FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving carving tikis into live palm trees???
carving tikis into live palm trees???
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 1:46 pm   Permalink

can this be done without killing the tree?

if so, how deep could one go?

considering the damage I've seen done to trees by cars, lightning, etc. without actually killing the tree, I would think it was do-able.

has anyone done it???

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 2:09 pm   Permalink

Just don't do it on city property:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_32b78780-b5db-5516-bd65-0d8f5a416dba.html

this is what an arborist told me about doing it:

It might not kill the tree, but it certainly isn't good for it. It's kind of like taking a hunk of your flesh of and walking around with an open wound. The wound might not kill you, but the infection, gangrene, and other diseases you would subject yourself as a result to would not be good. The tree might only live 10-15 more years, instead of the 50 more if left uncarved.
Then again, he also said that it might not do a thing to the tree. the only sure thing is that you greatly increase the chances of it becoming infected or weakened.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 5:38 pm   Permalink

I've seen it done on palms around here, and the fronds that grow after carving are smaller and shorter.
I get asked occasionally to do it, but I just would rather not.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 08:11 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!

When I first set out to be a guy who makes tikis, I decided in the beginning that I didn't want to will trees, so I guess the live tree tiki is OUT!

Thanks again. I don't want to do any harm.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikimanocean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-26 9:51 pm   Permalink

Live trees are the way to go Mexican fan palms very hardy been carving them for a long time live without issues

View Profile of Tikimanocean Send a personal message to Tikimanocean      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 11:33 pm   Permalink

You boys leave those trees alone!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 09:38 am   Permalink

so, you carve fan palms LIVE and it doesn't hurt them?

really?

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-27 3:31 pm   Permalink

You can carve into your own leg without killing yourself - I'm sure you can do it to trees as well. However just like your led, it probably isn't very good for the tree!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 10:55 am   Permalink

Well Tom, I decided to test that theory and you're right...

I survived but it kinda sucked...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-03 5:07 pm   Permalink

I'm not adovcated carving a live palm but palm anatomy is very different than most trees (as the carvers can attest) Most trees are dicots, the xylem and phloem (circulation system) is only in the outer layer. You can easily kill a dicot by removing a ring of the outer layer all the way around the tree. Palms are monocots, the xylem and phloem are distributed throughout the trunk of the tree and they can take more abuse.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 5:15 pm   Permalink

That is a factual & scientific statement from MDM
so in your face Tree murderers!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-04 04:48 am   Permalink

MDM,
You figure PJCs leg is dicot or monocot?

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-04 06:13 am   Permalink

Actually, that would probably be a monocot too

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation