FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on The Waltons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki on The Waltons
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Wow! The horrible mish-mash of cultures and time periods in these photos has my head spinning! The hair styles are clearly from the 70's, and is that lap-steel guy playing an electric guitar? The aloha shirts don't look to be from the 1940's either. I wonder if anybody watching this when it was first broadcast noticed how un-authentic it was.

Hilarious and fascinating at the same time!

But in the 70's, I guess time period authenticity did not seem to be a top priority in TV... like the early episodes of Happy Days looked fairly convincingly 1950's, but by the end of the series, everyone had feathered 70's hair!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: hottiki 2011-03-16 01:08 ]

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 4:54 pm   Permalink

Did they have those plastic lei's back in 1939?

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-15 5:31 pm   Permalink

Here's another screen grab that I have lightened... It shows detail of the smaller tiki on stage.

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 09:50 am   Permalink

I love how we can discuss how un-authentic the authenticness of something as un-authentic as Poly-Pop Tiki is...

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 1:59 pm   Permalink

Well put.
Is there a chance to get another angle on THAT Tiki?:

...in order to determine if it became the "Peewee's Playhouse" Tiki:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33308&forum=1

I wonder who had the luck to buy this puppy...what a steal for 150.- bucks.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-16 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-15 16:54, Tikigoob wrote:
Did they have those plastic lei's back in 1939?

That was my first thought

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-17 8:47 pm   Permalink

The lighting on the tiki in the corner isn't very good.
Here's another shot of it.
It does resemble the PeeWee's Playhouse tiki.
The mouths seem to be identical.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-17 9:57 pm   Permalink

Here's the YouTube links

#3 of 4, about halfway in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxAdhG0XEQE&NR=1

#4 of 4, about a third in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozif9ZoEdFc&NR=1

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-18 07:46 am   Permalink

My Tiki senses say "YES", this is the later Peewee Tiki. Good to know it was actually a vintage design.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hulaville
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-18 1:05 pm   Permalink

Just as a fun fact, the guy with the ukulele is most likely Mike Aki.
And if you all are really really curious about where this was filmed, I suggested asking Eric Scott who played Ben - he probably remembers.
escott@chasemessenger.com

View Profile of Hulaville Send a personal message to Hulaville  Goto the website of Hulaville     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 2:01 pm   Permalink

At the risk of dating myself, I remember watching this episode when it was originally aired. Ben moves to Norfolk, VA for work. I distinctly recall the scene in the joint because his date asks the waiter about booze in the drinks and is reassured that there is none. Although not yet old enough to desire a drink, the irony was not lost. How could anyone drink those sans booze?

It probably was a set. Of course, the show was suppose to take place in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, maybe 2 or 3 hours from here. It was filmed on Hollywood sound stages.

Love the comment on 70s feathered hair. I always thought the hair styles on M*A*S*H were a major goof.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 2:20 pm   Permalink

Mash, Happy Days, Lavern and Shirley etc, etc! Horrible disregard for period costumes. I guess no one cared.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 2:29 pm   Permalink

I enjoyed one episode of MASH where they were heading out on a trip in a Jeep & BJ says 'I brought the Fig Newtons!' & you could clearly see "Big Fig" on the supposed 50's era package!

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-20 06:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-19 14:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
I enjoyed one episode of MASH where they were heading out on a trip in a Jeep & BJ says 'I brought the Fig Newtons!' & you could clearly see "Big Fig" on the supposed 50's era package!

LOL! That is great! I always like spotting palm trees in shows that are supposed to take place where there are none i.e. Philly, DC, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: JackLord 2011-01-20 14:15 ]

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation