FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-18 10:48 am   Permalink

uncle trav, I’m indeed a rocket ranch veteran. I was fortunate to be part of the launch operations engineering team for the Space Shuttle Orbiter at Kennedy Space Center in the early days leading up to the inaugural launch of the Shuttle (Columbia) in April of 1981. For some time now, I’ve been working on the large unmanned expendable rockets at the Cape.

Decades ago I recall visiting the former winter home and laboratory of Thomas Edison in Ft. Myers. He planted a beautiful tropical garden that exists to this day. I can just imagine him sitting amongst the palm trees, ficus and bamboo in his garden at the end of the day while watching the sun sink low over the Gulf of Mexico and sipping his latest invention, the precursor of the Zombie… something he shared with a certain traveler adventurer named Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (later known as Donn Beach) before his passing in 1931. This didn’t really happen, I’m sure, though I’d like to think that one of the world’s most prolific inventors ever could have been a master mixologist.

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions, and please stay warm… it must be hard for a former Floridian to thrive in a Michigan winter; you must be hibernating in that basement tiki bar.

TikiHardBop: I’m astounded that you, McTiki and apparently a lot of other tiki tipsters are in my immediate neighborhood… we must have crossed paths at Hukilau 2010, but in my case without proper preparation in The Storm Shelter. I’ll be on the lookout for this year’s event.

Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-22 12:16 pm   Permalink

The Blowfish Bar is now home to a beautiful vintage style mini tiki hut from the exotic isle of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Mahalo, uncle trav!

Here’s the view from the Blowfish Bar, looking out over the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf Stream about 20 miles north of Daytona Beach...

Been busy filling up the overhead shelves behind the tiki bar; now if only I could find a local source for demerara rum (El Dorado) and St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram…

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 05:44 am   Permalink

The hut has a new home by the sea. Tiki huts are made to have an ocean view. Thanks for posting a photo of the hut in the beautiful Blowfish Bar. Good luck in your search for the good stuff.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-24 10:12 am   Permalink

If you're looking in the T-ville area, Florida Wine and Spirits, 1921 Knox McRae Drive in the Publix shopping plaza , should have everything you need and what they don't have they can get. I go to the location in Viera and have never been disappointed.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-24 1:21 pm   Permalink

TC is certainly a wonderful neighborhood, inhabited by talented, interesting and helpful folks. TikiHardBop, you pointed me to the gold in your tip on Florida Wine & Spirits. This establishment slipped in under my radar at the Titusville Publix shopping center on Knox-McRae Drive. While St Elizabeth Allspice Dram is not presently stocked at this location, they’ll have it here tomorrow afternoon from the Viera store. Also, they have in stock El Dorado 12-year and Special Reserve 15-year rums, among other good stuff. I’ve already reserved a stash for the Blowfish Bar. Mahalo, George!

Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-05 09:13 am   Permalink

Here's some layout and profile drawings I put together before starting tiki bar construction:

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-05 10:32 am   Permalink

Fabulous view...I always think cocktails taste better looking out at an ocean, bay, or lake. I'm sure the hut is enjoying its new home.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-19 1:16 pm   Permalink

It’s a fabulous beach day at the Blowfish Bar, with cloudless sky and balmy temperatures in the low 80s. The trade winds have again blown favorably, bringing another treasure from the exotic isle of Kalamazoo crafted by Uncle Trav, that gifted maker of wee vintage Polynesian huts. Though birthed in arctic climes, it now basks on a warm shelf amidst kindred keepsakes evoking dreams of enchanting locales.

A Japanese glass fishing float has recently joined the iconic puffer fish atop the bar shelf unit, and Bosko masks are en route via tramp steamer after rendezvous at a port near Escondido.

Thanks for looking, everyone… and greatly appreciate your impressions, VampiressRN.

As the day wanes at the Blowfish Bar, we’ll be making Zombies the easy way using Trader Tiki’s Don’s Mix and page 169 of the Bum’s Remixed. Here’s to good fortune among tiki tipsters everywhere!

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 04:48 am   Permalink

The home bar is looking great Tom. The huts look at home near the beach. Indeed the huts were born in an Arctic climate as this weekend we had a lovely ice storm complete with power outages. If I can mail myself down in a box can I sit up on the shelf until I thaw out I really like the plans for the bar that you made on the computer. Thanks for sharing the photos.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 10:08 pm   Permalink

I love the look of your bar, but after the weather here, I'm more envious of you view at the moment.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-24 11:47 am   Permalink

I suppose it was somewhat unfeeling to post balmy beach photos while some of you in the far northern reaches of the tiki realm are still enduring arctic conditions. I was merely trying to restore karmic climatic balance to Tiki Central after bigbrotiki posted that bleak winter’s eve photo in Hamburg (http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39222&forum=17&vpost=576917).

Trav, you and ErkNoLikeFire are welcome to thaw out at the Blowfish Bar anytime. I’ll get you started with a Flaming Coffee Grog (Bum’s Remixed, page 126).

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-27 05:16 am   Permalink

A serenely beautiful ocean sunrise this morning at the Blowfish Bar that no photo can adequately capture…

Uncle Trav’s hut #4 traversed the treacherous winter reaches of the Great Lakes to safely sail into this balmy port during the week…

Mahalo, Trav, for artfully recreating Polynesia in a size that fits the bar.

We’ve been accessorizing the bar and adjoining areas a bit with an eclectic array of Hawaiiana, tiki and primitive objects by Bosko, Shag, Derek Yaniger and others…

A serigraph from Wade Koniakowsky…

Then there’s that most important element of the tiki bar beyond atmosphere and good drink, affable company. Tango, our standard poodle, is always ready to fulfill that role…

Nothing like a mai tai in the morning…

Mahalo to everyone for looking.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 5:41 pm   Permalink

Tom you are a true patron of the arts. Your place is looking great. Looks like Tango enjoys it as well. A perfect location for the Blowfish Bar. A very relaxing and inviting spot for cocktails I would say.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 7:53 pm   Permalink

I love Flagler Beach, havent been there in ages. saw whale spout out there once.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-25 06:09 am   Permalink

Porpoise, totally agree with you about Flagler Beach. It’s really special, a beach town right out of the 1950s. It’s been referred to as the “Peter Pan” of Flagler County as it is the city that refuses to grow. The birth of nearby Palm Coast in the 1960s preserved the charm and funkiness of the place by attracting all the uncontrolled population growth, condos, gated communities, yacht clubs, hotels, big box stores and chain restaurants. Flagler Beach retained its mom-and-pop, one-of-a-kind motels and cafes. I spent my childhood and early teens here in the 1950s and 1960s, so I have first-hand memories of then and now.

On whale sighting, it’s a great location to observe highly endangered North Atlantic right whales, especially from the pier. They migrate to just offshore between December and March of each year for birthing and nursing their calves.

A Flagler Beach hometown girl, Frieda Zamba, was the four-time women’s pro surfing champion of the world during the 1980s. Believe she lives in the Satellite Beach area now.

Flagler Beach is on a coastal barrier island and was originally known as Ocean City Beach, but the US Postal Service requested its name be changed to avoid confusion with like-named places in New Jersey and Maryland, so in 1923 it was renamed in honor of Henry Flagler (the railroad magnate), a personal friend of the founder, George Moody.

In 1929, the town fathers established an emergency airfield with a flashing beacon several blocks west and extending to a block north of where the Blowfish Bar is now located. Two years later, one of the most famous aviators of all times, Charles Lindbergh, made an unexpected landing there...

Charles Lindbergh next to his Army biplane in Flagler Beach

The Evening Independent November 28, 1931

The Lewiston Daily Sun November 30, 1931

Lindbergh returned again for a longer stay in 1934. Amelia Earhart landed at this same field in 1936, as did Admiral Richard Byrd in 1932. The airfield was abandoned circa 1945, but you can still hike the marshy preserve that was the site of it over a boardwalk to the Intracoastal Waterway.

At the center of town for more than 80 years, the Flagler Beach Pier has been rebuilt many times after hurricanes shortened its nominal 1,000-foot length. Its current length is 806 feet. Since the 1960s, it has featured an A-frame entry, but no tikis.

There are some great seaside “tiki” bars and cafes here. One of my favorites is The Golden Lion, established by Tony Marlow, an expatriate Brit from London by way of St. Kitts... love the Thai fish tacos here, and the tropical cocktails are pretty good, too.

Another great place for fish tacos and fish burritos...

Flagler Beach is very much an escape to another place and time, in common with tiki culture. The public décor of the place is, however, principally a coastal nautical style, somewhat dominated by surf culture icons (boards, woodies, etc), with a sprinkling of Caribbean elements. There are a few tikis to be found, usually in a mixed setting, such as this one a block south of the Blowfish Bar...

The iconic Polynesian pop landmarks of the area, cited in Sven Kirsten’s Tiki Modern, are another 15 to 20 miles to the south along coastal Highway A1A in Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach.

But, if you like pirates, Flagler Beach has pirates...

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation