FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Lava Lounge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Lava Lounge
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-09 12:07 am   Permalink

Greetings Everyone!

I recently moved into a new house in Chino, CA. The former owner had a bar and mirrored the wall in one of the rooms. I had no idea what I was going to use it for until I broke out the tiki stuff from storage. Its coming together but I think it has a long way to go. I have been checking out what others have done on the site and have never really tried to do anything with wood. But I am ready to give it a go. Here is the start of my Tiki Room I have loosely named The Lava Lounge until I figure out the right name for her. I want to try to line the doorway and panel the ceiling with some wire brushed wood. I have no idea how to do this so any pointers from you guys with the experience would be greatly appreciated. Or even just which post to read... its crazy how many tiki-philes are out there and all the things you can do to a room. Anyway here is my start... and Im open to any suggestions comments or whatever.

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mekalekahaimekahainiho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-09 08:28 am   Permalink

Wow! Pretty impressive collection for someone who only just joined TC!
The Enchanted Tiki Room drummer dudes are cool!

View Profile of Mekalekahaimekahainiho Send a personal message to Mekalekahaimekahainiho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 08:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-09 00:07, Suicide Tiki wrote:
Greetings Everyone!

I recently moved into a new house in Chino, CA. The former owner had a bar and mirrored the wall in one of the rooms. Anyway here is my start... and Im open to any suggestions comments or whatever.

Hello and welcome, First recommendation is color or cover the walls. Polished reed fencing, lauhala matting, tapa cloth etc are some of the good choices. Some people paint the walls a darker color. Whites walls SUCK in a tiki room. If you decide to put in a bar, I think it might look good in front of the bar, but I would try to make a bamboo (or wood) framed false Pony Wall in front of the mirror so people don;t see the back of the bar. Assuming the mirror is large pieces (and not 12 inch stick on squares), you could probably use silicone sealant to glue the false wall to the fron of the mirror.
Another suggestion would be to FEED YOUR CAT! Poor little kitty is so hungry it has resorted to eating its paw!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:50 am   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been collecting tiki stuff since the mid 90s. It was scattered all around the last house and the wifey was none to happy about that. So when we moved she made me promise to try and keep it to one room. As for the collection, those Tiki Room drummers were probably my most expensive pieces. I am always on the hunt for a good tiki bargain but sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and pay what the seller is asking. In that case it was from Disney. There were only 500 of those made and the drums light up. I have to re-wire a switch on one of them and will post pix soon. I have a small fortune tied up in colored bulbs from Home Depot! I really appreciate the suggestions. Now to the drawing board. I spent several hours into the morning reading what others have done to their bars. I am planning to start to practice with a router soon so I can start some trim in the archway. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, I rewired an old lamp I picked up from a swap meet over the weekend. I think it adds to the feel of the room. Not being able to find parts for these old lamps I had to do some surgery with a hanging light fixture and mate the two together. Its not all that pretty on the inside but unless you are right up under it you would never know. I just pray it does not burn the Lounge down!

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 6:46 pm   Permalink

Ha! I wish my wife would give me a room to tikify. On rainy evenings, I got nowhere to spin my Martin Denny vinyl!

Love the drummers, I could see how you could justify dropping a few bills on those.

But, first things first!! Get busy with a paint can, man!

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-09 7:46 pm   Permalink

Well, let me tell you... getting my "own" room was a bit of a chore. But tonight I took the little lady out to dinner and told her all about this site and how everyone was telling me to paint. She decided it was okay to do the room in a burnt orange or red since I am leaning towards calling it The Lava Lounge. Im a photo whore so I am sure I will get a few pics of the room in process. Anyone know where to get some bamboo cheep in So Cal?

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 7:50 pm   Permalink

Can't you just get bamboo at the corner store in So Cal?

Try this one:

http://www.oceanicarts.net/

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:21 pm   Permalink

You would think so wouldn't ya Slacks? But since I have spent most of my time scouring over swap meets and what not for tiki trinkets I really had no idea where everyone was getting their bamboo from. Some of the posters here make it seem like they ran to Home Depot... where I actually have seen some garden border style stuff, but I have seen pix of trucks full of bamboo. Anyway thanks for the heads up on Oceanic Arts. Looks like a little road trip to Whittier is in my future.

I'm also planning on working on the archway. I like the look of Hula Sue's entry and want to do some kind of treatment on the bull-nose walls at my place. I have seen people mention wire brushing their wood to raise the grain... but have no idea how to do that. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Is it as simple as taking a wire brush and brushing the bejesus out of the wood? Gonna have to search some more on this site and perhaps google that method.

Aloha!

[ This Message was edited by: Suicide Tiki 2010-11-09 22:22 ]

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-10 03:01 am   Permalink

What a terrific project! So creating a place to display your cool collection is great, but how do you want to use this room? What will be its function? I guess we all just assume you are creating a room to party with 20 friends? The layout of the room, how much seating, the size and location of the bar, the lighting, the equipment you add are all dependent on how you will actually use the room. I'd give it some thought.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-10 3:06 pm   Permalink

Hey Bongo,

Thanks for the input. The room itself is weird and was a set up as a bar by the former owner. Meaning they basically bought a bar and set it in there. It was a former bedroom but they sealed the door up and cut out a wall. There is not a ton of seating so perhaps I will build a bar. You are right though as it stands it basically a room where I can put all my tiki stuff and not have my lady yelling that I have it scattered all over the house like a kid with a million legos! I am going paint it and add some matting on the walls and/or ceiling. But I am no where as experienced as some of these guys on here and I don't want it to end up looking like it was a do-it yourself job. But I guess part of it is to make it look that way to an extent. Anyway I appreciate the comments and the suggestions. For two nights now I have been dreaming about building this stuff. I think its a sign from the Gods!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Suicide Tiki 2010-11-10 15:06 ]

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-10 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-09 22:21, Suicide Tiki wrote:
I have seen people mention wire brushing their wood to raise the grain... but have no idea how to do that. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Is it as simple as taking a wire brush and brushing the bejesus out of the wood?
[ This Message was edited by: Suicide Tiki 2010-11-09 22:22 ]

Welcome to the home bars section Suicide. As you've probably seen, there are tons of people here with millions of great ideas to "borrow". As for the wire brushing... What you need to do is get a small propane torch from Lowes/Home Depot (they're $10-15) and torch the hell out of the wood. Once the outer layer starts looking like charcoal (a few seconds honestly), take a wire brush (I use the barbecue grill cleaning brushes because of how wide they are) and brush it off. It's really as simple as that. The ash from the wood gives it a nice rich brown color, and the winter grains will rise up pretty dramatically. Just start with a small section at a time to gauge what you're going to be working with. Standard pine lumber works amazingly well for the effect. You can put a wax/stain/varnish over the wood, but it really isn't imperative. Probably the cheapest, easiest effect you can do in a home bar. Hope that helped.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-10 9:42 pm   Permalink

Do it outside! makes a hell of a mess, I like to add a lite stain then seal it after the burn & brush
you will need to repeat the procedure a few times to get the grain to really show, BTW.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 02:26 am   Permalink

If you're calling it the Lava Lounge, then you want a deep, lava red colour on the walls, possibly even stained with magma yellow.

You've already got a post-mid-century modern feel going there. Forget about the faux Polynesian restaurant bamboo trim - it's all been done before. Think "lava" + "lounge" instead. And you've already got that fantastic red lamp - now you need a room coloured to match it.

My 10 cents' worth (the smallest coin in NZ).

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 02:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-11 02:26, Club Nouméa wrote:
If you're calling it the Lava Lounge, then you want a deep, lava red colour on the walls, possibly even stained with magma yellow.

You've already got a post-mid-century modern feel going there. Forget about the faux Polynesian restaurant bamboo trim - it's all been done before. Think "lava" + "lounge" instead. And you've already got that fantastic red lamp - now you need a room coloured to match it.

My 10 cents' worth (the smallest coin in NZ).

CN

The lounge look can be a completely different way to go than the little grass shack look. And it can be way hip, sorta Shag, sorta mid-century swank. Kinda hard to give up the idea of creating your own tropical island though.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-11 05:24 am   Permalink

Wow..that is an impressive space...love the leopard, the shelves and the big Ku....FUN!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation