FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Save Luau Room in Louisville, KY
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Save Luau Room in Louisville, KY
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-07 13:22, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Perhaps what I need to do is convince the wife that we need to drive to the Omni Hut.

Now yer cookin' with gas!

Heyyy... what ver happened to that proposed "Omni-lau" from a year or so ago? We gots to get a posse together and go say Aloha to Polly.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-01 3:54 pm   Permalink

Hello all -

Well, I realize it's been forever, but there hasn't been anything to tell about the old Luau Room in Louisville, KY. It spent about a year as a hip-hop sports bar called B2 Dreams, and then changed hands without a "For Lease" sign going up. It became the Allure Nightclub, with no discernible schedule and I never saw any activity at it, so I don't even know if they truly opened. And now, today, a "For Lease" sign has gone up.

So here we are, again: It's 9,000 square feet of *original*, circa 1960s, back-in-the-day, tiki bar paradise, with all the original decor intact. The owner has never let the decor be touched (God bless him or her), through the Mexican Restaurant, Salvation Army, B2 Dreams and (I imagine) Allure nightclub phases of the last fifteen years.

Anybody want to operate a Tiki bar less than a half mile from all the dorms and frat houses of the University of Louisville? Within a mile of Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (where the Louisville Cardinals play) and Churchill Downs (where they hold the Kentucky Derby)? Across from two brand new industrial complexes and just down the street from five old ones? This should be a slam dunk.

The agent's number is (502)562-9200. I ask that you please post in here if you contact anyone and what you find out, as this has been a personal quest of mine for years. I would do it myself if I had the bucks and even one iota of experience in the bar world. I mean, how great would it be to run your own version of Hala Kahiki? C'mon. It's been standing there, waiting patiently all these years for the return of Tiki and someone who understands the importance of Tiki. Somebody, re-open this bar the RIGHT way.

Nancy Beranek

View Profile of Nineveh Send a personal message to Nineveh  Email Nineveh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-01 6:33 pm   Permalink

Nancy,

Can you email me the pics that you posted, oh, so many years ago? I would love to see this place. I live 2 hours away and my wife and I have been talking about checking out Louisville for some time now.

Thanks,
Joe

[ This Message was edited by: tiki joe 2007-03-22 19:22 ]

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-01 8:36 pm   Permalink

<<Content Mutiny>>

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:01 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 08:24 am   Permalink

Hey, if the Hell's Angels can have bars, why can't we? I'd pay money for a share of the "Tiki Central Luau Room Louisville". Then we'd have a place for conventions... and ....we all get to go Louisville!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-02 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Can you email me the pics that you posted, oh, so many years ago? I would love to see this place. I live 2 hours away and my wife and I have been talking about checking out Louisville for some time now.

Joe,
I can indeed. I would post them here but I'll have to investigate how. Last time Tiki Kiliki put them up after I sent them to her.

Nancy

View Profile of Nineveh Send a personal message to Nineveh  Email Nineveh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-02 8:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-02 08:24, pappythesailor wrote:
Hey, if the Hell's Angels can have bars, why can't we? I'd pay money for a share of the "Tiki Central Luau Room Louisville". Then we'd have a place for conventions... and ....we all get to go Louisville!

That's the best idea I've heard in ages!

Nancy

Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-02 8:44 pm   Permalink

Almost forgot - the leasing agent's name is Jody Zimmerman.

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 10:26 pm   Permalink

I stay in New Albany across the river all the time and have a summer place in Bethlehem, up the river, I would be very interested in seeing a TiKi place in Looval. I am only there part of the year but always have a hankering for a good rum drink. Keep us posted.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 12:59 pm   Permalink

I think it's great that you've been so tenacious with this, Nancy. I've posted about the opportunity on my blog, and I've also added the Luau Room to Critiki.

This site has some of Nancy's pictures, which are missing from this thread now, and are well worth a look:
http://www.recentpast.org/types/tiki/luauky/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 06:00 am   Permalink

Hmmm To bad it aint closer to columbus The FOM could use a swank clubhouse like that! LOL

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nineveh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-11 08:23 am   Permalink

Okay - you're not going to believe this. I found out that the Allure Nightclub did actually get off the ground, sort of.

Apparently it's part of something called First Fridays, a monthly networking event hosted by a national event promotion company. I'm not sure I truly understand, but the *pictures* of an event there in March are posted at
http://www.glamourlife.com/8pg_14_2005.htm There's also a page called "What we do" to explain what it is about.

Anyway, if you want to see the place PACKED with people, and the Tiki Decor seemingly still in place (though never the focus of the shots), check it out.

[ This Message was edited by: Nineveh 2005-09-11 08:35 ]

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 02:23 am   Permalink

I found this great ad for the Luau Room from 1960 when they first opened

There's also a huge opportunity for some oral history. Found a place called John E's on the Spot in Louisville. The owner of this restaurant, John Shanchuk, started working at the Luau Room in 1963 as a dishwasher and worked his way up to manager. He is now only 61, and I bet he's got some good info, if any locals want to look him up.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 5:39 pm   Permalink

Not allot of info out there for the Luau Room and looks like the red X has taken out some good stuff so I'll add some stuff. A great little rocks glass.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 6:34 pm   Permalink

Hey, that graphic was swiped from Dobb's House! Looks like Orchids of Hawaii did it..

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation