FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Help Making Swizzles?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Help Making Swizzles?
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 1:15 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried making a small run of swizzles? I don't have any high pressure thermoplastic injection molding equipement, can you mold swizzles out of epoxy or resin? Would they be food safe?

Thanks

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 1:21 pm   Permalink

Id be inetrested to know to, I have a potential swizzle project coming up

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 3:46 pm   Permalink

Dawn, if we don't get no help we may just have to wing it!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 3:54 pm   Permalink

Mike:
I am surprised that you don't have any high pressure thermoplastic injection molding equipment on hand...

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 4:02 pm   Permalink

I'm surprised he hasn't made 20 or 30 prototypes today.

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 4:23 pm   Permalink

OK, the Zeros are ganging up on me

Today is "research on the internet while you are at work" day, maybe tomorrow will be prototype day

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-13 8:21 pm   Permalink

Hey Mike - you could make some out of dental acrylic! We used the stuff to make teeth, eyes, claws, and various other things while I was in the FX biz. Once cured, it is safe to put in the mouth - the only drawback is that the monomer used to cast it with is rather smelly and toxic. Nothing a good respirator couldn't handle - but if you have close neighbors they may complain. If you have walked by a nail salon in a mall and wondered what that nasty chemical smell was, it is casting acrylic. The cool stuff about dental acrylic is it can polish to a mirror sheen, and it can be cast up to look like very convincing bone and ivory.

Can't wait to see what you make - no matter what material you decide on!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-14 10:07 am   Permalink

Thanks Henrik. So difficult to tell if products are food safe, at least this one is certain. Comes in pink and several shades of white to ivory. I assume you could cast it in an RTV mold?

My dentist is amused by my experiments and even furnished me with some dental plaster once. I think it's time to go in for my 6 month check-up and pump him for information

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-14 11:51 am   Permalink

I believe it would work in RTV - we always used silicone molds when casting with it. It is a neat medium - aside from the toxic smell when casting. I've got some claws handing around here somewhere from one of the monster costumes I wore back in the day. If I can dig them up I'll snap some shots. You can also make it into a sculptable putty that you can shape (if you work quick).

Good luck at the dentist - no cavities!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-16 9:26 pm   Permalink

This probably won't get me any points with the sculpture community but I think my first attempt will be with...(drum roll please) SHRINKY DINKS!!!

Remember Shrinky Dinks from the 80s? Plastic sheets you draw on with a marker then bake in the oven. They shrink to 1/3 their original size and become 9 times thicker. They don't lose any of their detail and the colors actually becove more vibrant. Now they can be run through your inkjet printer. Problem is that they come in 8 x 10 sheets, even if they run the length of the sheet, 10 inches turns into 3 1/3 when shrunk - too short for a swizzle. So the plan will be to make personalized swizzle toppers that will glue to swizzles made from thin popsicle sticks or a bamboo skewers or plastic straws or ???

Tomorrow I will find out if they have Shrinky Dink sheets at my local Michael's

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 01:16 am   Permalink

Its been 4 days since you originally started this thread MDM...you should of already made like a dozen swizzles by now all trying different methods..

whats wrong?? are you slipping??

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-17 01:31 am   Permalink

Sorry, I worked 12 hr shifts on most of those 4 days

Hopefully I'll have a prototype by today

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-17 3:22 pm   Permalink

Well, so far so BAD!

The first attempt got hung up in the printer, then when I baked them to shrink they curled up and stuck to themselves. When they cooled and hardened they were all warped.

The good news is that the details and the colors were good as were the size and thickness. Out of time today, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-25 12:07 pm   Permalink

This was super fun to read. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-25 4:21 pm   Permalink

Here's a great idea from Buzzy/Babalu, I think I've seen those chopsticks at the dollar store or maybe Cost Plus World Markets

Quote:

On 2010-10-25 13:30, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Those tapered wooden chopsticks might work...I drilled a hole in a smaller resin casting I did and glued an inverted chop stick in it. The chopstick was one of those fancy carved handled ones that was pre stained and all nice & foodsafe.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation