FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge What the hell is "SteamPunk"? I don't get it, or the namesake...
What the hell is "SteamPunk"? I don't get it, or the namesake...
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 4:46 pm   Permalink

OK, so I'm not totally naive about what the reference of steampunk is, I suppose...It's like the old 'contraptions' and inventions during the mid to late 1800's early 1900's, correct? If so, and Fictionally speaking, the TV show "The Wild, Wild, West" would be considered steampunk...Is that also an accurate statement?
If so, where does the "Punk" in Steampunk come from? Shouldn't it have been called "Steam-Mech", or "SteamEra"...? When I first heard this term years ago, I pictured a bunch of skinheads in a hot, seedy club moshpit...You know those old nightclubs that used to run the heater during summer, just to sell more drinks?

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2010-10-23 5:16 pm   Permalink

''Steampunk: sub-genre of science fiction and speculative fiction, frequently featuring elements of fantasy, that came into prominence (??) during the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era Britain but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical engine).'' [Wikipedia]

It is an interesting design genre indeed. I agree with you on the "punk" reference...weird. It is remotely popular in kitchens and appliances that 7th pic below is actually a fridge.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-23 5:28 pm   Permalink

I don't think the suffix "Punk" was any significant meaning with this genre. I think it's just an homage to the term "CyberPunk" which is a slightly earlier Science-Fiction genre. SteamPunk adopted the moniker with "Steam" being the dominant form of technology instead of Cybernetics. Several other science fiction genre's have also used the "Punk" suffix - CyberPunk started it all.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-23 6:37 pm   Permalink

Waayyyy back in the 1980's Cyberpunk authors William Gibson and Bruce Sterling wrote a sorta Sci Fi novel "The Difference Engine" that takes place during Victorian times. My memory is a little fuzzy but the idea was: what if the early Babbage calculating machine were a reality and adopted by the Victorian government. Thus an 1850's London run by steam powered "computers". As I recall, the novel was boring but an ingenious concept. Thus critics quickly dubbed the term Steampunk since it was written by Cyberpunk authors.

So... take any modern technical innovation and put it in a Victorian setting.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-24 10:42 am   Permalink

The only steampunk I'm interested in is the one making my latte! I find the entire genre more than boring - especially when it comes to jewelry and wearable art. If I have to dig through one more bin of "gears, keys and old-timey watch faces" to get to the REAL jewelry components, I'm gonna scream!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-24 11:42 am   Permalink

And Atomic Tiki Punk is adding bamboo, thatching, luahala, etc. to resemble things in tiki bars from the Atomic era.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-24 9:04 pm   Permalink

The tern "Steampunk" was coined by James P Blaylock (with tongue firmly in cheek) in reference to the novel "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.
There is a lot of interesting back story to this sub-genre and it has been the subject of at least one one Master's thesis.
Google for more details on your own, I find that when I talk about it in more detail most 'danes eyes glaze over.

[ This Message was edited by: zond2 2010-10-24 21:06 ]

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-10 9:09 pm   Permalink

Would this be 1950s Steampunk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQUa2OKdgb8&feature=player_embedded

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-04-10 9:57 pm   Permalink

Wow...that is a great find. Certainly has steam and punks...LOL

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-17 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-10 21:09, MadDogMike wrote:
Would this be 1950s Steampunk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQUa2OKdgb8&feature=player_embedded

great find, Mike.

here is more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyn%C3%A1lez_zk%C3%A1zy

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-06-19 05:20 am   Permalink

Here is a fully steampunk outfitted apartment...

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/06/18/inside-look-nycs-steampunk-loft-video/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl12%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D170884

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-25 4:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-19 05:20, VampiressRN wrote:
Here is a fully steampunk outfitted apartment...

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/06/18/inside-look-nycs-steampunk-loft-video/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl12%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D170884

That link is now broken. Here's a working link to the same video...
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/06/19/inside-look-nycs-steampunk-loft-video/

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation