FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tiki No, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki No, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-24 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-22 23:00, 1961surf wrote:
Anyone ever find out if the tiki sign is a re-creation or the actual Islander sign
that was in Grimes?

Joe Banks, Manuel and I were discussing the sign wile sitting at the bar recently and the bartender said it is a new sign. I got the impression that they knew of the original... although I'm a little fuzzy on that bit... I had already had a 'Sup (their tasty painkiller) and a Blue Hawaiian. at that point.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-24 5:52 pm   Permalink

Yah yah, the bane of Tiki archeology research: Cocktail-induced memory loss! The antidote: You have to drink exactly what you were imbibing when you were engaged in the research, re-live the situation!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

Here's my thoughts from my Zombie thread...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37580&forum=1&vpost=566604

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-12-21 6:50 pm   Permalink

Nice Tiki No write up today from Urbandaddy.com

Just Say No
Tiki No, by the Numbers

When a covert tiki bar comes along promising hazy nights of bamboo, flaming rum and the occasional DJ stint by Elijah Wood, you don’t want flowery prose. You want cold, hard, rummy facts. And so we present the quietly launched Tiki No, by the numbers...

Flaming tiki torches outside serving as beacons of rum: 4
Tempestuous rainstorms required to temporarily douse those torches: 1
Indoor/outdoor fireplaces within: 1
Drinks named after surfers: 5
Drinks called “Sup”: 1
Drinks called “Not Much”: 0
Drinks that serve four, delivered in a punch bowl: 1
Pools of flaming rum in punch bowl: 1
Hours of happy per week: 15 (Mon-Fri, 4-7pm)
Dollars a mai tai will cost you, anytime: 5
Intimate thatch-roof booths inside that are great for a low-key, hand-on-thigh-while-getting-gently-soused kind of date: 8
Hawaiian food trucks often parked outside on the weekends: 1
Chance Elijah Wood will be DJing here on any given night: roughly 1 in 15
Chance he’ll be DJing here this Thursday with an impressive arsenal of weird Christmas songs: 95%
Why it’s not 100%: traffic

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 10:25 am   Permalink

Tiki No got a nice write up in today's LA times.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Adjusted Link - 2011-01-07 18:52 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-07 11:34 am   Permalink

I think I'm going back to reading print media.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-09 5:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-07 11:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think I'm going back to reading print media.

why do you say that Sven?

JP showed me the article in the paper, but I didn't have time to read it.
Was the online version edited?

Did they change or take out some of the stuff you said in the interview?

I want to see the place,
but I am very skeptical of the drinks.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 10:12 am   Permalink

bump,
hoping for answer to above post.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 1:25 pm   Permalink

Sorry, didn't see the question. This was a joke, a direct reaction to Tiki Central crashing! Basically saying that I was very happy with the way the article was written: No mis-quotes, getting the basic facts straight, and objective.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 11:29 am   Permalink

ok, thanks for the clarification Sven,
Jeff(btd)

p.s. do you still use your AOL email?
sent you a e-mail

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-24 17:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yah yah, the bane of Tiki archeology research: Cocktail-induced memory loss! The antidote: You have to drink exactly what you were imbibing when you were engaged in the research, re-live the situation!

Oh, I like that reasoning!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-09 17:00, bigtikidude wrote:
I want to see the place,
but I am very skeptical of the drinks.

Jeff(btd)

Hey Jeff!

Some of the drinks are awesome, other not so much.

The best drinks are the Sup (a delicious painkiller), Blue Hawaiian, and Catnip. People also like the All Black, but it's a wee bit too blackstrappy for my taste... but it's also STRONG! (And during happy hour, it, like every drink, is 5 bucks!)

The mai tai is not so great... it's based on a 1944 recipe, but it's not very mai-taish. Too bad, it's always 5 bucks. And the Scorpion bowl tastes, as Kelly put it, like orange juice and rum... which is too bad, since I like driking things on fire.

Check it out, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 9:19 pm   Permalink

Just got back from Tiki No, I tried the Sup my husband tried the Mai-tai but asked for Bourbon instead of rum they were both good. The music was good, they were playing a variety of 60's to 80's music. The old TV was showing surfing movies and hula girls dancing. Bartender was very nice and accommodating she was wearing a Hawaiian print dress and the place was pretty full. I will definitely go back. I liked the decorations and the feel of the place, it is new but done well.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-12 10:25 pm   Permalink

I will check it out,
but I'm in no hurry,
and it's definitely not in my normal area of travel.

Jeff(btd)

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-12 22:25, bigtikidude wrote:
I will check it out,
but I'm in no hurry,
and it's definitely not in my normal area of travel.

Jeff(btd)

Nor mine - however, last night I made the journey from Palm Desert/Palm Springs to finally check this place out. Considering I would be gone most of the day, needed to insure I would have a quality drink. That meant Tiki-Ti as a first stop. After a Ray's Mistake (it was a bit sweet this time) and a 151 Rum Swizzle - I punched up my GPS and headed off for what was a fairly quick jump to Tiki No. But who knew - they don't open until 6 PM on a Saturday. So, after another quick jump I arrived at Tonga Hut (that was suppose to be my last stop) and had a Mai Tai and a Kelly Custom drink from Hiphipahula. They were both good - but no cigar - this was to be saved for Tiki No in the smoking area.

Finally, I made the jump to Tiki No.

The pictures on this thread are accurate. The comments placed by others are accurate. I loved the place. And, I am glad I first went to Tiki Ti..

I spoke with a tall pretty bartender with brunette hair and asked her what she thought about measured pours. She told me at first she hated it but is adjusting. She found the process to be to time consuming. I asked her if she had been to Tiki Ti yet and she said she had not. She did indicate that she wanted to go.

Personally, I think there should be a rule that any bartender working a tiki bar in LA should go to the Ti at least several times to learn why you need to use the correct rums and get the pours correct.

I will say this. Both Tonga Hut and the No both made great attempts to get it right. But you can't make your Mai Tai using Cruzan rums and then call them Trader Vic Mai Tais. The taste is simply way off.

Martin Cate gets it right because he understands that what goes into the drink is just as if not more important than the thatch or trappings of the decor.

Regardless, I will go back to Tiki No. I appreciate their efforts and I am sure that in time they will get it better. They are going to have to if they want to stay open.

In closing, I think this is why Don the Beachcombers is so wonderful. The atmosphere and the quality of the drinks go hand in hand.

Southern California - who knew we would see such a revival.

Now, can you do something for Palm Springs -

Lets not allow the reefer bar to go up in smoke - Rx it quickly.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation