FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-24 2:44 pm   Permalink

Wow...love the pictures and descriptions of the reconstruct, Tom. You are lucky to have the skills to know what needs to happen and have links to skilled workers who follow your directions. Looking forward to your continued journey and, of course, your classy decorating style.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-24 6:04 pm   Permalink

Hi Tom, I love the photos. My mom was into building and she could design and do it all herself. At 4'10" she could carry an 80 pound sack of mortar. As a kid I loved tearing out sheet rock and knocking down walls. My sister has carried on the tradition. I like to play with clay.

Now the extra fun photos start and I'm ready to view them. Your friend, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 12:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Marlene and Wendy... thanks so much for stopping by. Pat and I just spent the entire weekend cleaning up drywall compound dust from everywhere. We had some help from a neighbor, but the stuff is pervasive. The entire inside of the beach house is a fallout zone.

Remodeling has progressed to the point that the Blowfish Bar is again open for business... anyone care for a dusty cocktail?

The new lua is fully functional; it’s a one-piece Toto with extra height in accordance with ADA standards

The floor is finished in half-inch thick travertine tiles. Travertine is a natural stone, normally more of a beige color. It is unusual to find this in a rose hue.

New high-tech steam shower from Aquapeutics

New fixtures installed for the vanity bay, still awaiting the cabinet completion

Towel closet with overhead CATV and power connections

Several general orientation photos...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Looks like somebody else has been busy with a remodel Tom!
time to move out of that shipping container

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 4:55 pm   Permalink

Holy krimeneeee, that steam shower looks pretty awesome. Thanks for the great pictures, the bathroom is going to be a wonderful addition. Are you going Tiki in there? Not tinkle...TIKI!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 01:33 am   Permalink

Wow, your sure are coming right along on the remodel, Tom. You know that steam shower glass paneling is just screaming to have tiki's sandblasted into them.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 06:45 am   Permalink

Hi Tom, love the photos. What is the view like from the bathroom when you open those slats? My cousin had a bathroom like that in her new home. She was sitting watching the street when she realized that everyone could see her as well as she could see them. Horrors! Wendy

PS looks terrific

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-07-04 06:46 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 06:16 am   Permalink

ATP, it does feel good to get out of that shipping container, though it remains until I can restore the garage to habitation. Beyond hiding ductwork and piping, I’m taking this opportunity to scrape popcorn ceilings there and construct some storage cabinets.

Marlene, there will be elements of both Tiki and Hawaiiana in the new room. Yes, Lucas, there are some of us who love both. The first elements are these Kim Taylor Reese art photos I picked up in Honolulu about a decade ago, several of them signed...

Jesse, I’m still evaluating what to do with the steam shower, décor wise. Maybe a mural...

Wendy, yes indeed, the windows look across Central Avenue toward the Intracoastal Waterway that bounds our barrier island on the west. The portion that runs behind me is part of an 18-mile manmade stretch that connects the Matanzas River on the north with the Halifax River on the south. It was created in 1890, and, during the 1920s, five steam-powered paddle boats and one oil-fired vessel made weekly trips along this stretch of the waterway between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach. Here’s a view looking out from the bathroom through still dirty windows...

Things have progressed far enough to allow me to reconstitute my study...

My favorite Sophista-Tiki print, The Lost Village, resumed its place...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-08 10:22 am   Permalink

Hi Tom thank you for allowing me to see the view. Looks like a jungle across the street. I really like your Sophista-Tiki print and the bathroom art. I'll look forward to the next photos, Wendy

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-08 12:55 pm   Permalink

Tom the reason I mentioned sandblasting the glass is I briefly worked at a local sandblasting place: http://moonshadowglass.com/index.php and they do have a few stock polynesian themed designs like banana leafs, but you can also work with them to do custom designs for both commercial and residential projects. As I understand it they are one of the few handful of US facilities that still do a lot of the custom glass arts, and they had just got a huge oven to heat set color graphics into glass when I left.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-29 07:35 am   Permalink

Jesse, mahalo for your suggestion. Whatever I do will be limited to what can be done with the steam shower in place, as it was mighty challenging to assemble.

The project is now complete except for cleaning and decorating. On Friday, the city building official conducted his final inspection and was quite satisfied, so the building permit was successfully closed out.

Here are a couple of photos with the new vanity and cabinets installed. The vanity top is “Black Galaxy,” a solid black granite with shiny copper flakes, imported from India. Sinks are square black under mounts, with Delta Linden series faucets in Venetian bronze. The cabinet finish is a Wilsonart laminate, “Milano Mahogany.”

I framed a vintage Aloha Airlines map and placed it on the side of the towel closet...

We’re looking forward to a visit by TikiHardBop (George) and TornadoTiki (Chris) at the Blowfish Bar next Saturday afternoon, after Chris shares her storm chasing experiences at the public library in nearby Palm Coast...

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-29 08:06 am   Permalink

Beautiful remodel. I love all your choices and decorations. I hope you have more projects in the future I don't want this to end. Wendy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-29 09:04 am   Permalink

I agree with Wendy...just great watching your progression. The counter top, sinks and cabinetry is very elegant. Great addition to your home.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 7:59 pm   Permalink

Lookin good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 8:30 pm   Permalink

The black granite with copper flake cabinets are beautiful! Very elegent modern swank.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation