FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Bar in Jacksonville, FL?
CarvingBike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-29 4:58 pm   Permalink

Tyler, Very nice looking carvings! I'm really psyched for Da Big Kahuna to open! I hope they have some good tiki drinks. I'll be keeping an eye out for their opening date & plan on being there! Hopefully we can convince them that they ought to have a weekly Exotica music night.
Rick
http://www.CarvingBike.com

[ This Message was edited by: CarvingBike 2012-04-29 16:59 ]

View Profile of CarvingBike Send a personal message to CarvingBike  Goto the website of CarvingBike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CarvingBike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-06 5:21 pm   Permalink

I've been riding my bike by Da Big Kahuna to see how it's progressing, today I found out that they plan on opening up this Tuesday evening. I'm planning on checking it out opening night, anyone want to join me?

View Profile of CarvingBike Send a personal message to CarvingBike  Goto the website of CarvingBike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 06:44 am   Permalink

I'll definitely come out and join you, sounds like it will be a good night! I'll be wearing shorts, flip-flops and a Florida-themed shirt with a pseudo-Hawaiian print that includes lots of pink flamingos.

I sent email to "admin@dabigkahuna.net" asking for a confirmation, and I'll post again here when they respond. If this really happens (which it sounds like it will -- thanks to CarvingBike for the heads up!) then this would be an open invitation for all the northeast Florida tiki o'hana to come out and join us for an informal meet & greet.

Frank

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 1:45 pm   Permalink

[JUST CONFIRMED - Da Big Kahuna Soft Opening on Tuesday 5/8/2012 at 5pm in Jacksonville Beach. More details below. Let's identify ourselves as "the group from Tiki Central" as we arrive with a group size of about 6? I'll see you there around 6pm. Thanks to Rick for calling this to our attention. --Frank]

Aloha Frank,

Thanks for your email.. We are very excited to be in Jacksonville and will definitely welcome you and your group! We are planning a soft opening tomorrow at 5pm.. Meaning that it may be a limited menu, and we are still waiting on a lot of our tiki decor to come in from Hawaii! During this time, we hope to get any kinks out of our operation, as we look to perfect our operation before Memorial Day weekend.. We will be planning our Grand Opening soon after that, and I will be glad to put you and your group on our invite list for the VIP portion of the Grand Opening as well.. Once again, thanks for your interest and welcoming us to Jax Beach!!

Mahalo,
Steve Tsuchiya
Da Big Kahuna Restaurant & Tiki Lounge

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-09 11:45 pm   Permalink

I will be going home to JAX next week for business. WooHoo!! I'm stoked there's a TIKI hang out there now. Any local TCer's interested in meetin' up for a mai tai or 2? See ya there!

Clintiki

View Profile of clintiki Send a personal message to clintiki  Email clintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Clintiki, I'll commit to meeting up with you, set a convenient evening in your schedule and we'll see who can make it out there. Will reach out to the others who have emailed me here, it's time for a gathering of the Jacksonville ohana!

clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-10 6:28 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Ace. I will let you know what my time will be out there next week. I will be leaving here from Indiana either the 18, or 19th. The 20th (Friday) will probably be the best night to meet up if that suits you & the others. Really excited for this to go down. JAX Ohana, at last, at last! I will PM you before I leave here and give you my cell# so we can plan. Again Mucho Mahalo!..

Clintiki

View Profile of clintiki Send a personal message to clintiki  Email clintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-11 09:43 am   Permalink

And if you can only make it half-way down, I'm sure we can get some of the Brevard folks together for a tiki gathering that weekend!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-11 8:59 pm   Permalink

Shoot Tiki Hard Bop, you're only 2 1/2 hrs. down the 95! That's definitely close enough for a visit. Lemme see how my plans go over the next few days and I'll PM ya. What a bonus that would be, mahalo!

Clintiki

AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-19 04:17 am   Permalink

Several of us in Jacksonville are meeting up at Big Kahuna at the Beach on Friday evening, July 20th, after work starting around 6pm or so. This is an open invitation to anyone who can join us. Hope to see you there!

clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-28 7:19 pm   Permalink

Hey Frank! mahalo for meeting me down there at Da Big Kahuna last Tuesday. It was a great experience to meet a fellow tikiphile & enjoy those Mai Tai's (even thought they were a little weak! lol) Can't wait to get some of yer drink recipes through email. Please PM me with yer email, and I'll keep in touch. Thanks again my friend. Take care & may the tiki gods smile down upon ya!

Clintiki

The Son of Trader Glick

Posted: 2013-05-08 09:44 am   Permalink

I don't know if any of you are interested, but I can give you some first-hand information about the old Trader Glick's on Phillips Hwy in Jacksonville. My dad owned that place, but it was closed shortly after his successful suicide on Father's Day in 1971. My stepmother was an alcoholic and had no idea how to manage a business, so that's why it collapsed. Seems her forte was spending my father's money, not participating in earning it.

If I recall correctly, my father opened Trader Glick's somewhere around 1966 or 1967, maybe as late as 1968. His big claim to fame was a former restaurant on the St. John's river front called "The Lobster House." See....

http://vintagejacksonville.net/2011/07/05/lobster-house/

http://www.jaxhistory.com/Jacksonville%20Story/Picture%20of%20Creature%20from%20Black%20Lagoon.htm

A year or two before he died he also owned another restaurant/nightclub, later turned Dinner Theater, called "Trader Glick's Lobster House." I don't remember the address of that restaurant, I just remember that we had to cross a toll bridge to get to it, and that it was maybe a 30 minute drive from the Phillips Hwy.

Trader Glick's served both American and Polynesian food. And yes, there were tikis. Seems like that was the big thing at the time, or at least something my dad liked. I just remember being able to order all the egg rolls I could eat whenever we would visit my dad (my parents divorced when I was around 4 years old). I remember my dad always wearing those flowery shirts like in the photos above, and it seems like his waitstaff wore something similar. I also remember a Live Lobster Tank where customers could hand-pick what they wanted for dinner.

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Oh, and if you're wondering how I found this thread, every once in a while I do a little more digging into my father's life, trying to unravel the mystery of why he would take his life when he had children to raise.

Kind regards,

The Son Of Trader Glick

View Profile of The Son of Trader Glick Send a personal message to The Son of Trader Glick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-08 10:22 am   Permalink

Son of Trader Glick:

Thanks for posting that info and the links to the photos and stories. Do you have any menus or interior photos of the old Lobster House you can share? I live here in Jacksonville and totally appreciate what you're doing. I've spent time myself observing and photographing some of the remnants of old Jacksonville history, and sadly, there is little or no tiki history left. Send a private message if you ever would like help photographing or looking for remnants of this kind of stuff.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 03:54 am   Permalink

Welcome Son of Trader Glick!

Although I'm terribly sorry to hear about your father's tragic end, it would appear that he lead a very interesting life. Hopefully, some contributors here can help you learn more about the restaurant.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Son of Trader Glick

Posted: 2013-05-09 08:52 am   Permalink

AceExplorer & Hale Tiki,

Thank you both for for your replies. With regard to photos, my younger brother has all of that stuff. He was nice enough to make Xerox copies of the photos for me 20 some-odd years ago, but didn't trust me with the original prints. Guess you can tell there are some strange family dynamics at work here. Part of that is my fault because I wouldn't accept the standard family explanation as to why my dad took his own life. I wanted to know the truth. I've mostly discovered the answers I was looking for, but there still remain some questions that I may never find answers to. Memories fade, people die, and time moves on.

I remember Trader Glick's quite well. We would visit dad 6 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week during spring-break. I was 11 years old when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and I watched it from his house trailer located behind the restaurant. And yes, he did lead an interesting life.

Now, may I ask you guys a question? What's the interest with all this Tiki stuff? Is this really a hobby for folks?

Thanks,

The Son Of Trader Glick

View Profile of The Son of Trader Glick Send a personal message to The Son of Trader Glick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation