FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » The Hula Girls at Forbidden Island 2/19/11!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Hula Girls at Forbidden Island 2/19/11!!
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-18 6:45 pm   Permalink

I,ll you guys there. I hope you have the D-loveley D-D-Dinah along for the ride!
If so, I,m gonna have to Detox -- she,s intoxicating!

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2011-02-19 22:44 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 10:41 am   Permalink

Great show !! I like the new songs and I'm glad that no fights broke out.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 11:55 am   Permalink

Agreed, love "Volcano", "The Hidden Village" and "Warm Sands Of Huntington Beach". Good to hang with Bong and meet and talk story with Spike. Always love seein' friends again. F.I. is a lovely buncha coconuts.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 2:51 pm   Permalink

Good times last night, hangin' with new(er) peeps, and catching up with old peeps as well. Hula Girls ripped up the place! Spike, Dominic, and the rest of the boys, thanks for coming up, it was a blast! A big congrats to Aquatic Safarinaut for finishing the Kill Devil list, and getting his plaque on the wall! I'm on your heels, buddy! Sobering up at La Penca Azul (formerly La Pinata) was great, too!

Has anyone seen or heard from Dr. Z and Sabu? We kept a watchful eye out for them, but they never arrived. Hope they aren't re-creating the movie "Survive!" on the Grape Vine!

I didn't really take any photos last night, as my camera is on the fritz. But I did manage to use my phone to capture Rugby Matt getting his cherry popped with a Virgin Sacrifice Bowl. Good times last night! Good times...

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-02-20 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-20 14:51, Mai Tai wrote:
Has anyone seen or heard from Dr. Z and Sabu? We kept a watchful eye out for them, but they never arrived. Hope they aren't re-creating the movie "Survive!" on the Grape Vine!

Do you mean
"Alive"?

Not that it's all that different.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 7:31 pm   Permalink

Nope! I meant this one, Survive!, the one that was made in the mid '70's. I forgot about that other version, "Alive", from the early 90's, is it the same plot line?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-02-20 7:52 pm   Permalink

It doesn't really matter which version but if I see either of those guys with a um... sack of nuts I won't ask where they got em.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 09:20 am   Permalink

Sorry, merely the possibility that LapuRocker would be there was enough to keep me away...

No, seriously, Sabu had some concerns about the driving conditions, especially on the Grapevine, so we decided we'd be better 'safe than sorry' (insert Donner Party/Chilean soccer team joke here) and make the trip up there another time. We would have posted sooner, but he's been battling a virus on his computer, and I have been without electricity since Friday evening. (Some fun!)

Glad to here the show was great - lookin' forward to the new tunes & hopefully we'll catch up with our NorCal peeps in March...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FilthyMidget
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 11:51 am   Permalink

I heard the show was amazing!!!
I was bummed I could not travel there, my close buddy is now hooked on Tiki
because of this show. He told me he heard people asking for the FilthyMidget!
He didn't catch the gentleman's name. Hello to that person & drop me a PM to say HI!

View Profile of FilthyMidget Send a personal message to FilthyMidget  Email FilthyMidget     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-21 12:16 pm   Permalink

Sorry we missed the show...heard it was killa!!! Great pic of Matt...he does a fabulous job of representing for Sac.

Hope to see more pics of the FI with The Hula Girls in full swing.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwinginTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-21 1:41 pm   Permalink

Damn, that was a good time! Thanks to Michael and the whole FI crew for making us feel welcome. Cheers!

View Profile of SwinginTiki Send a personal message to SwinginTiki  Email SwinginTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-21 11:51, FilthyMidget wrote:
I heard the show was amazing!!!
I was bummed I could not travel there, my close buddy is now hooked on Tiki
because of this show. He told me he heard people asking for the FilthyMidget!
He didn't catch the gentleman's name. Hello to that person & drop me a PM to say HI!

Uhhhmmm, that was me, asking about "The Filthy Midget". Yeah I didn't catch his name either. Can I just say Hi here? As for the show, I loved every minute of it. Even did some dancing while sitting. (no not a lap dance) Imagine that.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-21 13:58, Jungle Trader wrote:

Uhhhmmm, that was me, asking about "The Filthy Midget". Yeah I didn't catch his name either. Can I just say Hi here? As for the show, I loved every minute of it. Even did some dancing while sitting. (no not a lap dance) Imagine that.

Filthy Midget Lap Dances.
Now that's a Tiki bar I would go to!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FilthyMidget
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 3:18 pm   Permalink

Jungle Trader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!! His name is Ray
I have convinced him to join Tiki Central, so his TC name will soon be revealed.

Thanks for asking about me
It totally made my morning!

I will hopefully be up North next month.
I will let all know so we can all hold our Mai Tai's high together.

As for FilthyMidget Lap Dances!
I have you know I work for booze & Art

aka The Filthy Midget

View Profile of FilthyMidget Send a personal message to FilthyMidget  Email FilthyMidget     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 8:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks again to Michael at FI for having The Hula Girls up to play his bar. I am still in awe of the place! Amazing drinks, amazing decor, and amazing people there! It was great to finally meet some of the TCers that I've 'known' for the last 9 years, but had not yet met (especially Jungletrader and Unga Bunga, among others).

And now, our photo journal from the road....

While this thread is about Forbidden Island, our journey began at the Bamboo Hut in rainy SF.

The Bamboo Hut happens to be on one of the sluttiest streets in San Francisco. The only reason I remember the name of the street is because we met this old drunk Chinese man who kept calling himself Broadway Joe. He was awesome and kept insisting on knuckle bumping. It's on Broadway, full of strip clubs and adult stores...

The Bamboo Hut from the back booth...

The legendary Coral Sands tiki mask still overlooks the bar...

Our bassist, Christian, in awe of the GIANT pufferfish lamps...

Here's Bonger, tuning up the steel guitar behind cover model and now merch girl, Miss Dinah DeRosa...

Blag Dhalia, singer of the punk rock band, The Dwarves, came to the show, as well as our buddies, Thee Swank Bastards! They happened to be in SF playing for an art show opening. Here's TSB bassist, Shawn, out front of The Bamboo Hut. I wish I would have snapped some pictures of Blag and Szandora and everyone else that we saw (including Broadway Joe).... L to R: Christian Kessler, Dominic Tucci, Miss Judy Luck, Miss Dinah DeRosa, Spike, and Kevin Bullat.

Group photo... There was a pretty good sized group of tiki fans that came to the show! It was nice meeting Brenda of Brenda's Tiki Hut as well as the group of guys that came to see us.

The Bamboo Hut is a pretty odd place. While their staff was amazing to us, the location invites total weirdness to happen. While we were playing, there was a guy in a top hat (think the singer from 4 Non Blondes) who kept dancing to himself in the mirrors. Fully 'on something' for sure. He proceeded to get into a fight with some big Suicidal Tendencies fan and ended up getting chased out of the bar. We also had yuppies, wasted birthday girls, vice cops, and all kinds of other people seeing the show there...

And now back to Alameda...

Here's our road manager, Mike, helping to, once again, load and unload the van. You can tell how excited he is... Mike also happens to be the manager of the legendary punk band, X.

Bassist, Christian, in the back patio of FI...

Mike, in awe of the amazing Forbidden Island! I tell you, the only other bar that I've been to that even compares to FI is Frankie's in Vegas. Seriously, the place is unreal.

Dominic, loading in the tiniest bass drum ever. What it lacks in size, it makes up in sparkles! Yay!

Tiki Bong, settin' it up... Fountain tiki carved by Danny Gallardo.

Curse of the Tiki cover model, Miss Dinah DeRosa, taking her hula-a-go-go place on the raised platform...

Hey, get to the stage!

Yeah, you too...!

The show!

Forbidden Island was packed with the nor Cal ohana... and some So Cal ohana (John-O!)... but not Sabu or Doctor Z.

Aloha...

Another crowd shot from behind the rhythm section...

John, Aquatic Safarinaut, receives his 'I've drank a thousand glasses of rum award' from Michael...

Thanks again to everyone who came out to the show! Our reception there was just amazing. We really had a ball, thanks again!

Also, we have a small amount of event posters left for sale. If you didn't get one, you can get them here:
http://thehulagirls.bigcartel.com/product/the-hula-girls-forbidden-island-poster

Looking forward to seeing more pictures from the night! Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2011-02-21 20:02 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation