FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 12:43 pm   Permalink

the good news:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5 on Saturday, Dec. 11. 2010
------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll be vending inside since we have so little daylight these days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bad news:
Now GROG going to have bust out another Tiki Wonderland flier. Unless.... any artists want to volunteer to make this years Tiki Wonderland flier? GROG get you a list of vendors as soon as GROG get a full list.

The good news:
Hiphipahula has a drink that "tastes like Christmas". GROG has tasted it before, and that's the best way to describe it.

The bad news:
Now GROG really got to bust GROG' ass to get the Tonga Hut Mug ready to debut at the Tiki Wonderland show.

All of Ruzic's artwork will be hanging at his retrospective show, so Ruzic probably won't show up. You can decide for yourself if that's good news or bad news.

The good news:
No charge to vendors, no cover charge to get in. Come get your Tiki Christmas shopping done early.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2010-11-04 13:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2010-11-24 13:48 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-11-03 1:32 pm   Permalink

cover charge for an art show??? now i've heard of(almost) everything.an artist is complaining about having to work for free?? duh... artists generally don't make the big bucks until they're dead.LOL .ok that's one view ..another view is---you have to pay at the swap meet to get in and so do the vendors . so why not charge.. events that offer more than just vending would be easier to charge a cover for..band , dj ,etc.. holloween is a big night to be having any event so maybe that is why people did not show..times are tough..i personally have enjoyed tiki wonderland in the past and would love to go whether it's free or fee....i always buy something and hope others can/will...

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-11-03 1:50 pm   Permalink

gilligans island is not a christmas party.....tiki wonderland is.. let's celebrate christmas and the holiday season together at a holiday party!!! yay!!!and go to gilligans too!!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 1:58 pm   Permalink

May i suggest my "All over the Map" exhibition this Saturday
for all your Christmas and plain ol art needs?
There will be free alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch there
No admission
a lovely Dj spinning lovely tunes
a garden paradise outside the gallery
great food by a renowned Master Chef
and Parking is free!
There will be around 10 Tiki
and another 20-some not-so-tiki pieces there...
Come see the reason I've been a hermit for these past few months!

Plus it's right down the block from the Bowers museum
which has a PNG exhibit!

All signs point to YES!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:10 pm   Permalink

hijacked!!!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:18 pm   Permalink

Guilty as charged!

also,don't miss BigToe's Shimmer and Rot exhibition
at Rothick art haus November 13th 7-11pm
170 S. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA
there should be booze,tunes,and lovely wenches aplenty there!
No cover charge there either!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119390914789422

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:20 pm   Permalink

Kirby frantically call GROG saying we can't cancel the Tiki Wonderland show.

If we get enough people interested in vending at the Tiki Wonderland show, then we'll have it. GROG would like to do it either Saturday, Dec.11, or Sunday , Dec. 12. Lakesurfer will be in town that weekend, so we'll be able to get him to bring stuff. GROG prefer not to charge anything for people to come to the show. Artists/vendors, there is no vendor fee, and even if you don't sell anything you still get to hang out and drink with a great bunch of friendly people. So, let GROG know if you are interested in vending at the Tonga Hut on that weekend, and we'll see if we can get this to work.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2010-11-03 14:21 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:47 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-11-03 13:58, little lost tiki wrote:
May i suggest my "All over the Map" exhibition this Saturday
for all your Christmas and plain ol art needs?
There will be free alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch there
No admission
a lovely Dj spinning lovely tunes
a garden paradise outside the gallery
great food by a renowned Master Chef
and Parking is free!
There will be around 10 Tiki
and another 20-some not-so-tiki pieces there.

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-11-03 14:49 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-03 14:18, little lost tiki wrote:
Guilty as charged!

also,don't miss BigToe's Shimmer and Rot exhibition
at Rothick art haus November 13th 7-11pm

_________

Ken, you can have the change in my pockets.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:56 pm   Permalink

I vote yes Grog we need a little Christmas

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:59 pm   Permalink

P.S. Grog, Hiphip have 2 items on the drink menu 1 at $5 and 1 at $7
I will always offer something for the friends of the art.

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 3:12 pm   Permalink

Speaking of the 3 C's... Christmas, Class, and Carrying yourself in a professional manner, did you see that huge header Hanford had to post on rules & manner? Oh wow! See you at Winter Wonderland !!!

ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-11-03 3:32 pm   Permalink

yay winterwonderland!!!!! i can't wait...saturday night is my vote!!

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 3:44 pm   Permalink

Hi Grog!

Here's my thoughts on this, in no particular order:

- The cover thing won't work - I think it will scare away more people than it would be worth, and I don't think I would deserve anything if I didn't sell anything.

- I've done retail for quite a while, and I'm a strong believer in the fact that if you didn't sell anything at a certain event, then you've got the wrong products, price points, or selling technique for that crowd. I did the Halloween show, which I thought had a pretty low turnout, and I still made a handful of sales. For me, it was worth it to drive up from San Diego, only work for about 3 hours and have some drinks. Almost all art is a hard sell in this market right now, so I think the lower priced parking lot wares may do better.

- The toughest thing about the Winterland show is that it is only 3 weeks away from the Gilligan show, but I say go ahead and do it. Everyone just needs to work a little bit harder to make it happen. I'll gladly help out in promoting or such however I can. I'm coming up for the Gilligan show, and you can count me in for the winter wonderland show if it happens.

- I think the halloween show attendance was crappy for a number of reasons. I think most people who were going out did it up on Saturday night and were too hung over to anything on Sunday. Then, if you have kids, Halloween night is already shot. I think probably not a great holiday to do an event on.

- For your date options on the Winterland show, I would choose Saturday. Drinking event will always do better on Saturday as opposed to Sunday.

Just my 2 cents...

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 3:59 pm   Permalink

OK, here's my two "sense"..for what it's worth. I was one of the artist there at Halloween and also was disappointed in the turn out, and also have mixed feelings about what works when combining "entertainment" with an Art Show where participants intend to profit from their art.

I am sure you were speaking in jest, "Ron-tiki" so I won't take the artists comment you made seriously, being an artist. If anyone truly believed that..you would have no creativity in any aspect of your life to wallow in...films would be a test screen with white spot, buildings would all be colorless cubes and your car would be a four wheeled cart with a stick to lead it in the desired direction...artists and creative minds are what you want to foster unless you can, yourself "color your world" all by your self. You know this..so again, I won't spend time on such a thing.

An art event where any "artist"..be it a musician or carver or painter or mug maker spends their time to bring custom made, one of a kind, original creations to the Tiki Ohana should be generating results for these people. Period! There is a lot of great talent out here...many travel impressive distances and lot's expend heart into these things. When the mix of art and craft selling to idol entertainment get's confusing, something suffers I have noticed. I have observed this in Hawaii with the galleries that show my work over the years.

I have done shows where we have live music and booze and anything to create draw off of Waikiki's main strip...and often this format generated the least sales. People ate our pu pu's, drank our wine and chewed my brain off talking about their lives...and bought little or nothing to support the artists. Other times we did nothing but say.."meet the artist night". Nothing else. It was clear that it was about art and potentially attracting those interested in owning the art and getting to know the artist. We would often make great sales and attract a collector of greatest appreciation for the art and coming back regularly to own a new piece. I dunno... Wondering if there is a parallel here. The mix..? What people are comming for...etc.

I am not sure of the complete answer. I do know that I can also support the notion, as an artist that I enjoy showing art just for the Ohana. However, I also know that it takes a lot of effort to pull together work and get it to an event billed as an "art show" and at any art show, short of open house in High School for your Mom and dad, It's there so artists can generate apreciation in both observatio and selling their work. I heard numerous comments on Halloween as well from the other artist saying things like.." Geesh..Like NO ONE is buying anything!" Most were around the bar..or talking in the middle of the dance floor or breaking a leg to leap in to the free giant pizza. Sure, these were some sales that night..but no proportionate to the title of the event. So, yah have to take the observation to heart as an artist and say...Is this the best place for me to be focusing my efforts to sell and show my work again?

Ernie deserves a huge amount of praise for his passion for art and coordinating many great events at Tonga...and artists. This issue should really be more of a heads up as to seeing what triggers what in regards to expectations when art is showcased. I have a ton of respect for the fellow artists on here and would really like to explore ideas as to how to generate greater results for all. I also think we need to look at how to expose More of the general public to this little world we all create so well too, cus that could bring in more exposure for talent.

Anyway, I threw in my thoughts. I don't want this to turn into fruit fight over who's mint sprig and umbrella has more fruit on it. Observations and good intent are the objective. NO one is wining...these are valid issues and just a matter of looking at cause and affect so, for those thirsty for a heated debate, sit down and count your mugs. Let's work together and keep the magic going and the art flowing~~

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2010-11-03 16:02 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation