FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Highlights from our Maui and Kaua'i trip (lots 'o pics)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Highlights from our Maui and Kaua'i trip (lots 'o pics)
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 12:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha, all! Here are a few shots from our recent vacation for anyone who'd like to take a look.

Hey, did you know that United serves Trader Vic Mai Tais on their Hawai'i flights?

Our hotel on Maui was on the west coast on Ka'anapali Beach, overlooking the islands of Lana'i and Moloka'i. There were plenty of cool touches all around the grounds -

These are carvings from one of the canoes they have outside the front entrance.

There is a great courtyard with a tiki bar, small grill and hula stage, as well as this big guy overlooking it all...

They have their own mugs at the bar!

Their menu...

Some shots from the Old Lahaina Luau -

Welcome mai tais...

Baz and I and our little grass shack -

Performers...

Every night at one of the hotels nearby, there's a sunset cliff diving ritual.

Also in Lahaina is the Hale Kahiko, a little open air museum of sorts right smack in a parking lot!

One of our biggest highlights of the Maui trip was lunch at Mama's Fish House. We almost had to sell our kidneys to afford it, but wow, was it sooooo worth it! Gorgeous place, lots of tiki touches, and food that was just amazingly good.

You know you're in for something special when you see the entry...

The appetizers, drinks and lunch were terrific, but the piéce de résistance was dessert - The Black Pearl...

We were in Maui over Halloween, so here's a selection of shots from here and there that were in the spirit...

The Keiki Parade on Front Street -

Next stop, Kaua'i.

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-04 4:57 pm   Permalink

Oh my what a treat...those pictures are awesome!!! I have never been to Maui so gotta go some day.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 7:41 pm   Permalink

Now we move on to Kaua'i.

I know it's not tiki, but I'd be remiss not posting some shots of Waimea Canyon...

We stopped in at the new Koloa Rum distillery at Kilohana Plantation. There's a tasting room, and soon they'll be doing tours of the still itself, apparently. I've become a big fan of their dark rum! It's awesome in a mai tai.

Rum + Tikis = Yay!

We passed Coco Palms on the way north to Hanalei - the property has been off-limits for a long time. It's sad to see the state of it. Baz spoke briefly with some folks that were there who apparently had permission from the owner to clear away some debris, and they said there were no plans to rehabilitate the hotel. So sad.

Heading to Hanalei...

A very cool little shop right in town, chock-full of great Oceanic art...

Some of their artifacts and carvings...

This is a great little bar we visited last time we were on Kaua'i - this time they had music, which was fun. There were as many locals as tourists, if not more.

Baz approves of the beverages.

Back in the south, near Kalaheo, is the Hawaiian Trading Post. On their property is a wonderfully goofy set-up with 2 tikis and a "volcano". I don't know what that plant is, but it kinda works as "lava". Tikiphile landscapers who need a volcano in your yard, take note...

The place we stayed at in Poipu was wonderfully planted and had an orchid garden. I leave you with some pretty Hawaiian flowers...

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 06:46 am   Permalink

Absolutely beautiful pictures and love how they allow us (whom have never been to Hawaii) to explore the islands with you!
I would love to have a night at Exotic Island for you to present the album to a group. We could project the images on the theater wall and round out the evening with music and beverages! Might be a wonderful mid winter respite for all northeasterners!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 09:13 am   Permalink

Wow! Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing them.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 09:43 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, all!

JPM - what a lovely idea! If you think people would be interested and you're willing to share your fabulous space, we'd totally be up for that after the holidays some time. We have waaaay more photos than what I've shown here, including some of Baz's more spectacular shots (surfers, Na Pali coast, etc). We could certainly edit something together.

Mahalo for thinking of it!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-05 09:43, Hibiscus wrote:
We have waaaay more photos than what I've shown here,

I wouldn't mind if you posted more Kauai pics.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-05 12:26 pm   Permalink

Absolutely breathtaking, soooo wanna go.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 1:25 pm   Permalink

Beautiful!!!!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 07:36 am   Permalink

Wow - great photos and looks like you and Bazza had a great time.

Hawaii has been on my list for a looooong time, but I think you just forced me to move it up a few spots...

let us know about any shenanigans that get planned at Exotic Island!

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2010-12-08 07:37 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 12:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the thumbs-ups, everyone!

Hawaii is definitely worth the long flight (for us East Coast-types!). We kind of avoided going for years - now we've got the bug. This is trip #4 for us, and we're not 'over' it yet.

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-08 12:59 pm   Permalink

Hibiscus - thanks for the great photo-log. Beautiful pictures.

I'm really liking that volcano with the fire-red plant being the "lava". Really clever. I'm filing that away for later.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-22 2:02 pm   Permalink

Is Havaiki located in Lihue?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-23 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-22 14:02, christiki295 wrote:
Is Havaiki located in Lihue?

Nope, in Hanalei, right in town. Totally worth a visit.

Koloa Rum

Posted: 2011-02-03 4:58 pm   Permalink

So glad you stopped by Koloa Rum and took some pictures! Hope you enjoyed yourself and the rum!

View Profile of Koloa Rum Send a personal message to Koloa Rum  Email Koloa Rum Goto the website of Koloa Rum     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation