FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
Miehana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-02 3:21 pm   Permalink

Former Disney creative guru, and awesome good guy, Mike Cozart has unveiled the first prototype in
his tremendous series of classic space-age miniature kits for model train enthusiasts.
His fictitious "Aloha Lanes" bowling alley includes an A-framed coffee shop and cocktail lounge called the "Pele Room".

The series will include several modern department stores, shopping centers, car washes, theaters and more.
Seriously, this is one of the spiffiest new "gotta-have-its" that I've encountered in a long time.
The authentic detail is astounding, and Mike, ever the historian, truly knows his stuff. And obviously,
you don't have to have to be a Model Railroader to appreciate these objets d'architectural art.

No release date announced yet, but you can enjoy more lip-smacking images on Mike's blog:
http://mikecozartdesignandmodel.blogspot.com/2010/11/aloha-lanes-c-1960-southern-california.html

[ This Message was edited by: Miehana 2010-12-02 15:27 ]

View Profile of Miehana Send a personal message to Miehana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-12-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-02 15:21, Miehana wrote:
... this is one of the spiffiest new "gotta-have -its" that I've encountered in a long time...

WOW!!!! Absolutely !!!!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 3:38 pm   Permalink

What scale are these built to?

My dad used to be a Model Railroader of epic proportions and I am sure he would appreciate these.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 3:50 pm   Permalink

I think I may need to take up model railroading - f'ing cool!

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 4:08 pm   Permalink

Very very cool. Wish I had thought of that...

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 4:37 pm   Permalink

I WANT these very extremely much!

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 5:59 pm   Permalink

holy crap these are awesome!

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-12-02 7:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-02 15:38, Cool Manchu wrote:
What scale are these built to?

My dad used to be a Model Railroader of epic proportions and I am sure he would appreciate these.

1/8Th (HO Scale). A very good choice!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-12-02 8:10 pm   Permalink

"The marquees will include several laser cut letters to create different names"

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 8:46 pm   Permalink

I use to be an avid model railroader (HO scale). This is great stuff that Mike is creating! It will be fun to construct these few offerings he is introducing, and create a mid-century city-scape diorama.

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 07:21 am   Permalink

As a model railroader, I am VERY excited to see these. Though I don't have a current layout (one is planned), I am eager to snatch up what ever kits he puts out. It has been hard to find mid-century modern homes and buildings. Sure, there are a few kits from the German company Faller, or a few from the Bachmann Plasticville series but they are not enough to have a whole town or a section of a town in the time period to make it stand apart from other layouts. The only other option we've had is to scratch-build or kit-bash buildings. I have been looking for a building to use for a Polynesian establishment, and narrowed it down to the candidate below, but it would need some refining. I would like to thank Mike Cozart for putting the wheels in motion. I look forward to future projects he has in the works for HO Scale modelers.

Potential tiki bar kit-bash front:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2854

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 2:01 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! If they tear them down, we rebuild them!

In case you didn't know, Germans are train model fanatics, and since A-Frames are my favorite thing next to Tikis themselves, I collect them too. I was inspired to take count of my A-Frame collection, here it is:

Wooden South Seas meeting house:

Resin Disney Tiki Room:

Wooden Maori meeting house:

Metal modernist nativity hut (my fave!)

Plastic DisneyWorld Hotel model:

Ceramic M&M collectable:

Resin Disney Tiki Room entrance hut:

I must note that many of the seven A-frames I own I have thanks to Miehena!

Will the Aloha Lanes have mini Witco furniture inside?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 2:36 pm   Permalink

Is the nude girl getting spanked by the alien original to the Enchanted Tiki Room resin?

(Somehow I doubt Disney would do such a thing - I'm rather pleased with the addition)

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 3:04 pm   Permalink

Those are awesome BigBro!!!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 3:51 pm   Permalink

Oh my gosh, how wonderful!! I have been fascinated with scale models since I was a child and built an HO model railroad town in our basement. And I built quite a few models after that. My model building skills are a bit rusty, but I would love to build and display this model. And the department store!!! Can't wait til they're available... Please let us know when and where!

Sven - One of the trains I used to run regularly on my basement railroad was a German model my father bought for my older brother while stationed on a U.S. military base in Germany in the early 60s. Here's my brother with the train (no town built yet - that would come much later!) in Germany in 1963.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation