FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Bowl ID?
Tiki Bowl ID?
slimman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-30 4:24 pm   Permalink

So I have done a bit of searching and have found a few similar bowls from omc but these appear to be more rounded. They are ceramic though. There are no markings or stickers that I have noticed. Any idea what they are? The gal I picked them up from says they are from the 60's and she got them from an antique shop. Any ideas?

View Profile of slimman Send a personal message to slimman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-30 4:40 pm   Permalink

They look like pieces from Spurlin Cerarmics. Very nice!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-30 4:58 pm   Permalink

That glaze has all the hallmarks of Spurlin Ceramics. The same type of bowls used at the Islander here in Los Angeles.

Here's another thread with some info on Spurlin ceramics, but do a search here on TC with the word "Spurlin" and you should see some more examples with the same glaze.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26304&forum=5

I think the scorpion bowls used at the Islander restaurant would be marked "Islander", but Spurlin also sold unmarked versions to any restaurants that needed them.

Midnight might chime in here with more information, but in any case, those are very nice scorpion bowls.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slimman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-30 7:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone. I am glad to see I scored some cool stuff. I picked both up for pretty cheap so I'm glad I didn't get junk.

View Profile of slimman Send a personal message to slimman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation