Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Paul Marshall doppelganger
Paul Marshall doppelganger
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-19 8:00 pm   Permalink

Can anyone clear this up for me? I've got a few of the "real PMP Monkey mugs. I also have a few of the ones that look VERY similar, but with different hand placement, etc. Are they PMP or an amazing simulation?

Thanks

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ahilava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-20 9:19 pm   Permalink

Got pictures that show the difference?

View Profile of ahilava Send a personal message to ahilava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 10:20 pm   Permalink

Here are two different Paul Marshal Mugs.

Knees and Elbows

Hands on Belly

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

Them's the ones.

Thanks!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-06 6:07 pm   Permalink

Saw this recently close on Ebay. Did anyone else know this scorpion bowl existed? Is it really Paul Marshall?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2636858724&category=86

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-06 7:05 pm   Permalink

Wow! Like I've said before, everytime you think you've seen everything that's out there, something comes up that reminds you there's a lot more out there than you thought!

That said, I'm not surprised this bowl sold for $300.00. I'm also not surprised that a deep pocket bidder won it! Just wish it was me instead.

Speaking of rare bowls, there was a pic of a
Luau 400 Scorpion bowl in one of their old menus. Rumored to have never been actually made (just illustrated for the menu), I now wonder if there's one floating around out there somewhere...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-07 02:23 am   Permalink

I was watching that bowl too. I'm not a big mug collector but I loved this. I especially like how they are sticking their tongues out!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suffering bastard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-07 05:46 am   Permalink

Sabu, I'm no expert by any stretch, but I think it really is PMP. I've seen Paul Marshall S&P shakers and a serving tray in this style, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that there might be a bowl as well. I saw this early when it first listed but decided to just watch it because of the broken hand. WOW----$305.00!!! I had no idea it would go so high!

View Profile of suffering bastard Send a personal message to suffering bastard  Email suffering bastard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-07 12:08 pm   Permalink

Yowza...I'll take two, Sabu. It does look like the right rim...I have a set of four of the second style that Alnshely pictured. I'd love to have a single of the first, if anyone has an extra for sale or trade.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-08 09:47 am   Permalink

These seem to be on ebay every week in sets or singles. 8 - 12 dollars is about the range and they're often sold in sets. I use them for my guests that I trust not to drop them. The others get a cheap plastic Moai!

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-09 7:44 pm   Permalink

Yep, that bowl is PMP- I bid $300 on it but Dan's got a lot more money than I do- so that's as high as I could go....I tried...

I'm gonna put a pic of it in the gallery though...

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-10 01:12 am   Permalink

I always assumed that the "knees and elbows" version was just a PMP ripoff (or PMP inspired). I've seen countless auctions for this mug but have never seen any markings indicating that it is Paul Marshall. Even though many of those auction descriptions say that it is PMP, I still haven't seen visual proof.

That PMP bowl is awesome! It must be one of the rarest vessels out there. Good score Dan! Oh, and Dan, if ya ever decide to liquidate your collection...I'm here for you.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-11 1:48 pm   Permalink

Don't bet on it....this is a guy who's collecting at least TWO of everything out there so that he can display the front and back of each mug, side by side!! This guy is hard core!

Quote:

On 2003-06-10 01:12, ModMana wrote:
Oh, and Dan, if ya ever decide to liquidate your collection...I'm here for you.

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

TikiHula wrote:
this is a guy who's collecting at least TWO of everything out there so that he can display the front and back of each mug, side by side!! This guy is hard core!

I'd be amazed if he finds a second one. It's not impossible, but if this is his first of these bowls, he may be even more determined to pay more for the second, better grade, bowl. I wonder what ever happened to all the other bowls like this?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation