FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace eBay: uncle trav's miniature paper hut eBay auction
eBay: uncle trav's miniature paper hut eBay auction
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-28 10:09 am   Permalink

Sorry to start singing the same tune but it seems to be popular these days. Need some scratch to pay the bills. I just put the first miniature hut up for bid. I thought someone would be able to enjoy it in their home. Entirely handmade and detailed by me and completed after many hours of work. Please take a look at the auction for all of the details. Thanks for taking a look.
Auction link here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MINIATURE-HANDMADE-TIKI-HUT-VINTAGE-LOOK-AND-STYLE-/190484409025?

Also seen in this thread. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33960&forum=18

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-28 3:45 pm   Permalink

Wonderful work, trav! I had missed your earlier thread with the mini-Kahiki and Tiki Ti, very cool.

Your hut immediately reminded me of the little native hut models in the dining room at the Royal Tahitien Hotel near Papeete in Tahiti:

http://www.hotelroyaltahitien.com/en/restaurant.html

You managed to nail the tropical materials look perfectly without having it as easily available as in Tahiti!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 04:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words Sven. One of those projects borne on the wings of unemployment. Hopefully I can build some more soon.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 2:20 pm   Permalink

Here's a handy guide for future styles :

Of course I concur with Boris that all kinds of American Tiki temples would be a fascinating subject too.
The aforementioned Waikikian hyperbolic paraboloid for sure, and how about the crazy Kon Tiki Hotel lobby building in Phoenix?

Ethnographic museums often have South Sea house models that they commissioned from native builders, some in a large scale, like this man-sized meeting house from Palau in the Hamburg Museum:

This model shows the construction of a Sepik River tribal meeting house, with the scaffolding still attached:

Sorry, once you get me started on A-frame architecture....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 4:18 pm   Permalink

Well, while we're at it, allow me to inject this Maori storehouse miniature I (poorly) photographed at the Museum of Natural History in NY. This is for the advanced modeler.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 5:15 pm   Permalink

So Trav, your a Pepper?

Nice work, good luck with the sale.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-29 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-29 16:18, GatorRob wrote:
Well, while we're at it, allow me to inject this Maori storehouse miniature I (poorly) photographed at the Museum of Natural History in NY.

Not to derail the thread, but I was just at that museum, and also photographed that same storage house....when I saw the opportunity for a little self-portrait:

It's not the Big Joe totem (the Witco one), it's the Big Bro totem!

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-30 06:39 am   Permalink

Great picture Sven!!

Now somebody please build a replica of the Kahiki!!! I'll even take a virtual 3D tour!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2010-12-30 06:39 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-30 07:11 am   Permalink

Thanks for all of the input guys. A bunch of good stuff to work with. Jeff, here was my quick attempt at the Kahiki from awhile back. I'm afraid it's even a bit small for a virtual tour. Built just for kicks to pass the time.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-30 07:28 am   Permalink

Cool, thanks Trav. Nice work!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

Just about sixteen hours left in the auction. It ends tomorrow 1/2/11. I have three bids already. Thanks to all of you for your input and thanks to those of you who have checked out my auction.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-03 05:08 am   Permalink

SOLD. Thanks everyone. I hope to make some more soon.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation