advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Lanai, San Mateo, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Lanai, San Mateo, CA (restaurant)
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-22 7:27 pm   Permalink

On 2015-03-22 15:45, Dustycajun wrote:

Soooo, did you get the drink recipes yet? Very excited to see what turns up. In the meantime, lets head back to the grand opening of the Lanai Liquors.

Not yet. He comes out to spray every two months so probably sometime in April. I'll be nice and share the recipe(s) once I get them.

View Profile of Tiki501 Send a personal message to Tiki501  Email Tiki501 Goto the website of Tiki501     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-03-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Thanks DC for the new Lanai content! Fun to see the inside of the original Lanai Liquors.

And Tiki501, hope it pans out to see some of those recipes. 13-14 years ago I met one of the bartenders from the Lanai. He talked about his shoebox full of drink recipes, as well as the production process they had for making ice shells and all that stuff in the back. Unfortunately I am a bozo and dropped the ball, and never got more detail from him.

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-12 2:08 pm   Permalink

This photo in a book comes from a friend's book with vintage automobile ads. This was taken sometime in the 60's with a Corvair in front of The Luau. Thanks to Sven for identifying the location and to Haka for the suggestion to share it here.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2015-07-15 2:41 pm   Permalink

I remember the Lanai all to well. If you lived in the mid peninsula and you turned 21 the first stop was the Lanai. I have a friend of mine Alvin, who worked at the Villa Hotel for many years, and his mother worked in the coffee shop probably since it opened. There was a question about the new Lanai that opened in San Mateo after the original closed; my friend Mitchel Haake bought all the interior decor and opened the new Lanai, it was in a small shopping center across from the Fish Market and was built in the former B of A bank. I remember helping Mitchel build the inside of the new restaurant with the decor he bought and put it together as closely as possible to the original. I especially remember that the walk in cooler was the old bank vault.

Mitchel also owed T&B's in Belmont next to 101 at Ralston behind the gas station there. He now owes and operates Cilantro's down the Peninsula some, I think it's in San Carlos or Redwood city; been there but it's been a while

View Profile of gjgonzalez Send a personal message to gjgonzalez  Email gjgonzalez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation