FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-14 09:50 am   Permalink

I've always enjoyed sculpting and inspired by the wealth of ceramic awesomeness going on here, I decided to take the opportunity of being in Michigan to take a class at Pewabic. Pewabic is a real cool ceramic company that has been in the city of Detroit since 1903. It's always inspirational to see the works of some of the most talented ceramic artists in the country on display here and the work they do as a company with their glazes is beyond words. Its also cool to see the huge old machines and the variety of kilns they still use to make clay and their wares. If ever in the city, it's definitely worth a trip, but I digress...

Anyway, never working with this type of clay before has been quite a learning experience, and glazing has soo many variables it is truly an art in itself. I have so far only done a few pieces (with varying levels of detail) and have decided to limit my glazing to only a few of my favorites to try and not overwhelm myself with options and just do as many as possible... So the very first one is kind've a "tribute" mug of one of the Hukilau mugs (by Kevin Kidney I believe). I'm not trying to produce anything like this, I just really love the design and was unable to get one myself soo... It was a cool exercise, and I learned a lesson about drying time. I ran out of time (and didn't cover my clay) so I wasn't able to attach a base..

Sorry about the crappy photos, the flash really kills the look of the glaze, it's definitely not perfect but much better than in the pics...

[ This Message was edited by: TikiKIrby 2011-04-15 09:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiKIrby 2011-12-18 11:15 ]

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-14 10:08 am   Permalink

You will probably notice that I'm a huge fan of the Tangaroa, and if you haven't seen my shower design, this will help confirm my sickness. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25728&forum=18&hilite=tangaroa But I do have several other favorites I plan to explore...

Anyway, number 2 is my favorite of the bunch so far, I plan to cast this one once I refine the design a bit. Now that I see how the glaze is affected..

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-14 10:32 am   Permalink

On number 3 I basically simplified the tang design to make it easier to cast. I planned on giving these out as christmas gifts, I just ran out of time. I did make a 3 piece mold of it which messed up this original a bit but I wanted to glaze it anyway for experience... This will be the first design I will cast (I guess for next christmas!!)

I know I have a lot to learn so please any suggestions/ constructive crits would really be appreciated !!!

The first three done (glazed in the same kiln load)!!

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 10:41 am   Permalink

Those look great. I really like the full body sculpt...but they're all cool.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-14 10:44 am   Permalink

Great work Kirby - beatiful glaze. I had seen the shower before but it was good to see it again - hilarious faucet placement

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-14 11:28 am   Permalink

Great work, Kirby. I'll take one of each when you're ready!

And welcome back to the mainland.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-01-14 11:49 am   Permalink

Sorry Guys, this isn't Kirby. This is "TIKIKIRBY", a different person. He didn't just get back from Hawaii, so no need to welcome him back to the mainland.

Good job TIKIKIRBY. Good to see you back posting, since you moved out-of-state.

GROG love the Tangaroan, but you forgot his penis!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64

Posted: 2011-01-14 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-14 11:28, Tobor64 wrote:
And welcome back to the mainland.

(oops, my mistake! Well, KIRBY should start makin' more mugs with you anyway, Grog.)

And once again, nice work TikiKirby. Sorry about the mix up.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-14 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanx for clearing that up Grog. I did just go on a trip to Hawaii before I started this class, but I didn't think I posted about it... Yeah I'm a different Kirby, since it is my name I'm not unused to hearing it
used... Thanx for the nice comments. MDM and Grog, you guys are setting the bar high, I'm really diggin' the new stuff.

Anyway, I plan to do some tribute mugs of some Michigan tikis. First is my wip of Mauna Loa... PS. if anyone has a Mauna Loa mug, I'd love to see a side shot of it..

Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-01-14 8:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha TikiKIrby!
Wow I love your mugs, the penis-less tangaroa is awesome...
Here's a few shots of the mauna loa...

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-14 9:12 pm   Permalink

Wow, Mahalo nui loa Beachbumz !!!

I was kinda close....

mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 05:38 am   Permalink

Awesome mugs,love the Mauna Loa tribute mug. Do you plan to do any more Mauna Loa mugs like the drum mug or the pigeon mug and are you going to glaze it in Pewabic style glaze. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 08:27 am   Permalink

*droooooooool*

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-15 10:03 am   Permalink

That's far better than the original. You are now like Bai - perfect. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-01-15 1:29 pm   Permalink

Now Danlovetiki has gone too far! Him really good---the boy showing some major skills, but comparing Tikikirby to Bai?!! You take that back!!! This is BAI we're talking about!! Sure Tikikirby displaying some impressive skills as a beginning ceramicist, but to compare Tikikirby to Bai is like comparing Little Lost Tiki to Rembrandt. Sure they both sling some paint,but Rembrandt was a MASTER artist, and Ruzic....well he's Ruzic. Hell, if Ruzic had half the talent of BigToe, we might even be able to call LLT an artist instead of a craftsperson. Danlovestikis can't just throw out compliments so carelessly. It's irresponsible and dangerous. Now you've put a lot of pressure on poor Tikikirby to keep creating awesome ceramics. What if it was just a fluke---beginner's luck that his stuff is looking so great already? All of a sudden the rest of the stuff he produces looks like turds. Then him start feeling inadequate and his confidence is shattered. He starts producing less and less art and starts drinking. It starts affecting his professional and private life. The harder he tries, the worse it gets and he starts drinking even more heavily. Next thing you know, he's lost his job, his wife files for divorce and he becomes a hermit. All he does is sit around in his underwear, drink beer and watch reruns of Cops on TV. Him not bathe for weeks, and never cleans the house. Rubbish starts piling up and the neighbors complain about the smell. He eventually gets kicked out for not paying the mortgage because he has no income, and next thing you know he's standing on a street corner panhandling for change. You wouldn't want that would you?! So you be more careful when handing out compliments.

Nice job Tikikirby, GROG looking forward to seeing more.

See? Now that how it done. Complimentary, but not TOO complimentary, and encouraging the artist to continue to make more without adding too much pressure to perform at too high of a level to maintain or surpass.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2011-01-15 14:11 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation