FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Jerry Sun info found!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Jerry Sun info found!
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 12:22 am   Permalink

These records should be arriving in Europe about now; mine arrived yesterday. Sweet!

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 07:16 am   Permalink

The latest Cocktail Nation show by Koop Kooper features and interview with me talking about Jerry Sun!

Check it out here.....

http://cocktailnation.podbean.com/2011/09/17/cocktail-nation-188-who-is-jerry-sun/

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 5:15 pm   Permalink

KOOP!!!

Opening up with Joey Altruda - "Remembering Jobim!"

Thank you, thank you...THANK YOU!!!

Jeff, the Jerry Sun interview was awesome, buddy. Koop needs to have you on more often!!!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-22 12:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the nice compliments!

Below you will find a link for a free download of Les Baxter's "Tiki" played by Jerry Sun. It is available on the album The Exotica Sounds of Jerry Sun. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/jeff-central/jerry-sun-tiki

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 3:35 pm   Permalink

Just got mine today! Can't wait to pop it on the turntable and give it a listen....... Might even mix up a "Little Surfer Girl" to help enhance the mood, too!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blender

Posted: 2011-09-29 2:39 pm   Permalink

I played the recordings for my Dad. He knows Jerry is a better musician than what the recordings represented.

He heard him play live in the 60's. Should have been done better.

View Profile of Blender Send a personal message to Blender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-29 11:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-22 12:59, Jeff Central wrote:
Thanks for all the nice compliments!

Below you will find a link for a free download of Les Baxter's "Tiki" played by Jerry Sun. It is available on the album The Exotica Sounds of Jerry Sun. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/jeff-central/jerry-sun-tiki

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thanks for the Jerry Sun track. The vinyl is on its way, so this will continue to whet my appetite until it arrives.

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-29 14:39, Blender wrote:
I played the recordings for my Dad. He knows Jerry is a better musician than what the recordings represented.

I agree Blender and so does Jerry. The recording quality is good but the musicianship wasn't the greatest. Jerry really complained about "Desafinado" and the wrong notes the bass player was playing.

The thing to keep in mind is that this was a "practice tape" and not meant for public consumption.

I'm just happy to release vintage Exotica music that nobody has ever heard before even with the minor inconsistencies. I'm hoping that most people appreciate it too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

DarthMalaguti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-30 09:11 am   Permalink

Jeff, thanks for the download. After hearing the song, I immediately purchased the album.

View Profile of DarthMalaguti Send a personal message to DarthMalaguti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 10:06 am   Permalink

WOW! Thanks!!

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-10-01 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-30 06:51, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-29 14:39, Blender wrote:

I agree Blender and so does Jerry. The recording quality is good but the musicianship wasn't the greatest. Jerry really complained about "Desafinado" and the wrong notes the bass player was playing.

The thing to keep in mind is that this was a "practice tape" and not meant for public consumption.

I'm just happy to release vintage Exotica music that nobody has ever heard before even with the minor inconsistencies. I'm hoping that most people appreciate it too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I totally agree Jeff. I'd rather hear something in "slightly less than perfect" condition than never hear it at all. And heck, I'm such a philistine that I didn't even notice.

Thanks again for putting the record out!

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hacienda Kid

Posted: 2011-11-11 7:18 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Hacienda Kid 2012-04-09 08:59 ]

View Profile of Hacienda Kid Send a personal message to Hacienda Kid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-13 7:18 pm   Permalink

Jeff, sorry about taking so long to thank you for the album and signed photo by Jerry! It was great to be involved in this. But like others have noticed Desafinado seems strange, a cool intro and outro with what seems like a sketch of the tune in-between. But on the whole...sweet!

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-24 11:21 pm   Permalink

Here's the photo that Jeff sent me...

thanks Jeff!

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-25 05:27 am   Permalink

No Bob, thank YOU for the incredible detective work and for securing the reels used in the making of this record! It was definitely a collaborative effort.

It really made my day when Jerry said "You've made an old musician very happy."

I was saddened though when I heard the passing of Kearney Barton, the man responsible for recording Jerry's first album.

The Seattle obit can be found here.....

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?n=kearney-whitsell-barton&pid=155567826

At least we have his legacy of wonderful music to remember him by.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation