FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 5:56 pm   Permalink

This is pretty amazing. Why do I all of a sudden have images of Wendy and Dan having a train going through their Jungle Room??

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-03 14:36, dcman wrote:

Is the nude girl getting spanked by the alien original to the Enchanted Tiki Room resin?

(Somehow I doubt Disney would do such a thing - I'm rather pleased with the addition)

dcman

I like it! I'm thinking that the puffer fish hanging from the A-frame is an optional item as well. Nice collection Sven. Is that a Covarrubias dwelling map behind the Tiki Room?

The images of the models on Mike Cozart's website are amazing.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-04 11:05 pm   Permalink

Wow, a great idea and a beautiful realization! I'm sure there are many influences, but right off the bat this immediately reminds me of two examples.

First the Java Lanes...

And then the restaurant next to Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island in Sandy Eggo. What was it originally? The Tahiti? Port Royale? And now I guess it's L'Escale, with the blandified interior but the great exterior still standing guard (I hope)...

BTW, I love the depth effect in the second picture. Dunno if that's an in-camera effect coming from the aperture, or a little post-processing trickery, but it comes off great! Thanks for posting, you-hana!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 07:45 am   Permalink

glad you posted this link... a friend sent it to me a few days back and i was gonna post it myself.....guess we will all have to have model railroads going through our tiki rooms now !

and don't forget this !!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-12-05 07:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-12-05 07:48 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 7:28 pm   Permalink

amazing! I love this stuff, and there is a company that builds realistic miniature neon signs that actually light up. What a combo if this guy could get that company on board!
http://www.microstru.com/Billboards.html
Needless to say, the Pabst micro sign has me won over!
The build also slightly reminds me of the Tiki Kai in Lawndale, and I'm sure the model could be modified for an almost exact match!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 8:52 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's insane! Wonder if the Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg knows about this company...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_oDdGmKyA

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-09 11:38 am   Permalink

Holy crap, that is cool! Vegas quick glimpse was crazy looking! And was that a dead body 2:47 in???? What a miniature buzz kill! hahaha
On another note, a company you maybe familiar with, Faller(German, of course!) makes realistic working amusement attractions that are powered by tiny motors, which also light up. I came real close to fabricating a carny/themepark diorama a while back, but realised how much the hobby costs, and decidedly stepped back. haha, cool stuff, none the less!
http://www.rocousa.com/faller.asp

***I FORGOT TO ADD!!!
All of the Faller Amusement rides could be customizable with water slide decals! This guy I found on the internet will take images your provide and turn them into little art/advertising decals that can be applied to any model. I was going to make a Tiki Park similar to Dannys dreamchild, except with rides!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2010-12-09 11:48 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 1:15 pm   Permalink

That decal guy sound perfect for this. Just use Tiki matchbook graphics...and maybe get some Tapa sheets made for the walls.

Now if you say FALLER you gotta say PREISER:
http://www.rocousa.com/preiser.asp

THE company for making the inhabitants for all the Faller buildings!

Now these ain't cheap in Germany, so they are prohibitively expensive in the U.S. But they cover every aspect of daily life, not only just travellers and conductors. For example: Germans being the original nudists, they have a set of those, too. Here's their "creative suggestion" for the group:

These are avaialble in their most popular 1:87 scale. But some sets in Preiser's product line shrink down to 1:220, that's when it gets really insane:

How do they paint these? An what is this little running boy holding in his hand?:

Yes you guessed right!:

So some Germans actually do seem to have a sense of humor

Many moons ago, before I occupied all my time with such frivolous things as Tiki culture, I was prone to OTHER frivolous activities (no, not nude beaches), and I was so enamored by Preiser's "The Artist in his Studio" set (1:87) that I painted and assembled it. It is meant to be in a loft space, but I combined it with a bathroom set. I still have it. It's very dusty, a little yellowed, one figure is missing, but it has survived well for its 20 years of age:

The missing nude's pose matched the lil' nude paintings that are in the set. I really always wanted to be an artist.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 09:28 am   Permalink

While at the Tonga Hut for Tiki Wonderland, I took the opportunity to visit the Roundhouse Train store http://www.roundhouseonline.com/index.htm , which is two shops next to the Hut (and, by the way, owned by the father of my friend Brooke, creator of Boobie Girl: http://boobiegirl.com/ ) Lo and behold, among dozens of others, they had TWO different sets of Preiser nudists in their rotating (!) Preiser display case!

WHY am I carrying on about these little people, and am I not veering off too much from Tiki, you say? Yes and no, actually they are part and parcel of one of my favorite, under-appreciated concepts of Polynesian pop: The miniature island diorama. Not as common as the painted island back-bar mural, it was employed by various Tiki temples, like the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach (I only ever got to see its remnants), and the Bora Bora Room in Encino:

This tradition was perpetuated in the Tiki Revival by the Dreamworks designers who built the wonderful (but sadly ill maintained) banana train island at Fry's electronics in Manhattan Beach:

...and brought back with perfection by Germany's HaiKai:

Tikiphiles like Wendy and Dan use mini natives in their home displays, and here is my Capiz shell hut light setting that I forgot cuz its in my bedroom (which brings my A-Frame hut collection up to 8 ) :

The source of the miniature native village concept does not hail from model train sets, but, like other Tiki temple decor concepts, was first employed in ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUMS. Here are examples from the Kunstkamera Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia:

..and the Natural History Museum in New York:

As we can see above, miniature huts and palm trees are wonderful by itself, but it is always the PEOPLE (ideally in scale) that enliven the scene. Luckily, Wacko in Hollywood has been carrying these handy cake figurines for years now:

I will utilize this group in the Lebkuchenhaus set I am planning to build for Christmas :

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 09:59 am   Permalink

The best and cheapest place I have found FELLER & PREISER kits is: http://www.walthers.com/

I get their catalogs about once every other month and are usually full of great pieces that can be used for just about anything under the sun. I'm not sure if this link has been posted, but to let you guys see how extensive HO scale modeling has gotten, feast your eyes on the Miniatue Wunderland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_oDdGmKyA

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 10:25 am   Permalink

Yup, posted above just 6 days ago. I have BEEN to Miniature Wonderland, since it is in my hometown of Hamburg, in the beautiful old storehouse section of the port. It's overwhelming, almost too much to take in. Hamburg has some great museums with great miniatures, too.

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 10:07 am   Permalink

Awesome! What a coincidence, huh?
Well, I know where I'm going to stop off when I get to go to Germany!
I could spend days in that place.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-15 7:45 pm   Permalink

I got these tiki miniatures on ebay. The cobra chairs and plants are from Tomy 1970's and the table Tiki and doll house are Irwin 1963 "Interior design house".

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-15 8:30 pm   Permalink

Great contributions by everyone!!! I am not a train enthusiast...but would love to have a bowling alley in my lounge...can't wait.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 8:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, a Tiki as part of 60s mod doll house decor ? What a splendid example of how deep Tiki Modern went..
Those chairs are called peacock chairs I think. Is the hut awning part of the '63 set too? Are there any illustrations from the box or the instructions brochure?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation