FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Blowfish Bar Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar Flagler Beach, FL
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-23 07:41 am   Permalink

What a wonderful presentation of history and tiki. I love the puffer next to your sign. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-23 08:43 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting the pics Tom! Glad you like the mug. That clock is awesome too...great idea!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-13 09:41 am   Permalink

Where are you? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-13 2:56 pm   Permalink

Aloha Jon, Robert and Wendy!

Wow, it's been a busy new year... we're launching rockets one after another, and I've been working on my Hukilau presentation about the Yankee Clipper Hotel. On my birthday in January, we attended a really fun Tiki party at the gorgeous home of Phillip and Ann Haire in Satellite Beach, where drinks were served by master mixologist, George Jenkins, and live entertainment was by "The Blastoffs," a band with a name perfectly befitting the Space Coast.

I took a little break last weekend and visited our friends at Ohana Luau in the Hawaiian Inn at Daytona Beach, Florida. Here's a photo of beautiful Wailana, leader of the Hawaiian Inn performing troupe, "Silhouettes of Polynesia"...

Weekend after next, I'm journeying back to Fort Lauderdale and the Mai-Kai... call it a research expedition, but it's really fun more than research. Traveling with me will be one of the former Yankee Clipper Polynesian Room performers who also worked at the Mai-Kai, as well as many other temples of mid-century faux Polynesia in Florida and elsewhere. More to come...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HereTikiTiki

Posted: 2013-02-14 01:34 am   Permalink

Love how the palm tree mural overhangs the doorway. Everything looks so nice. Fun too!

Inspiration is starting to take root.

View Profile of HereTikiTiki Send a personal message to HereTikiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-15 02:24 am   Permalink

I just looked back a page. Where is that wall mural located? It's wonderful.
You are having an exciting life and more tiki adventures than one could dream of.
It's good to hear from you, Wendy

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-16 06:28 am   Permalink

Mahalo, HereTikiTiki, for visiting. Flattered to serve as inspiration... time for you to make your own special island.

Wendy, that mural is located on the great room west wall over the stairway. The bar is to the immediate left (south) if you're looking at the mural. On the east side opposite the mural are two sets of sliding glass doors overlooking the open air deck and Atlantic Ocean.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-18 09:15 am   Permalink

Wow, I wish there were in progress photos as it was done. Beautiful. Wendy

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-18 09:54 am   Permalink

Wendy, you can see the progress photos on the mural, starting with the concept sketch on page 3 of this thread, and continuing intermittently with photos (in many instances, early iPhone quality) on pages 4 through 6.

Aloha,

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-05 9:37 pm   Permalink

Hi Tom, I went back and saw all the photos. I must have missed some pages in the past. It's terrific that he got your son in the mural. What a beautiful work of art. Wendy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-06 8:53 pm   Permalink

Your place still continues to amaze me...it looks so authentic and that mural is fabulous. Keep up the great work, you have a showcase there.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-31 05:54 am   Permalink

Marlene, mahalo for your visit and kind remarks.

The Blowfish Bar had distinguished visitors on a recent weekend. Barney Lee and his significant other, Wailana, drove up from Palm Bay, Florida, where they live, to Flagler Beach. Barney, known by his stage name as Faalia or Prince Faalia, was a fire knife dancer who came from the Hotel Lexington Hawaiian Room in New York City to Fort Lauderdale, where he performed in the Yankee Clipper Polynesian Room, then at the Mai-Kai. He later organized, produced and starred in the Polynesian show at Tahiti Village in Key Largo, Florida. Wailana had her own Polynesian production company that played club dates all over Florida and beyond.

Lee, as he prefers to be called in retirement, brought a special house gift: a Tiki he personally carved from a Palm log...

It now guards the doorway in the master bedroom...

Lee and Wailana are both warm and kind, grand individuals of the mid-century Tiki era.

-Tom

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-31 3:39 pm   Permalink

Awesome
Friends and Tiki
Great combo

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-03 2:20 pm   Permalink

Nice addition Tom!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-07 06:44 am   Permalink

Aloha, Jon and Robert! Welcome back to the Blowfish Bar! Jon, couldn't agree with you more.

Here's a peek back in time at a very young Barney Lee (Prince Faalia) when he was performing as a fire knife dancer at the Hotel Lexington's Hawaiian Room in New York City...

Prince Faalia was so talented that he made two appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show... there's a funny anecdote about that that I'll share at Hukilau.

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation