FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-23 7:36 pm   Permalink

Woo-hoo!!! :-)

Let's hear it for Tod Swormsted and friends at the Sign Museum!

Another bit of classic mid-century California saved for future generations! Thanks guys!

CJ

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 10:56 am   Permalink

**********As of 7/10/03**********

There is absolutely no turning back...

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-07-25 10:57 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-25 3:26 pm   Permalink

As the dust settles and it falls into night, you can faintly hear, ever so softly, of bowling pins and laughter, the sound of ice falling into a highball glass..... I will miss Kona Lanes also. The charismatic structure is lost, but if you listen very carefully.....

View Profile of RenTiki Send a personal message to RenTiki  Email RenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-25 3:28 pm   Permalink

Perhaps I shall make an oil painting of the sacred sign. Good Idea?

View Profile of RenTiki Send a personal message to RenTiki  Email RenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reever
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-26 07:20 am   Permalink

Looks like another chain I'll have to boycott. Not that I ever went to Kohl's. Walgreens, you now have company.

View Profile of Reever Send a personal message to Reever  Goto the website of Reever     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 07:49 am   Permalink

They tore down the ice rink too!!! The meories of knocking myself out cold when I was a kid trying to learn how to ice skate!!! Drove by the other day and it was like...something is missing!!! Am I in the right place? Twilite zone-ish!! Not good for the brain!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-26 11:36 am   Permalink

I haven't even been by there since they've taken down the sign. I just don't wanna expose myself to that.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-26 11:04 pm   Permalink

Oh my god, not Ice Capades! I loved going there when I was in High School! We got to know some of the kids working there and would have parties after closing time, on the ice with the furniture. We'd have chair races and eat pizza and chug beers. OOhhhhhhh, I can't believe they tore that down too. Ohh the pain.

Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 8:31 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I have found the Kona Lanes sign...
Or perhaps it was never missing to begin with.

I came upon this site by accident this evening:
http://www.signmuseum.com/exhibits/collection/neon2/neon2.htm

It's in Cincinnati,oddly enough, in a very cool sign museum (read personal collection).

joe

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-03 8:44 pm   Permalink

Wow, thanks Tiki Joe. That is an odd place for it to end up. Cincinnati.

Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 8:45 pm   Permalink

I am as surprised as you are.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 8:50 pm   Permalink

Great! How did you stummble upon it? Did you go to the museum or found it online? Either way it great to know where it's at! Thanks for posting the news!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 10:34 pm   Permalink

kona%20lanes" TARGET="_blank">A bit of Kona Lanes History here on Tiki Central will show that the sign's final destination was always going to be the museum in Ohio (see "lynxwiler's" post on the thread).

kona%20lanes" TARGET="_blank">More Kona Lanes reading.

kona%20lanes" TARGET="_blank">What a great night at Kona Lanes!

Also, I pass the old site where Kona Lanes used to live and as of today it STILL is an empty lot...those b*astards at City Council!

I am still quite disturbed about it being torn down since I grew up in Costa Mesa and Kona Lanes was my hangout for years! It was the only place I could go on my bike before driving where I could always find my friends; the place where (during my Rockabilly days) we could bowl and enjoy music anytime and meet girls at the neighboring Ice Capades; the place that had the coolest coffee shop...ah well, I'm pissed all over again! uuuuggh!

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Sugar

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 12:09 am   Permalink

I am so sad about that awful empty lot. As Charlie Brown used to say: AAAUUUGGGHHH!!! Yet I'm happy that at least that awesome sign is still making people feel good just looking at it .

Now if only the Hanalei sign were there keeping it company--what a pair!

I COULD do a search but I'm dead tired...anyone know what happened to the Hanalei relic?

Thanks for posting about this!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 11:36 am   Permalink

DawnTiki

I was researching about the Kon Tiki, online, that was here in Cincinnati years ago. I found nothing about the Kon Tiki, but I came across this link to the Sign Museum. I've been past the museum many times and I've seen some really great signs in their lot. I've always wanted to stop by, now I have to.

Mahalo,
Joe

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation