FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Save Luau Room in Louisville, KY
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Save Luau Room in Louisville, KY
Fonduie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-17 2:18 pm   Permalink

What a treasure! The A-frame, the bamboo ceiling, the thatch, and of course the TIKI! You unearthed something really special over there in Kentucky. I'm so pleased that it has survived this long. Impressive.

View Profile of Fonduie Send a personal message to Fonduie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-20 06:15 am   Permalink

*UPDATE*UPDATE*UPDATE*

Yesterday the new signs went up! A nice neon one in the A-frame's window and a vinyl one on the signboard by the street. I didn't see the neon lit up, the sign company trucks were still there, it was afternoon.

It's the outline of an island, with the word DREAMS written across it, and a palm tree. On the left of the island image it says B2 with the 2 written the way you would to mean "B squared", you know, small and high. To the right of the island image it says A.R.E. Any ideas what all that means?

I'll drive over there today and take a picture, and see what other info I can gather.

Friki Tiki: I did NOT get your email, but welcome aboard! Always especially glad to hear from another Louisvillian.

the75stingray: Hope to see you there often too.

The Louisville Tiki Society stirs to life...

View Profile of Nineveh Send a personal message to Nineveh  Email Nineveh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-20 06:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-17 14:18, Fonduie wrote:
What a treasure! The A-frame, the bamboo ceiling, the thatch, and of course the TIKI!

Fonduie:
That's just one of several Tikis in the place, all of them magnificent.

View Profile of Nineveh Send a personal message to Nineveh  Email Nineveh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 08:42 am   Permalink

"Dreams"? "B.A.R.E."? Uh... did Mike say anything about making it a strip club?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-20 08:58 am   Permalink

Be there or be square?

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-20 09:19 am   Permalink

B2 Dreams A.R.E. I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-26 07:09 am   Permalink

There was a write-up on the resurgence of Tiki yesterday in the Louisville Courier-Journal. It mentioned the Luau Room briefly.

http://www.courier-journal.com/features/

the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 2:47 pm   Permalink

I'm going to be in that area on some business tomorrow. I'll definately try to make it by there.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 8:22 pm   Permalink

Well, I made it back from my trip...barely.

Nineveh, I stopped and spoke with Mike. He is a pretty nice guy and admits he is clueless about Tiki & Polynesian style entertainment. I was disappointed to see the ethnic / hip hop look going into club, taking away from it's origin. Something un-characteristic about walking through a medal detector before entering a Tiki establishment.

The Club sits in an older area that appears racially intergrated and combines residential and industrial settings.

There appears to be adequate parking, but my biggest concern (coming from the racially divided Cincinnati area) is going to be whether or not the "Tiki" theme, and it's potential patrons, would be welcomed by the locals of the establishment.

We spoke briefly about the idea of having a "Tiki night" on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, but he had concerns that no one would show for it. I told him that, despite the 3 + hour drive from Dayton, that I would try to make it down if he did that. But the more I thought about that, the more I doubt if it would be feasable.

I am hopeful that some of our Columbus members would be interested in going down if we he goes forward with that.

Any members in Columbus, Dayton or Cincy that would be interested in a road trip on a weeknight? That would be rough.
If not, I'd certainly go on a Saturday, where we can get down there, hang out and drive back home in a 9 hour period.

The place certainly has retained it's potential - there is no doubt about that.

I'd like to see some feedback from some local folks.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-29 06:48 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-06-28 20:22, the75stingray wrote:

I was disappointed to see the ethnic / hip hop look going into club, taking away from it's origin. Something un-characteristic about walking through a medal detector before entering a Tiki establishment.
[quote]

Oh great, that's just lovely. I hadn't seen that because I didn't want to keep bugging him before it opens. I was encouraged by the palm tree sign and the fact that he put banana trees on either side of the door.

[quote]
The Club sits in an older area that appears racially intergrated and combines residential and industrial settings.
[quote]

Yes, it's at Fourth and Industry, a few blocks from Churchill Downs and the newly built and ridiculously popular Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. There are some houses nearby but they are lower income. However, it is .3 miles from *all* the University of Louisville student dormitories and frat houses. It is also half a mile from Old Louisville, a section of town comprised of Victorian mansions inhabited by U of L students, artists and pagans, rich gay men, and drug addicts.
You can have a newly-rehabbed, decked-to-the-teeth mansion that is on the Christmas homes tour right next door to a slumlord-run apartment of students.

[quote]
There appears to be adequate parking, but my biggest concern (coming from the racially divided Cincinnati area) is going to be whether or not the "Tiki" theme, and it's potential patrons, would be welcomed by the locals of the establishment.
[quote]

On the parking issue, it used to be a Kroger grocery store.
I'm hoping the close proximity of the college students (and the artists and pagans and rich gay men) will help booster the success of the Tiki theme.

[quote]
We spoke briefly about the idea of having a "Tiki night" on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, but he had concerns that no one would show for it.
[quote]

I talked to him about that too, and that's why I'm desperately trying to find other Louisville Tikiphiles. So far The Louisville Tiki Society has 6 local members, and after the article on Tiki last Wednesday in the paper I wrote to the reporter and the local chef and Tikiphile who was featured in it (John Castro.) Still waiting for replies.

[quote]
The place certainly has retained it's potential - there is no doubt about that.
[quote]

Absolutely, and I have good news. I talked to someone who also talked to a guy behind the counter when it was a Salvation Army. She says he told her that THE OWNER HAS ALL THE DECOR IN STORAGE AND HOPES TO RE-OPEN IT AS A TIKI BAR SOMEDAY.

She also said the guy wasn't cool with her taking pictures and followed her around. This is in stark contrast to the guy I talked to, who didn't know anything about it but couldn't care less how many pictures I took.

So I think the next mission is to talk to the owner.

Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 1:35 pm   Permalink

I drove past this place by accident this weekend. They have some fake palm trees outfront.

Also, does Bahama Breeze have a gift shop? We ate there and I didn't see one! The food was really good (if not tiki) and some of the artwork on the walls was amazing.

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 6:29 pm   Permalink

Any updates on this place? I may be going to Louisville in May and would love to see something tiki...

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-05 10:24 am   Permalink

Roys- Nope. Bahama Breeze doesnt have a gift shop. Great food, Pleasant atmosphere, good service and a first rate mens room, though.

I have not heard anymore about the Louisville bar...never heard back from Mike about a tiki night and, honestly, just never made it back down that way in a while.

Again, it's not a place I would suggest going on just any regular night.

When I went in, during the middle of the day, before they were opened, I got a lot of "what the hell is he doing here?" looks.

Aside from Mike, I did not feel welcomed...lets leave it at that.

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 10:37 am   Permalink

Slacks, if you;'re REALLY hard up for some sort of almost-Tiki IN Loisvulle, there are Joe's Palm Room, and the Polynesian Palace, but I would not go anywhere near either of them if I were you.

Both are listed briefly in Tiki Road Trip, and are reviewed in more detail on The Tiki Bar Review Pages (under the Kentucky heading, natch).
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 1:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tikibars!

I will take yr advice on those places. Perhaps what I need to do is convince the wife that we need to drive to the Omni Hut.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation