FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mid-Century Tiki Architecture Kits for Model Train Sets!
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-12-15 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-15 20:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
... Are there any illustrations from the box or the instructions brochure?

Maybe Tikidon can provide better ones but in the meantime I found this:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/164576907iHALxj

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-12-15 9:07 pm   Permalink

More here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49333775@N00/2895693981/

From The Shopping Sherpa blog:

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2010-12-15 21:17 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 11:59 pm   Permalink

My goodness, will it ever end, the discovery of previously unknown objects of desire!

Thank you. I found the Tiki on this page:

On top of the shelf on the right:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-16 3:34 pm   Permalink

Great pictures! The hut roof was from a 1950's Marx jungle set. I received the Irwin set for Christmas in 1963( my parents were very progressive). I was five years old and remember the Tiki piece was my favorite in the set. I've been following the call of the Tiki ever since.

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

Here is one more shot from the Sears catalog, and it was 1964 not 1963.

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-16 15:34, tikidon wrote:
I received the Irwin set for Christmas in 1963( my parents were very progressive). I was five years old and remember the Tiki piece was my favorite in the set. I've been following the call of the Tiki ever since.

AND you have been a good keeper of your toys, I say!

- What better proof of how ubiquitous Tiki was in 1964 than having one included in a modernist doll house set!

Digging up my Preiser figures gave me an idea how to improve my favorite mini-miniature display
Voila! :

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-12-16 19:03 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 08:29 am   Permalink

The Disneyland Polynesian Hotel model included a monorail boarding platform that went with a full scale monorail kit.

(As seen on ebay)

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 08:55 am   Permalink

Ooh, nice, never saw the whole set, just got the building. It's a very simplistic snap-together kit. For the modelist's standard, not very detailed, there are not cut-out windows or doors, it's just a big block of plastic. So I embellished it a little...

...and put a light bulb in it, now it's a nice orange table light.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 09:11 am   Permalink

Here by the way is my gingerbread A-frame, on a shark-surrounded island, done with Naomi's help:

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 4:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 08:29, Dustycajun wrote:
The Disneyland Polynesian Hotel model included a monorail boarding platform that went with a full scale monorail kit.

Sorry to nitpick, but that's actually the Disney World Polynesian Hotel. We've had a couple of the monorails for years now, from the first year they came out, and have had them circling our Christmas tree along with a train each year ever since. Sadly, not this year though. My kids are getting older and they didn't request it so we didn't do it. I'll do it next year though. If they won't be kids, I will.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-19 09:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
Here by the way is my gingerbread A-frame, on a shark-surrounded island, done with Naomi's help:

Sven, that is mahvelous!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-21 8:24 pm   Permalink

So cool and delicious!

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 8:31 pm   Permalink

I've been scratch building tiki architecture for a couple years now... just did some holiday theme ones.

Just pulling ideas from my head, though a couple were from actual buildings.

Mostly hand carved from wood, but I've used some other materials for details.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 10:04 pm   Permalink

Ooooh, dat's nice: Dig the Polynesia! In fact, I dig the whole "Tiki Temple Collection" concept.

Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 20:31, Lake Surfer wrote:

And it looks awesome on top of our Rum cabinet!

May your first child be a Moai child..

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation