FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Repeal Day, 5th December. The end of Prohibition anniversary
Repeal Day, 5th December. The end of Prohibition anniversary
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 05:20 am   Permalink

Today the fifth of December is Repeal Day. Seventy seven years since prohibition was repealed. Think of how Polynesian pop culture would have ended up had this law remained in effect any longer that it did. I believe not to long after this time Don and Vic started the Polynesian cocktail race that would last for decades.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-12-05 05:25 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-05 6:32 pm   Permalink

happy Repeal Day to all!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-05 10:28 pm   Permalink

Actually, good point... rum drinks may not have gained a foothold at the time they did, if not for Prohibition (and Repeal). I remember reading that Pat O'Brien created the Hurricane Cocktail (4 oz. rum) to use up the multiple cases of rum that distributors required him to buy, for each case of whiskey, in the early days of Repeal. Prohibition devastated the domestic distilling industry, but left the Caribbean rum industry intact. So, while the domestic industry slowly recovered, with whiskey at a premium, rum was readily and cheaply available. So... invent "Polynesian" rum drinks!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-12-05 07:49 am   Permalink

Happy REPEAL DAY, everyone! There has never been a better day to make Zombies. Do it now!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-05 09:45 am   Permalink

Happy Repeal Day!

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-04 08:00 am   Permalink

'Was just talking about this with a dog-walking colleague yesterday in cold-windy metro Chicago.

How Prohibition ever got passed as a Constitutional Amendment is still a bit of a mystery in this mind.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-04 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-04 08:00, Haole Jim wrote:
How Prohibition ever got passed as a Constitutional Amendment is still a bit of a mystery in this mind.

That is an interesting point considering how near-and-dear alcoholic beverages were to all Americans throughout history leading up to Prohibition and beyond.

In the book, "Poisoner's Handbook," the author details how Prohibition lead to tremendous advances in criminal forensics due to all the poisonings from bad liquor. Police investigators had to develop methods by which they could detect more accurately how people died. Was it bad liquor, or was it poisoning by arsenic, cyanide, etc.?

Another book I have at home (can't remember the title now) details how much beer and liquor was woven into daily American life since before the first European settlers arrived on North American shores -- beer was partial payment to sailors, and when voyages ran too long and beer ran out, there was unrest.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-05 2:52 pm   Permalink

Last Call by Daniel Okrent is probably the best book on all aspects of Prohibition.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise-Fall-Prohibition/dp/074327704X

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-06 08:04 am   Permalink

Thanks, tikihardbop, for the recommendation!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 10:50 am   Permalink

It's that day again - CELEBRATE the REPEAL OF PROHIBITION on December 5th, 1933!

Get your cocktail shakers ready and soothe those nerves so savagely frayed by Christmas shopping. DRINK!

Hamo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 8:27 pm   Permalink

To celebrate appropriately, I’m having my own classically-styled cocktail, the Club Babita, in a Nick and Nora glass:

Anybody seen Ken Burns’ Prohibition documentary? I thought it was quite good, and it helped me to understand that our long national nightmare was primarily due to Protestant women and the income tax....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 12:18 pm   Permalink

I celebrated with the most appropriately-named cocktail: the Scofflaw. Rye, lemon juice, grenandine, and dry vermouth.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lavish88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:53 pm   Permalink

Great topic - Freezing temps and high winds mean our outdoor UK Tiki bar is dormant from November until April so my wife came up with a genius idea for the spare room -SPEAKEASY !

Brown paint was purchased and work began last week

MDF and a roll of art deco anaglypta is the basis for the bar front

Ebay for the lights and charity stores for the props.

LEDs from amazon, and a bit of opal perspex for the underlit bottles was an indulgence but works well I think.

About another 5 days and it will be finished in time for xmas.

Regards,

Mark.

View Profile of lavish88 Send a personal message to lavish88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation