FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-16 9:54 pm   Permalink

Hello, my first post. Shag led me to tiki who led me here. Have a date in Jacksonville any good Tiki Bar's there. Got the Mia Kia locally, but that does me no good as I'm in South FL. Will be there for Hukilau. Got Shecky #119 along a bunch of other great munktiki stuff, going through that big ole box of packing peanuts and picking out new Tiki's I'd forgotten I'd ordered was the best. Shecky's cool, what's the divot thing on mini-shecky? Whose is the buttcrack? My drink, 2 oz Stoli, 2 tbsp rose's, shaken with crushed ice, strained and garnished with crushed ice, served in the Lil Bastard (A gimlet). Aloha
Tim

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-18 08:04 am   Permalink

Tim,
I really, really hope I get contradicted on this, but I havn't found a real tiki bar in this area in the 7 years I've lived here. There are and have been the occasional open air/thatched roof bars, but nothing that comes close to 1% of the Mai Kai.
Gary of "BadAss Tikis" carving fame is out at Jax Beach. Website is (strangely enough)
http://www.badasstikis.com
I'll keep doing research though.

-JTD

[ This Message was edited by: JTD on 2003-05-18 10:36 ]

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-18 08:31 am   Permalink

i lived in st. augustine for a year and a half, and i unfortunately never heard about any tiki bars in the jax area (including st aug), either.
seems like jax beach would be prime for that, since there is all that pseudo-surf culture and there are tons of bars & restaurants littering the coast.
what tiki central needs is a benefactor with bill gates money. "no tiki bar in jax? there is now."
ahhh, to dream...

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-19 06:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-01-09 12:31 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-19 10:17 am   Permalink

Very sorry to hear about your daughter. We'll all be pulling for her and a speedy recovery.

All the best,

Martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-19 8:27 pm   Permalink

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 2:51 pm   Permalink

I have a matchbook for a place called "Trader Glick's" in Jacksonville. The art work blatantly rips off Trader Vics graphics. Probably opened and closed fairly quickly.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 7:02 pm   Permalink

Here's the info. on Trader Glick's from the matchcover.

Trader Glicks
World famous for over 30 years
Open daily from 3 pm
Hawaiian Specialties - Steaks
A Tank Full of Live Lobsters
Every Kind of Florida Seafood
4172 Phillips Highway
Jacksonville, FLA

(I guess I was wrong about it opening and closing rather quickly. Maybe it is still there?)
Anyone up that way might also want to look for the Aloha Motor Lodge & Restaraunt in Hilliard. Address is RT.1 at intersection of 301 and 23, St. Mary's River at FLA. - GA. state line. The postcard shows a large A-frame building and swimming pool. The card looks to be from the 60's, but the building might still be there.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 7:27 pm   Permalink

i'll be driving the east coast from orlando to rhode island in june - i'll see if i can find that place and report back.
r

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

I'll drive by there tomorrow to see if the original building still exists, but reverse address directory came up with....

Gibbs Tire
4172 Phillips Highway, Jacksonville, FL

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 8:43 pm   Permalink

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter TF. I'll say a little prayer for her tonight.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 9:41 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-01-09 12:31 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 6:40 pm   Permalink

Gibbs Tire - now Apple Tire. 4172 Phillips Highway is indeed a tire store. But it is a nasty, dumpy little cement block building that I cannot believe was ever a Tiki anything, let alone for 30 years. I'll ask around amongst the old-timers re: Trader Glick's, but based on the existing evidence, it is not promising.

- JTD

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 09:50 am   Permalink

I'll check the address again when I'm at home... and verify it for you. If you can get an old phone directory, it might be listed there.

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 5:09 pm   Permalink

Bumping this old thread as I am coming to Jax later in August for a job interview. So how has the tiki scene improved since these last postings? Anyone, anyone, Buehler, Beuhler?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation