FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » New Orleans - Any New Tiki Action in the Big Easy?
New Orleans - Any New Tiki Action in the Big Easy?
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-28 3:31 pm   Permalink

Heading down to Nawlins for the Sugar Bowl. Being from Little Rock, I know of all the regular places. Having a brother who attended Tulane, I know of some interesting "not-so-usual" places. Of course, I'll be indulging in great live music as well. Here is to wishful thinking...has New orleans scored that ellusive tiki establishment that I have been longing to see in the Crescent City?

Did someone sneak into the city and reopen the famous Bali Ha'i without telling me?

Aunt Tikis? Yeah, not so much!

Beans Tiki Bar at Friend's Coastal Restaurant? Really???

Funky Pirate or one of the 10 dozen Tropical Isle locations? YIKES!!!

PS - Is Lou Lou from New Orleans here on Tiki Central?

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 11:03 am   Permalink

WOW, I guess the answer is that new orleans is still sans tiki. That is just frickin sad! Oh well, the town is still a good locale to get a well crafted cocktail instead of something out of a frozen machine!!!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 11:15 am   Permalink

Vince Martini,

Missed your post the first time. If you have time, you should check out the remains of the Bali Hai restaurant that are located in the City Park in Kenner. I went there last year, nice piece of history.

Port o Call in the Quarter is quasi Tiki and a fun, young crowd, best burgers in New Orleans.

The Museum of the American Cocktail used to have a nice exhibit on Tiki cocktails.

I have not heard of anything else.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 11:31 am   Permalink

DC, thanks a bunch. I would like to get out and see the old Bali Hai. Do you have a rough address I can use as a coordinate?

I will absolutely check out Port O Call, too!

Mahalo Nui Loa!!!

VM

Quote:

On 2011-01-02 11:15, Dustycajun wrote:
Vince Martini,

Missed your post the first time. If you have time, you should check out the remains of the Bali Hai restaurant that are located in the City Park in Kenner. I went there last year, nice piece of history.

Port o Call in the Quarter is quasi Tiki and a fun, young crowd, best burgers in New Orleans.

The Museum of the American Cocktail used to have a nice exhibit on Tiki cocktails.

I have not heard of anything else.

DC

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 8:36 pm   Permalink

TofuJoe and I just got back from having decent (dare I say, some were quite good!) Tiki drinks at, of all places, The Saint http://thesaintbar.tumblr.com/ in the Lower Garden District. We live, seriously, three blocks away.

The bartender's a guy named Benji, and he's interested in rum-based cocktails. We had very good "Trader Vic's Grog", A Mai Tai (made w/ Appleton), a couple of punches, along with a delicious Rum variation of a Gin Fizz.

Good enough, that we're going to head back next Tuesday. We were the only ones in our Aloha wear, and will likely be the only ones next time, too.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-11 12:59 pm   Permalink

Haole'akamai and Tofu Joe,

Thanks for the update on Tiki in New Orleans. I checked out the website for The Saint and it looks like Tuesday is going to be a blast with ..... TIKIOKI!!

1,200 Songs and Singapore Slings, sounds like a dangerous combo.

Be nice to see a photo or two from your next visit.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-11 12:59, Dustycajun wrote:
Haole'akamai and Tofu Joe,

Thanks for the update on Tiki in New Orleans. I checked out the website for The Saint and it looks like Tuesday is going to be a blast with ..... TIKIOKI!!

1,200 Songs and Singapore Slings, sounds like a dangerous combo.

Be nice to see a photo or two from your next visit.

DC

OKAY, TIME FOR ME TO COME BACK TO NEW ORLEANS!!! I also want to get back to the Roosevelt and the re-opened Sazerac Bar!!!

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 08:52 am   Permalink

So!

I'm reviving this old thread (and my posting here on TC!), to say there's a small, but fervent Tiki scene that is coalescing here in the Big Easy.

Looks like 2012 will end with possibly: two new Tiki bars open, a Tiki walking club (to walk in the 2013 Mardi Gras parades) and I'm working hard to have a little Tiki weekend get-together in September.

Mahalo!
~T

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 5:21 pm   Permalink

FANTABULOUS!!!

Please let me know as soon as you have a date for your soirée and I will do my best to head South!!!

paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 12:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 08:52, Haole'akamai wrote:
So!

I'm reviving this old thread (and my posting here on TC!), to say there's a small, but fervent Tiki scene that is coalescing here in the Big Easy.

Looks like 2012 will end with possibly: two new Tiki bars open, a Tiki walking club (to walk in the 2013 Mardi Gras parades) and I'm working hard to have a little Tiki weekend get-together in September.

Mahalo!
~T

Anything in time for Tales of the Cocktail? July 25-29th. I'll be there.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-06 4:43 pm   Permalink

There's Tikioke at The Saint on Tuesday, if you're coming in early in the week.

Other than that, neither Tiki bar will be open yet, but there are several places that you can get a delightful Tiki-style drink: Nick Detrich, Kirk Estopinal, and Ryan Gannon at Bellocq and/or Cure; Chris Hannah at French 75; Kimberly Patton-Bragg at The Bar at Tamarind; Marvin at The Carousel Bar, to name a few.

cathuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-13 02:49 am   Permalink

Awesome!! As if we needed an excuse to revisit The Big Easy

View Profile of cathuna Send a personal message to cathuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Silly Idol

Posted: 2013-07-23 9:49 pm   Permalink

I know it's been a while since this thread has had a reply, but there is currently some nice tiki action in New Orleans you might like to know about. Tiki Tolteca is a pop-up tiki bar above Felipe's Mexican restaurant in the French Quarter (301 N. Peters Street). They open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and sometimes on Fridays and Saturdays. Their menu specializes in Latin American flavors including mezcal and pisco drinks. They have some souvenir mugs too(Dynasty Easter Islander).

View Profile of Silly Idol Send a personal message to Silly Idol      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Znorps

Posted: 2013-07-24 6:15 pm   Permalink

This may be a long shot, and I'm not sure if it deserves its own thread, but I'm heading to Lafayette on Monday for work. Does anyone have info on any tiki happenings in that neck of the woods? Have never been and have no idea what to expect.

View Profile of Znorps Send a personal message to Znorps      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 6:24 pm   Permalink

Just stay out of the swamp........

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation