FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Rounding off my first year of Tiki carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Rounding off my first year of Tiki carving
Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-16 11:47 am   Permalink

Been a while since I've posted anything, but here is a piece I just started.

The other project that's been keeping me away from the chisels.

View Profile of Tiki Russ Send a personal message to Tiki Russ  Goto the website of Tiki Russ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-22 6:45 pm   Permalink

It's been really cool following your thread and watching your carving progress from first tiki to now.
Great carves! I can't wait to see what's next.

Savage Daddy
www.savagedaddy.webs.com

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-23 12:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks Savage Daddy, I really enjoy your work as well! Just having a good time, but it's always good when the Tikis turn out nice!

Got a little bit more done on the latest one:

View Profile of Tiki Russ Send a personal message to Tiki Russ  Goto the website of Tiki Russ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 1:46 pm   Permalink

nice new piece bro!

Just be careful going thin on detail stuff...it totally sucks when they break!

I just learned that one the hard way recently when I had a 7 1/2 footer break in half on me.

Either way, great start.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
canyonlaketiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-25 10:00 pm   Permalink

I use to love to visit this site! Benzart,Mai Tiki,Crazy Al and the rest of the fine bunch of carvers that I havent mentioned.They are, and will continue to inspire me. But How do you expect these pioneers of carving to keep giving us inspiration and boost our spirits with their words of wisdom when their work is getting copied! Dude get your own style! You have copied enough, It is past flattery now! I cant believe no one else has called you out on it. Lets see some originals. You obviously have talent,Show it. My .02c, TikiStan

View Profile of canyonlaketiki Send a personal message to canyonlaketiki  Goto the website of canyonlaketiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-26 06:45 am   Permalink

Thanks pjc5150, it is getting a little delicate in the waist area.

TikiStan - Sorry you feel I'm copying work. I'm still in my infancy as a carver (1.5 years), and I'll admit I am mesmerized by the work of the artists on Tiki Central and I do draw on their knowledge and experience to make good artistic and design choices. That's part of developing a style and what I thought was the reason for this forum.

Next time you're in FL, stop by, we'll have a drink.
Mahalo

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 07:27 am   Permalink

huh? Who exactly is it he's supposed to be copying? That's a pretty shitty accusation. So, you've NEVER gotten ideas from looking at someone else's work? And since Tikis pre-date all of us, aren't we really ALL copying the ancient polynesians?

That last one looks pretty original to me. Don't be a dick.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 09:04 am   Permalink

Well fielded.
Carve deeper.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
canyonlaketiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-26 09:08 am   Permalink

Tiki Russ, Studying artist is what it is all about! And all artist deal with fact that we will be copied. But you have talent man! Doing a tribute piece to an artist is one thing, but going down the road of someone else's style, that is a waste of time. Thanks for the drink offer brother I appreciate that, Florida has some palm dust flying, Pretty cool!

Sidekick, I am not being a "dick" as you put it. But if you cannot see the style of the artist that I am talking about than you are an idiot!

View Profile of canyonlaketiki Send a personal message to canyonlaketiki  Goto the website of canyonlaketiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 10:06 am   Permalink

sidekick? no. never met the guy.

It just didn't seem like constructive criticism to me, more like you just calling the guy a hack. That's just my opinion. And I have a life outside of this message board so I'm not familiar with everyone's work. Sorry if that makes me an "idiot".

Have a nice day.

Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-26 4:28 pm   Permalink

If a blues riff hadn't been "copied" would rock have been invented?

Crazy Al is one of my biggest inspirations and if you feel I've copied him/his style, and if it even remotely resembles his work... I'll take that as a compliment, but it wasn't intended as a copy of his style or any of his pieces.

The latest one, I'm trying to go more traditional. If you look through my work, I think you'll see I've tried many different styles.

Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:07 pm   Permalink

Here are some of the latest chops on the current piece. This one is for my wife's grandparents, I've done some other pieces for them but they've been asking for this for a while. USPS won't deliver to their door slot anymore.

Also added a little color too, bet you can't guess what their street number is.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-29 12:07, Tiki Russ wrote:
... bet you can't guess what their street number is.

One of the most Tiki numbers ever, 135?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Russ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:23 pm   Permalink

Nope.

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:28 pm   Permalink

dude that turned out SIIICK!! Really like the implementation of the mailbox. Colors are very cool as well. Great Job!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation