FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Maori Village, West Palm Beach, FL (other)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Maori Village, West Palm Beach, FL (other)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 06:07 am   Permalink

Name:Maori Village
Type:other
Street:?
City:West Palm Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Found these little gems yesterday. Yet again a location I can find no details on. I'm not sure if this was a bar, restaurant, motel or what. Was wondering if anyone has some info... Dusty..Sven...Sabu....anyone?

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-12-05 06:08 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 09:12 am   Permalink

This is what I found in old news reports.

Morai Village was a specialty restaurant and night club operated by Food Systems International, a subsidiary of Holiday Inn Inc.

It was located at 5706 Broadway and in 1972 S.T. Vandernoot was the nightclub manager.

Lory Maurice Johnston, a former owner of the Elbo Room and the Sea Breeze Restaurant on Fort Lauderdale beach and whose home movies were recreated in the legendary Spring Break flick "Where the Boys Are", is reported to have been "involved with other ventures", including Trader Jack's in Lauderdale-by the-Sea and Maori Village in West Palm Beach. Mr. Johnson passed away in 2006.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 07:25 am   Permalink

I have found a couple of ads for the Maori Village from 1970. The renderings look good but we all know how that can turn out all to often. Good to find something else for the location though. The current address has an empty lot where the restaurant may have been.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 08:15 am   Permalink

Trav,

Nice find, those renderings look very promising! That A-frame on the left is dramatic and looks to be topped with a Tiki. Must find some photos.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-24 08:15, Dustycajun wrote:
That A-frame on the left is dramatic and looks to be topped with a Tiki. Must find some photos.

MUST, MUST! --ALL the A-frames seem to have Tikis (or Tekoteko, in Maori) on top! This place is an amazing meeting point between Tiki Modern: The Googie A-frame on the left, and original Tiki architecture with the Maori meeting house roof line right next to it!:

There seems to be a Tiki standing on the corner to the left, and then, behind it, under the A-roof, some panels with designs:

Or they were the entrance doors, and the mod A-frame was the porte cochere, modeled after the Mai Kai - from which many Florida Polynesias took their cues.

These kinda details are clearly based on something that existed, nobody would make that up. Fantastic find, Trav.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 1:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. It is always fun to pick up some small item from one of these forgotten restaurants and try and dig up the past. I never ever get tired of it. Hopefully more will turn up.

TikiB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-27 2:35 pm   Permalink

I searched Maori Village and 5706 Broadway in the Palm Beach Post archives. I could not find any pictures of Maori Village from the time it was open. All references to Maori Village are from 1970-1972. I did find articles on a restaurant named Gilligan's (named after the TV show). Which was at the location of the former Maori Village around 1980. There is pictures in the article of the A-frame entrance.

http://news.google.com/newspapers/p/palmbeach?id=rVQvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HMwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4541,1563692&dq=5706+Broadway&hl=en

This article gives a description of the inside of Gilligan's which has a few Tiki touches. I am thinking they were left from when it was the Maori Village.

http://news.google.com/newspapers/p/palmbeach?id=Zv8sAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Xc0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1249,2726826&dq=5706+Broadway&hl=en

This location is a few miles from my house so I am getting pretty excited learning more about it. Thanks OP for starting this post.

View Profile of TikiB Send a personal message to TikiB  Email TikiB     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 5:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for doing some digging TikiB. Here are the shots of the entrance and an ad for Gilligan's from the article both from 1982. It would be great to get some pics of what the location looks like now.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-03-27 17:32 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 9:50 pm   Permalink

Very cool, guys!

So if the "Maori Village" opened in 1970, the trend had peaked, and the operation didn't last long. An easy way to utilize some of the old decor for another, related theme concept would indeed have been "Gilligan's"-like the "Castaways". But the Tikis had to go, they were outdated!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-29 08:18 am   Permalink

here is one of bifcozz and my favourite menu covers.

inside

pupu menu

Flyer

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 10:54 am   Permalink

Pa'akiki,

Stunning! Thank you for posting.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 12:39 pm   Permalink

Ooooh SH&# !!!!! (What's the emoticon for a jaw-drop to the floor, with eyes popping out and rolling around???)

TikiB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-29 1:15 pm   Permalink

WOW! What a great menu. Thanks for sharing pa'akiki! I cant wait till someone posts some pics of the inside of the Maori Village. It is only a matter of time before someone with pics stumbles upon this thread. I live about 5 miles from the location of the former restaurant so I will ask some of the older locals if they remember the restaurant. I grew up in Palm Beach County but this place closed a little before I was born.

View Profile of TikiB Send a personal message to TikiB  Email TikiB     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-29 1:54 pm   Permalink

I drove by the former location of the Maori Village yesterday after work. There was not much to take pics of but I took some anyway. I could not help but notice the irony of taking pics of an empty lot in the rain, with complete cloud cover and right next to a funeral home. I hope someone finds better pics from the past.

First pic is looking South bound on Broadway

Looking North On Broadway

This is from behind the restaurant looking at Broadway

This would be the back half of the restaurant

This is the back of the restaurant looking South towards Broadway

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 1:56 pm   Permalink

Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!! love how the clues start coming together. That menu is fantastic. Any way we can get a good closeup of the rendering from the menu and thanks for sharing.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation