FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 05:45 am   Permalink

There is a tiki bar (meaning there are tikis and bamboo used in the decor) in Jacksonville Beach near the peir, fronting the ocean. Not vintage, but not the usual Florida "tiki" hut either. Wahine Marian and I visited Mr. and Mrs. Neptunetiki last weekend and they showed it to us. I would hang there.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-25 5:39 pm   Permalink

Still no new "real" tiki experiences in Jacksonville. Perhaps the last "real" tiki was the old Garden of Tiki restaurant, but I missed seeing that because it closed shortly before I discovered tiki. If there are any tikiphile ohana in Jacksonville who want to get together for a cocktail party, road trip, etc. please get in touch!
--Frank

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DeltaLoungeTikiBar

Posted: 2011-01-25 6:25 pm   Permalink

I'm looking to open a Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, Florida and mainly targeting the Atlantic Beach/Jacksonville Beach area.

If there have been any recent spottings of a Tiki Bar or similar bar anywhere in the Jacksonville area, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rob

View Profile of DeltaLoungeTikiBar Send a personal message to DeltaLoungeTikiBar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 05:02 am   Permalink

The closest thing to a tiki bar that I know of is the Trade Winds in St Augustine. Build it and they will come Delta. Let me know if you need any assistance.

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DeltaLoungeTikiBar

Posted: 2011-01-26 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-26 05:02, Jax Tiki wrote:
The closest thing to a tiki bar that I know of is the Trade Winds in St Augustine. Build it and they will come Delta. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Thanks, Jax. I'm working on the business plan now and will have it completed by May. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, do you suggest any areas of Jacksonville over others?

View Profile of DeltaLoungeTikiBar Send a personal message to DeltaLoungeTikiBar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-10 4:59 pm   Permalink

I'll reach in and bump this thread too... I've been here 15 years now, and the closest real tiki that Jacksonville has had, to my knowledge, was the Garden of Tiki restaurant at the intersection of Atlantic Blvd and Monument Road. Sadly, it closed about 6 years ago. But that's all I can say for Jacksonville at the moment, and I do hope it changes! There is quite a bit of retro SWING culture here, but it has not connected with Polynesian pop, Hawaiiana, or tiki. Maybe someday? What this place needs is a small and intimate tiki experience, small enough to remain in business, and then expand if business warrants. I am reminded of Frankie's Tiki Room in Las Vegas. Here's to Jacksonville and future tiki!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 06:31 am   Permalink

I'm bumping this thread, it's been a whole year since my last post to this thread... Are there any tiki ohana in Jacksonville? I just got back from The Hukilau tiki fest in Fort Lauderdale, wow, had a great time! Still hoping for a tiki revival here, soon, in northeast Florida. I have a fairly well-stocked bar and make my own syrups. It would be very nice to have a monthly get-together with local tiki fans here in Jax.

Okole maluna!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 08:54 am   Permalink

I've been Google searching and just found the news below (4/17/2012) for Jacksonville. A new Polynesian restaurant, with a "tiki lounge," is part of the plan but only time will tell how tiki it will actually be. If we could get a group of Jacksonville tiki aficionados together, then maybe the owner would be interested in organizing some sort of opportunity for us to show him how we would welcome his business and help get the word out to our tiki friends? Let's hope this establishment will be serving true craftsmanship in their cocktails with fresh juices and syrups. We need to see good and true tiki (and not just pop-culture Hawaiiana) return to Jacksonville. I'm going to visit this chain's web site and look for more detail later this afternoon. If you're a Jacksonville tiki aficionado, please send me a note. AceExplorer 'at' gmail dot com.
--Frank

Da Big Kahuna Restaurant & Tiki Lounge has plans for Jacksonville Beach
Submitted by Gary Mills on April 17, 2012 - 3:35pm
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/423471/gary-mills/2012-04-17/da-big-kahuna-restaurant-tiki-lounge-has-plans
GARY T. MILLS/The Times-Union
Work is under way in Jacksonville Beach to transform the former Tento Churrascaria into the Da Big Kahuna Restaurant & Tiki Lounge.
Jacksonville Beach, already home to Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine, will soon welcome more of the aloha spirit when Da Big Kahuna Restaurant & Tiki Lounge opens later this year.
With building permits in hand, work has begun transforming the former Tento Churrascaria at 526 First St. N. into the Polynesian-themed restaurant.
The restaurant will be the third of its kind for owner Steve Tsuchiya, who opened his first Da Big Kahuna eight years ago in Hawaii, followed by a second restaurant in Fort Lauderdale nearly two years ago.
If the Jacksonville Beach location is anything like Tsuchiya’s Fort Lauderdale restaurant, look for a taste of Hawaii not just on the Da Big Kahuna’s menu and décor, but also on stage: the Fort Lauderdale location hosts a weekly hula show on Fridays, according to the restaurant’s website.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 10:15 am   Permalink

Found their website:

http://dabigkahuna.net/

It's cool that they have hula dancer shows, but I'm not sure that you're going to get much real tiki beyond that.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 12:22 pm   Permalink

The one here isn FTL is cool place for a Beach Bar (foam tikis and Jimmy Buffet) - not so much for the enthusiastic Tiki snobs. Every Friday night Polynesian Proud puts on a floor show - they are really good! Just keep an eye out for the occasional over-drunk tourist or Spring Breaker. Jacksonville will make a good fit.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 10:01 am   Permalink

My thoughts exactly.

You need to keep an eye on the thread for the The Blowfish Bar in Flagler Beach. TikiTom periodically has parties there that bring tiki folks from all along the coast -- as well as just being really swell parties!

And if you're ever down the Space Coast way, we'd love to have you over to The Storm Shelter.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CarvingBike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-25 4:19 pm   Permalink

Hello, I was also at The Hukilau and had a great time! I live in Jax Bch and would love to get together for some quality cocktails. I have not tried them yet, but Roy's restaurant claims to offer a vintage Mai Tai. If anybody wants to get together please let me know, I'd love to meet some local Tiki fans!
Rick

View Profile of CarvingBike Send a personal message to CarvingBike  Goto the website of CarvingBike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-26 11:51 am   Permalink

Rick, I'll take you up on that, let's explore Roy's and talk tiki soon! We need Jacksonville tiki folk to come out of the woods and build a local ohana. I'll be in touch to discuss when we can plan a visit to Roy's. We'll post details here - all are welcome!

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 07:53 am   Permalink

I like it - recruiting local talent!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29912&forum=7&start=165

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-27 08:07 am   Permalink

Tyler, awesome tiki carvings! And I see that you have been commissioned to do four to be installed at Da Big Kahuna. They look great! Can you post opening day info here so that we can celebrate, er, attend, and support the bar, the owner, and you? Would like to be at the opening, and also would enjoy meeting you. Maybe Rick can join us too.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation