FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Castaway Cove Season Opener 3!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Castaway Cove Season Opener 3!
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-09 7:48 pm   Permalink

WOW!! What a great evening. Thanks so much to Mark and Maggie for their hospitality and for creating and sharing such a magical place. It was fun for the whole family! The TikiBar is fantastic, and the garden setting is otherworldly. I kept forgetting I was actually in Portland. Though that could've been from the drinks! It's so great to be able to go to a party where kids are welcome. My daughter had a blast- as well as my mother in-law. They really liked the dancers. It was really great getting to know the NW crowd a little better. We've really got a great bunch of people up here! I look forward to seeing some pictures posted soon.

On a side note, the Summer Lake Hot Springs where my in-laws live and manage really is something to behold as well.There are some bizarre totem carvings around the premises that aren't Tiki, but pretty darn close at times. My in-laws , Rick and Diana, are some of the best hosts you will ever find, and if you happen to show up during one of the many parties/events thrown out there on a regular basis, ,,, well,, you won't believe it - in the middle of nowhere. There is a website last I checked. Hwy 31 - southern Oregon desert. It's the backroad to Reno, as well as Burning Man, so they get all kinds out there. Check it out!!

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-09 10:00 pm   Permalink

Here is a link to some party photos from Maxton's Home Opener.
http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b36a133725c6
Well, they are on shutterfly. I seem to have forgotten how to link them to here.
[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-06-09 22:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-06-09 22:43 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-10 06:25 am   Permalink

I'll do it this way.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitronic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-12 12:06 pm   Permalink

It was too short (our fault since we got a late start and then got lost on the way) but my lord - what a beautiful oasis you have Tiki Maxton. It was like stumbling into a place halfway between the normal world and disneyland.

Granted - it also totally brought out my competitive side and made me want a house that we can mutate into a rival secret paradise. But who'd argue with that:)

View Profile of Tikitronic Send a personal message to Tikitronic  Goto the website of Tikitronic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-12 2:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks everybody for the kind words and the excellent company! I look forward to seeing more of your pics, as i was too busy to take any myself...

I know that from now on, if I'm hosting more than about 20 people, I'm going to hire a bartender. I like pouring drinks for awhile, but I got kinda stuck behind the bar and missed a lot of the fun. And turning the bar over to some of my, let's just say, less-than-particular friends led to some pretty undrinkable concoctions. I'll find a pro bartender, give him the Grog Log a week in advance and then just relieve him when I feel like pouring a few.

Thanks again to Mr. & Mrs. Tikibar for the wonderful drink garnishes, to Seamus who displayed some fantastic tikis and to Tikitronic, Kim and Humuhumu just for being there and adding some class to the party! Is it Happy Hour yet?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-12 14:17, TikiMaxton wrote:
I know that from now on, if I'm hosting more than about 20 people, I'm going to hire a bartender. I like pouring drinks for awhile, but I got kinda stuck behind the bar and missed a lot of the fun. And turning the bar over to some of my, let's just say, less-than-particular friends led to some pretty undrinkable concoctions. I'll find a pro bartender, give him the Grog Log a week in advance and then just relieve him when I feel like pouring a few."

This is probably a common problem for more than a few of us. Your friends know you can make these weird-ass tropical drinks. They want to come over to your place for happy hour. Next thing you know there are eight people hanging out waiting for their fruity whatever, and you get stuck making drinks for everyone all night because you don't trust anyone else behind the bar with your stock of exotic rums and mixers...
(Uummm, if you don't mind please don't make your rum and coke with my 8 star Bharbancourt. Thank you.)
I think wise old Vic covered this subject in one of his books, but I'm interested to know what others think the best way is to handle this.
-serve rum punch?
-Everyone drinks what I drink, damn it.
-Gald you liked it, now have a beer.
-I'll just lay out the cheap booze, they'll never know the difference.
-Serve em strong and knock em out.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 2:39 pm   Permalink

Well, I don't really have a problem making drinks for 8 or so, that much is fun for me and I don't mind being behind the bar for happy hour, but during a 7 hour party with 60+ guests I just HAD to have a break, and that's when all manner of unspeakable acts happened behind my bar. Some people have the same attitude as that bartender at oasis - "Just put a bunch of stuff in a blender". Ack!

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 2:49 pm   Permalink

Well, lets say eight or eighty.

Also, if I didn't enjoy smoking cigars with my Mai-Tai's so much, it wouldn't be such a big problem... but, as we all now know, smoking in tiki bars is TABOO (diddle-iddle-oo)!
Also, is there really such a thing as happy "hour"? I've never been to "one".

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-06-13 14:49 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

You're so right about "Happy Hour"! The way it was explained to me, "Happy Hour" is actually the window of opportunity in which to begin enjoying "Happy Time", or something like that. Or maybe time just slows down when you're in a bar, so that 4-5 hour after work drinking time has a subjective value of only 1 hour. Or maybe you can only be happy for 1 hour and then you have to be grumpy like Bong...

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-13 3:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-13 14:31, Kailuageoff wrote:
-serve rum punch?

In the past I've made the Trder Vic's punch in the Grog Log in a big punch bowl when expecting more than a few guests. It helps to have a big juice squeezer. I'll make special drinks at the start if people don't want the punch. After a while I get drunk myself and it becomes a free for all. What the hell.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 11:55 pm   Permalink

I avoid the mixing for a crowd problem by not having enough friends to make a crowd. Problem solved.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation