FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Maori Village, West Palm Beach, FL (other)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Maori Village, West Palm Beach, FL (other)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-22 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-21 22:42, Dustycajun wrote:
The parking lot reminds of that old Joni Mitchell song...

Here is an ad for the Maori Village that features Hal Aloma and his Islanders. They also added a Tokyo Steakhouse.

I got a postcard somewhere from that Trylon International Bazaar that Bahama Don posted from down the street. Will have to add that.

DC

Now there's a thread to revive, about a cool Tiki temple of which I would love to see some good photos from its heyday!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-11-22 13:18 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-07 4:33 pm   Permalink

Let's hope some photos show up from the newspaper archives. Until then, another ad with a different looking Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 3:10 pm   Permalink

Another ad featuring the Aloha Lounge for the night people serving til 2 AM!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 7:03 pm   Permalink

Found more better close up images of the Maori Village building shown before.

Look at those carvings, what a place!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 7:22 pm   Permalink

If the place was really as elaborate as the rendering suggests, it still amazes me that there is no photographic evidence of it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 2:32 pm   Permalink

Found this facebook page of the PBA alumni of the 1972 Spring Banquet held at the Maori Village.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.695199830502608.1073741839.183904861632110&type=3

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 3:27 pm   Permalink

Very cool to see photos of the inside, unfortunately nothing on the outside.

DC

Jungle John
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-04 11:33 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle John 2015-02-28 23:39 ]

View Profile of Jungle John Send a personal message to Jungle John      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
therumtrader

Posted: 2016-07-19 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-29 08:18, pa'akiki wrote:
here is one of bifcozz and my favourite menu covers.

I do not want to spoil anything but I learned today that we will be able to see a life-size version of the Maori Village menu cover very soon. It is being used as wall decor in a new restaurant that is opening soon.

View Profile of therumtrader Send a personal message to therumtrader  Goto the website of therumtrader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-20 05:08 am   Permalink

Also on view on page 158 of the book TIKI POP

(I believe the typo in "ENTERS" was fixed in the final version)

therumtrader

Posted: 2016-09-08 11:05 pm   Permalink

I visited Cane Rhum Bar & Caribbean Kitchen in Charleston, SC a few weeks ago to see the life-size version of the Maori Village menu they had made into a wall wrap. It's part of the decor inside their small tiki nook.

View Profile of therumtrader Send a personal message to therumtrader  Goto the website of therumtrader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doc Aikane
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-04 9:59 pm   Permalink

(Eight years late chiming in here - sorry) I grew up 17 blocks south of this restaurant, and one block west. I seem to remember going into it once as a kid but it was too expensive (and exotic!) for us to frequent as a family. The exterior did look like the renditions shown here, and I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere. I'm not sure what it looked like once you turned into the drive, but the facade on the street kept the same appearance throughout it's life from days of The Maori Village right up to it's days as Gilligan's. I remember when it became Gilligan's in the '80s, my mother and a few friends of hers from work would go there for happy hour once every few weeks. She said the drinks were strong, the bar snacks tasty, and the prices fair. By that point in time there would have been at least one prostitute on each block of broadway and plenty of guys standing on corners selling something to the cars that would slow down and motion them over. I left home when I was 18 (can you blame me???) and I'm not sure what happened after 1983. It is currently an empty lot, and the entire neighborhood has changed . . . . but the prostitutes and dealers are still there.

View Profile of Doc Aikane Send a personal message to Doc Aikane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation