FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Lanai, San Mateo, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
The Lanai, San Mateo, CA (restaurant)
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-25 17:46, Dustycajun wrote:
I picked up a souvenir photo holder from the Lanai at the paper show that had this photo inside.

Looks like a prom date night, no drinks but they were smoking.

DC

neato! it looks like sal mineo, jackie-o, ron perlman and patsy cline all hangin' out for a nite of booze and smokes.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jurneeka

Posted: 2013-05-02 4:25 pm   Permalink

Hola! I joined just so I could chime in on this thread since the dear departed Lanai has so many wonderful memories for me

Ill post more later, but very quickly wanted to mention that Lanai 2.0 (that wasnt the actual name but it escapes me at the moment) was located in the Parkside Shopping Center, a strip mall located on Norfolk Street at what is now called Fashion Island Blvd but what I still call East 19th Avenue. The shopping center has been there since the 1950s I believe. The current tenant in the old 2.0 space is a pawn shop, back when I was a kid it was a Bank of America branch.

Only went there a couple times - they unfortunately closed rather quickly. If you ever try to get to the center, you would know why, while it is right next to the 101, there is really no direct exit and especially for out-of-Towners is hard to find they would've done better opening in downtown San Mateo I think.

The taqueria that also displayed Lanai relics was located in Belmont - street name escapes me at the moment, just a very unassuming out of the way tiny strip mall which is located directly behind the Ralston Ave Arco - AM/PM right off the 101. Again a matter of a poorly chosen location. I did eat there at least once but again they didn't last long.

More later just wanted to fill in a bit - OH and on B street we have a tiki bar that just opened last year (Downtown Tiki Bar) - I will have to remember to ask the owner if his decor is from the Lanai!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Jurneeka 2013-05-02 16:28 ]

View Profile of Jurneeka Send a personal message to Jurneeka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ikele76

Posted: 2014-03-02 12:07 am   Permalink

Just ran across this on a friends FB page and boy does it bring back memories I am referring to the Lanai in San Mateo I moved to San Mateo about the time it was built and lived about a mile away . It not fair to mention the Lanai w/o a word about Bernard Who sometimes seemed like a grouch till he got to know you than he always found a table for us no matter how packed the place was. So I lift my Mai Tai to you my friend where ever you are. And also the Villa hotel had my daughters confirmation brunch there. Good old days when I was in my twenties now coming up on 85 it has been one hell of a ride Aloha Ikele

View Profile of Ikele76 Send a personal message to Ikele76      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-02 09:07 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting Ikele76 and Jurneeka. It's always fun to read recollections from people who were patrons of fabled Tiki restaurants/bars during their heyday!

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2014-03-02 09:08 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 1:48 pm   Permalink

Maybe, maybe not?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/4453930332.html

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:39 am   Permalink

Another souvenir photo from the Lanai.

A Tiki toast.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 4:52 pm   Permalink

Good one DC, looks like they're having a Navy Grog and a Side Winder's Fang.

This is unlikely, but the guy on the left with the Navy Grog reminds me of Robert Young (many movies, Father Knows Best, Marcus Welby, and Sanka).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation