FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Judge's Beyond The Reef , Brookfield, WI (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Judge's Beyond The Reef , Brookfield, WI (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 6:09 pm   Permalink

Name:Judge's Beyond The Reef
Type:restaurant
Street:16590 W. North Avenue
City:Brookfield
State:WI
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I first saw the Judge's Beyond the Reef restaurant in the Book of Tiki. I finally got the matchbook in a trade with Bail Tekey. I have not seen much information on this place, nothing even listed in Tiki Road Trip II.

As Sven described it, a Tiki restaurant attached to a log cabin!

The reverse side of the matchbook with some nice tapa.

This crazy looking character was the signature logo.

I have seen a black matchbook.

An Ashtray

And this postcard on Critiki from Tikinaut.

So, Brookfield, Wisconsin had two Tiki joints, Beyond the Reef and the famous Leilani.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2735&forum=1&hilite=leilani

Maybe Lake Surfer can dig up some more info on Beyond the Reef.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 6:31 pm   Permalink

One of the all-time greatest Poly pop matchbooks! I always wondered if those doorway statues were Hawaiian Tikis with tall headdresses, and the artist just did not know how to render them, or they really were those Asian-type natives carved in wood as they are in the renderings.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 6:43 pm   Permalink

The owner of Judge's Beyond the Reef was Robert Judge. It was in operation from at least 1964 until it was sold and turned into El Sombrero Mexican Buffet in 1987.

October 9, 1964 edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel.

June 12, 1987 edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-07 3:01 pm   Permalink

During my research I found Jim and Lisa Dutcher, owners of the "Tip Top Atomic Shop" in Milwaukee, WI. They own a mug from Judge's and were nice enough to send me this picture.

Does anyone recognize the mug makers logo/initials?

Vintage Judge's Beyond the Reef tiki mug.

Mug maker initials.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-07 9:03 pm   Permalink

Wow, cool find! That's a very rare mug. It COULD possibly be a likeness of those entrance statues, making them more likely humanoid, not Ku or Lono-like.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 9:31 pm   Permalink

Abstract,

Great research, that mug is a first for me. It needs to go over on the Crypto Mug page. Thanks for the posts.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 6:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks BigBro,DC.

Here are several newspaper ads I recently found. Notable info is the adds identify three separate areas of the restaurant. The "Banyan Room" for dinning, the Reef Bar and Starlite Lounge for drinks.

The last one also shows us the tropical drinks served. The Chee Chee, Rum Cooler, Sneaky Tiki, Fog cutter, Kalypso, Kona somethin?, Mai Tai, Blue Hawaii, Whaler Grog and Yellow Beard. Some are well known and some are more obscure or maybe original to Judge's.

The Milwaukee Sentinel, Aug. 3rd 1979

The Milwaukee Sentinel, June 13th 1967

The Milwaukee Journal, Feb. 13th 1979

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-03 4:46 pm   Permalink

I saw the mug pictured a few posts back and it reminded me of this old mug I picked up while around Seattle quite a few years ago:

I didn't really think too much of it when I first saw it in the store but it was labeled as "Tiki Mug" so I picked it up. It was only a few dollars so I didn't mind that much.

It's got more of a hobbyist feel to it for sure but it's very close to the one above. It does have some extra line details and the features aren't as crisp. There are no markings on the base and it has a unique almost gold colored metallic glaze to it.

Mahalo,
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-05 9:38 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

You are looking back now and thinking that was a good idea to pick up the strange looking Tiki mug!

I scored one of the large postcards from Judges' Beyond the Reef, so time for some close ups.

The Reef Bar and Lounge bar, with the log cabin beams intact. If you squint your eyes and imagine hard enough they could be giant bamboo poles! The mural scene is from Kihei Beach on Maui (see below).

The Banyan Tree dining room with the Hukilau Sailboat salad bar.

The strange logo tiki figure,

Here is the back of the card with more info on the owner and the various rooms in the restaurant. There was a Wiki-Wiki bar and a Hawaiian dress and gift shop.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-28 07:51 am   Permalink

I picked up this matchbox from Judge's Beyond the Reef that lists a second restaurant location at Kehei Beach on Maui.

The painting on the matchbox is from the mural in the Brookfield restaurant.

Given that the Judge's appeared to have owned a house or property at Kehei Beach, it is likely that the Hawaii listing on the matchbox was pure romance.

Although I did find two business listings in Hawaii for Judge's Beyond the Reef; one for retail sales shop and one for a real estate business, both on Maui.

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/documents/search.html?recordType=ALL&status=ALL&beginsWith=false&query=judge%27s+beyond+the+reef

DC

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-24 06:40 am   Permalink

abstractiki's research previously established that the period of operation for Judge's Beyond the Reef was from at least 1964 to a definite ending by 1987 when the business was sold and converted to a Mexican restaurant.

I found an article that points to a much earlier start in 1958, plus a note on the owners' source of inspiration...

The Milwaukee Sentinel May 19, 1958

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 10:20 pm   Permalink

Nice work TTD.

meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-26 08:38 am   Permalink

I just acquired this statue on ebay. I haven't received it yet, but says it's about 12" tall(I assume with base), and has "arnel's NAH 71" on the bottom of the base.. I don't know if that's the name of a company or the sculptor, or if the 71 is a date. There is definitely some connection to the Judge's mug because the design is so unique.

[ This Message was edited by: meega 2011-07-28 15:33 ]

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-28 3:35 pm   Permalink

As a follow-up to my last posting, I just got my package in the mail today. The statue is only about 10" tall, minus the base, about 8-1/2", and around 3" wide. The glaze is not nearly as blue as the picture shows....more grayish- blue & mottled and has a somewhat satiny finish. Also the bottom looks like it says "NAH 61", and not 71. It is a lot more like the Judge's mug, in that it lacks the added facial definition & cheek scars that the second mug exhibits. If you lopped off the top you'd have a mug, not a real big one, but it looks like someone copied somebody between the three, unless all three were the same designer.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 4:47 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2011-08-01 22:00 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation