FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Other Crafts ╗ ╗ Cursed tikis set 2... Joe Strummer!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cursed tikis set 2... Joe Strummer!!!!
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 10:14 pm   Permalink

Angry Samoans

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-26 22:20 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Witch Doctor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 10:18 pm   Permalink

I was just dusting My Sven mug and it feel off my shelf and broke (bad Ju JU)...hahahahahh

View Profile of The Witch Doctor Send a personal message to The Witch Doctor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-26 21:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am sorry, but I just gotta say this: Portrait mugs, be they of Don Ho, Jack Lord, OR Johnny Rotten, are just ....so....WRONG! Shudder.

But I like my Bamboo Ben & Don Beach mugs!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Witch Doctor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 10:27 pm   Permalink

Here is one i made for my buddy for his birthday.. what a way to honor your best bud of 20 + years , but with his own tiki mug.........

View Profile of The Witch Doctor Send a personal message to The Witch Doctor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 11:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for being tolerant, kids, it's just my personal opinion, please.

Naturalistic portrait mugs lie for me somewhere between resin Elvis statues....

...and Disney-character "Tikis":

Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that.

The Sven portrait mug joke doesn't quite stick, because when in 2001 Squid whipped up the first version of the Sven-Tiki mug, it looked like this:

...and I recoiled in horror! While it certainly was a fine sculpting job, and flattering to see myself as a bust, it just was so ...un-Tiki. So I sat down with Squid and we squeezed out something that was primarily a cool Tiki mug, and then maybe somewhere had a vague resemblance to moi.

I leave the close-to-life figurines to such companies as Design Toscano and other resin "art" manufacturers that supply the vast market of celebrity collectibles.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 11:25 pm   Permalink

"Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that."

Witch Doctor so Sven has said so shall it be law!!

Why can't people show off their work without the constant lecturing and hot air "opinions". Everyone is pretty tired of it these days.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-26 11:33 pm   Permalink

Well, as opposed to the other participants in this thread who all seemed to have taken this in good humor, it primarily seems to be you Liz who is, and has been, pretty tired of my opinions. If you choose to see my well-founded theories about the unique qualities that distinguish Tiki art from other less unique art forms as "hot air", that is your prob, babe.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 12:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-26 23:25, leleliz wrote:

"Tiki mugs, just like Tikis, are not meant to be realistic depictions of someone, the whole reason why Tiki art is cool is because it is stylized version of the human form: Modernist, primitive, or cartoony - or all of that."

Witch Doctor so Sven has said so shall it be law!!

Why can't people show off their work without the constant lecturing and hot air "opinions". Everyone is pretty tired of it these days.

Sounds like a lecture to me.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 12:55 am   Permalink

Hey that's the flying head in Zardoz!

The Witch Doctor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 06:24 am   Permalink

hahahhahaha

well now my feelings are hurt.. and I'll never make another tiki again

can someone send me some glue to fix my Broken Sven mug?????!!!!!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-27 00:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hey that's the flying head in Zardoz!

I know, it's kinda scary, innit? I bet Liz would love to have it though to throw rotten tomatoes at!

WitchDr., I now realize that American politeness would have required me to precede my critique with an ample laudatio of your other mug designs, which are indeed fine pieces of sculpting, as well as the Joe Strummer mug really is. Mine was more a knee-jerk reaction to the fallen Punk hero tangent that you guys went off on, where in my minds eye I saw this army of Punk rocker mugs marching towards me, and I got scared!

It is my fate that whenever I do voice my educated opinion on Tiki matters here, because of my position some think I am pontificating, while I am really just explaining where I am coming from. And I am always open to intelligent counter-arguments to make me realize my erring ways, but they have to be a little more constructive than accusations of "hot air".

And thanks to your sense of humor displayed in your responses I rest assured that my position on portrait mugs will not truly affect your punk rock line idea, for there are obviously enough people out there who WILL appreciate them - maybe a Johnny Rotten sneering "Up Yours!"?

P.S.: Ooops, I just remembered that "Up Yours" was Poly Styrene's /X-Ray Spex's slogan! Forgive this old man's brain, it's been over 30 years since I witnessed them during the shooting of this endearingly naive document from 1977:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzhDvZ2Q2B0&feature=related

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-27 13:36 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 1:25 pm   Permalink

That would be "Oh Bondage! Up yours!" and those where the Daze!

bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-26 23:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, as opposed to the other participants in this thread who all seemed to have taken this in good humor, it primarily seems to be you Liz who is, and has been, pretty tired of my opinions. If you choose to see my well-founded theories about the unique qualities that distinguish Tiki art from other less unique art forms as "hot air", that is your prob, babe.

I'll be happy to back Liz up.
whatever you do, do not question bigbros opinions. You run the risk of being subjected to him quoting himself endlessly: "(I defined the term tiki", "I wrote the book", "souless hacks of wood"....blah blah blah.
yeah we get it already.
instead of saying "gee, maybe I was out of line, sorry", it's always some long winded(hot air)explanation of why you were correct in the first place.
yeesh, what an ego

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 7:12 pm   Permalink

Witch Doctor that is so cool that you would make a mug for a friend, very cool!
and a very "Tiki" thing to do! for a buddy.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-27 7:19 pm   Permalink

Ole! Thanx Bigbrosven and Squid! And I agree with you Sven. You explain things super clear and that is the best of it all. You are super serious German style on how you support your theories. You founded Tiki Archeology. Keep doing it and setting the standard.
You SHOULD make that mug now, just for fun and as an example of what it shouldn't be. The name of the signature coctail could be "Sven's headache".
My two pesos.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation