FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Jerry Sun info found!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Jerry Sun info found!
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-25 10:39 am   Permalink

Finally picked this up sun.
Lee from Dionysus was vending at The Winter Surf Fest I put together.
and I was like oh yeah, I need to get that.
will report back soon with a review.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rpsprott

Posted: 2013-02-13 11:37 am   Permalink

Amazing! I came to this forum a couple of hours ago looking for into on The Flying Jib in Redondo Beach and while looking through the site found this info on Jerry Sun.

I knew Jerry in Tacoma, Washington. I was in the Army and use to bring my musician buddies to sit in with him. Jerry dubbed me the Ted Mack of South Tacoma (I did bring in a clunker once in a while). He played at a club called "The End". Two of the guys he was with were still with him when I saw him at the Hacienda in Vegas in 1971. During the time in Tacoma, the Seattle Worlds Fair was going on and Seattle had Sunday blue laws which curtailed a lot of clubbing. So a lot of the performers from the fair heard about "The End" and came down to sit in with Jerry on Sunday nights. Errol Garner, Bob Newhart and a lot of other performers would show up in Tacoma just for the heck of it.

Warren Sauer and Pete Henderson played with Jerry at times. Pete Henderson made Big Noise from Winnetka famous again with Warren playing Pete's bass with drumsticks. Pete got out of the Army and rejoined his old partner William Skiles later and went on from there to be Skiles and Henderson.

It was mentioned that he did Love for Sale. He had a beautiful singer named Mia that sang that song. I think she moved to Alaska. She also sang Lover Man and some others. I developed a serious bond (a crush) with her but she was dating another, alas, and I never had a chance. Jerry was superb on the vibes and also played a lot of other exotic instruments. He became known for his exotic music and the club would fill every night. No booze in that club so you had to smuggle it in yourself or drink down the street at a pretty rough G.I. bar called The Retreat. I got out of the Army and didn't run into Jerry again until Las Vegas. By that time he had dropped the exotic music and was doing pop music. It was okay but it wasn't the same. I understand he is releasing a new album. If anyone knows where to get it please post it. He was great.

View Profile of rpsprott Send a personal message to rpsprott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 12:16 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC rpsprott,

Thanks for reminising about your times with Jerry Sun!! One of the coolest aspects of Tiki Central is the friends and family of people we admire who stumble upon our shores. Truly invaluable stuff!!

Here is a link to the New Jerry Sun album. It actually came out in 2011.

http://www.dionysusrecords.com/shop/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2861

It was originally recorded in 1962 and is highly recommended!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-08 7:48 pm   Permalink

Just ran across video of the Jerry Sun Show playing for a private show at the Anaheim Marriott in 1983.

"Rhapsody in Blue"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMRzT8I2h8

and
"I'll Remember You-Johnny B. Goode"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tlUsjCD8ik

The music is more from the Vagas years but if you listen they still used bird whistles!

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 06:07 am   Permalink

WHOLLY COW!!!!!

Thanks Tikicoma!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation