FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Weekender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's Feb 18-20
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Weekender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's Feb 18-20
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 2:26 pm   Permalink

This started with an email to some tikiphiles and exotic (rum) cocktail lovers I know and have met from events from all over and quickly picked up well more than a dozen, so far, who will join us in Atlanta for the weekend.

The more the merrier, so this invitation is open to "those merry souls who make drinking a pleasure; who achieve contentedness long before capacity; and who, whenever they drink, prove able to carry it, enjoy it and remain ladies and gentlemen." (Trader Vic)

A Tiki Weekender to the Atlanta Trader Vic's is underway for February 18-20.

The Atlanta Trader Vic's has the distinction of being the last of the Trader Vic's located in a Hilton, and the last remaining full line Trader Vic's on the east coast. First opened in 1976, it is also considered by some to be one of the last classic Trader Vic's remaining in the chain.

For the tikiphile, rum cocktail lover, and anyone who has not been to a Trader Vic's before, this will be a weekend to enjoy rum cocktails from one of the cornerstones of tiki and near museum of of exotic cocktails - Trader Vic's. Mai Tai, Zombie, Navy Grog, Scorpion, Fog Cutter and Suffering Bastard are just a few of the many classic exotics still mixed there.

No schedule to keep. Just grab your best Hawaiian shirt and meet us there.
No tickets to buy - though you *are* on your own for your bar tab

Enjoy Atlanta during the day and we'll gather at Vic's on Friday and Saturday after 5.
We've arranged for a Group Rate of only $129 per night at the Atlanta Hilton.
(When the final numbers are in, we'll look into possibly having an group dinner on Saturday)

To book a room at the Atlanta Hilton where the Trader Vic's is located:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/A/ATLAHHH-FOM-20110218/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

Come join us for the fun of a tiki weekend where nobody needs a designated driver
and you'll only be an elevator button from a cold Mai Tai all weekend long.

If you have any trouble with booking or questions about the trip,
PM me here or email me at jj.tiki@hotmail.com

Aloha,
jwtiki

[ This Message was edited by: jwtiki 2011-01-10 22:16 ]

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 3:12 pm   Permalink

Ah, that magical elevator button. Somewhere around here I have an audio recording I made of the elevator gal. "Trader Vic's and Mai-Tai bar." I can hear her now. And that Saturday just happens to be my birthday.

Another elevator sight. Going down...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

Aaah, great the Atlanta Vic's, one of the last original ones left in the US. They deserve all the patronage they can get. Site of the first Hukilau - sweet memories!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 9:16 pm   Permalink

Looks like I'll be making it, or trying my best! And yes Sven, sweet memories...

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 08:10 am   Permalink

Trevor has to work Friday, so we will be driving in very late Friday night. We will see everyone Saturday night at TV, though! Can't wait!

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 08:36 am   Permalink

(Repeating myself from the MD/DC Tiki board-)

(As I've mentioned to jwtiki repeatedly now) This is a brilliant idea and absolutely worth the pilgrimage!

For those who have never been, here
http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Trader-Vics-Atlanta are just a precious few 'detail' snapshots we fired off a few years back. I think I have another more useful batch here somewhere, but haven't got them up yet.

Many wonders await just beyond that entranceway up ahead...

it's an amazing time capsule, and marvelous mixology, both still as alive and vital today as the day it opened.

OakTiki and I are coming (barring insane weather or the like,) and should have our reservations completed later on today.

I hope we'll see some of you there!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-11 11:11 am   Permalink

There are a few other places that I'd like to arrange to take everyone or some of you that may be interested. Since I lived in Atlanta for many years I know of some amazing antique stores, great diners and a few other sights to behold off the beaten path.

I totally suggest that we hit Dante's Down the Hatch. When I was thinking of moving The Hukilau back to Atlanta at one point we were going to spend a night here. It would be great to have a cocktail here:
http://www.dantesdownthehatch.com/ - it's just as amazing as it looks. A bunch of us Florida Tikiphiles met there last year and had a blast!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-11 6:59 pm   Permalink

cool, i saw this on facebook the other day. i think i can make this work with a business trip next month!

looking forward to meeting the F.O.M. folks!

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-13 08:05 am   Permalink

TikiKiliki, that Dante's place looks amazingly cool!!!! Now I want to get there earlier Friday night so we can go there, too. Might have to plan that for lunch Saturday while out thrifting!

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-13 08:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-11 18:59, Zonker88 wrote:
cool, i saw this on facebook the other day. i think i can make this work with a business trip next month!

looking forward to meeting the F.O.M. folks!

& we're looking forward to meeting you, too!!

Can't wait! Gonna be lots 'o FUN!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-13 08:31 am   Permalink

Dante's is a must every trip to ATL. The downer is they ask an $8 cover/admission to see the whole place, i.e. the inside of the ship. We usually just sit at the bar and soak the place in. Be sure to go around back on the building where there are various things, like a vintage Duesenburg.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 07:09 am   Permalink

+2 Atl ohana!
My wife Allison and I would be all about Trader Vics and a drink or two at Dantes! I'd also throw out Bookhouse Pub as a fun place to stop by for a snack and note that Junkman's Daughter in 5 points sells Tiki Farm.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 09:24 am   Permalink

Also, 2 blocks west and 1 block south from TV is the Westin, which is the tallest hotel in the East I think, and the Sundail up top rotates. 73 stories up!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 09:33 am   Permalink

Update:
We've got about 15 folks flying/driving from out of town coming in so far. About a dozen will be staying at the Hilton. I've heard from another 5 or 6 who are local to Atlanta.

Great to hear from folks in the Atlanta area, please keep the suggestions for additional not-to-be-missed spots to try. I hope to gather the suggestions together and send them out to everyone who's coming.

So until we reach the occupancy permit limit in the bar, there is always room for more!

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 4:06 pm   Permalink

Don't worry about Dante's. I do believe that $8 cover is a thing of the past - I have been there for drinks several times over the last year and have never been asked to pay a cover. Just so everyone knows!

The Hukilau

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation