FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Lava Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Lava Lounge
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-09 12:47 am   Permalink

Thanks Tikituba! I will check that out. I am thinking of toning down the original plan of doing a chair rail all the way around the room and just doing one wall. But like the others have said... I really need to paint this room before I get on to other stuff. All in due time though right?

Mahalo!

Suicide Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Suicide Tiki 2010-12-09 00:47 ]

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-10 11:11 pm   Permalink

I'm not 100% sure but I think I acquired a Witco over the weekend for next to nothing. It looks alot like the one on page 215 of Tiki Modern. Can anyone confirm it is indeed a witco?

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-10 11:26 pm   Permalink

Cool bar with unique style!
Is that a white carpet?
Cool!
I would name your bar... "The Luna Lava Lounge"

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-10 11:30 pm   Permalink

Hey Zeta,

Thanks for the comments... Yeah the LAVA LOUNGE is just the working title til I find something that really fits. I like your suggestion though. I wanted to call it THE SEA HAG but I'm not up for going in the nautical direction. Anyway for now its the Lave Lounge. Now that the holidays are over I'm hoping to find some more time to work on her. I'll keep the pix coming as I make progress.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Trader Mitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-16 12:41 pm   Permalink

I like the name! Just needs more "lava"

View Profile of Trader Mitch Send a personal message to Trader Mitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-03 6:26 pm   Permalink

I decided to take the advice of everyone and throw up some new paint on the walls. I hate painting but decided to paint the room red with a black glaze. Here are the pix I have thus far.... let me know what you think.

First I had to take out all the tiki stuff... that was a bitch but gives me a reason to dust it when I put it back...

Here is the room emputy and taped off...

Then 2 coats of red paint were put up....

Then went on the glaze. I had never done this before but the end result looks pretty cool I think. I had to put 2 coats on of the glaze to get the effect I wanted.

The photos do not do the paint job justice but you get the idea of what I am doing here. It looks like flames in some spots but it does not read that well with my camera. Next up is to tackle some kind of entry treatment and to something on the cieling. I also plan to build a chair rain across the mirror with a shelf for added display space. All in due time but I will put up pix as I get these jobs done. Chime in with any ideas cause I am always up for suggestions and now is the time to try em out!

Regards,

Suicide Tiki

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 04:25 am   Permalink

Great walls!

CN

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-04 9:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks my friend. Anyone have any suggestions on how to router the trim? I have never worked with a router before and am worried its going to end up looking like a do-it-ypurself job.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-07 7:41 pm   Permalink

Made a run down to Oceanic Arts today and picked up some bamboo... started to burn it but the wind kicked up and I decided I had better wait for a calm day. I can't wait though and part of me wants to pull it inside the house and burn it! Hope to get it up this weekend on the ceiling. I'll post pix when I get em. Thanks for looking and as always let me know your thoughts, feelings and suggestions.

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 9:50 pm   Permalink

Hey! Let's see that Ford in the garage!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 10:54 pm   Permalink

Wow that looks cool! What type of glaze did you use?

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-09 10:23 am   Permalink

I used Valspar paint and glaze from Lowes. The reason I am telling you the exact name is that the Valspar glaze is tint-able and they can mix it right there for you. Other wise you will have to mix your own glaze in a 3 paint to 2 glaze ratio. The tint isn't cheep either. Its like 40 bucks a pint! But you can easily do a room with it. Thanks for checking out my pix.

Mahalo,
Suicide Tiki

Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-09 10:42 am   Permalink

Made another trip down to Oceanic Arts and picked up some grass matting. I know there is a name for this stuff but I don't know what to call it.

There was some slight damage to the smaller roll and I talked with the manager about a better price. We got to chatting and he pulled out some giant photos printed on cardboard, of various restaurants he had worked on in the 50, 60, 70s. That's when we were trading ideas on how to put the grass matting on the ceiling. Apparently there are various techniques and each one poses its own challenge. Excited to get started I came home and finished burning the rest of the bamboo I picked up earlier this week.

After that little task was completed I got started with the grass matting. With just the few pieces up I can already feel the change the in the room. I am going to try and finish the rest of the ceiling this weekend.

Stay tuned... more pix to come.

Suicide Tiki

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-09 6:49 pm   Permalink

Nice job, keep us posted as you progress.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-09 11:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hiltiki!

Made some more progress today on the ceiling... here are some pix of the end result. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to hid the cord from the hang lamp that will hang over my bar. I stoked with the end result. After lurking on this site for years I am finally having a dream come true of having something like this room. I have zero skills with power tools but I'm happy with how it all came out. Its not perfect but it what I could do! As always comments, suggestions and any advice is always appreciated!

Finally got all the matting up...

Then came the task of figuring out how to get the mask up and then how to hide the cord. In the end I decided to run it down the bamboo.

Then I spent the day sizing & cutting bamboo... here are a few pix of the end result. I am going to put some silk vines around the lights. and glue some rope to some of the joints to hide the joints and a few screws that are visible. But after spending over 8 hours on a ladder I think I need to take a break as my nubs are killing me!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation