FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-29 2:49 pm   Permalink

Mahalo, Marlene & LoriLovesTiki. That was one fun party… great guests and entertainment, along with fine cocktails and outstanding food.

Wendy, I wish we knew who carved the Julian’s Tikis…

The latest art edition to the Blowfish Bar is this limited edition print by Miles Thompson, the “Wahine Trio,” rich in Tiki iconography…

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 5:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, this is nice. Miles is one of my favorite artists on TC. Your place looks great.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 1:11 pm   Permalink

Tom your place and parties look awesome!
I'm so happy to have my lights in such a great environment
surrounded by such great artists.
Thanks again!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-

¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 4:01 pm   Permalink

Hiltiki, thank you… Miles is a terrific artist.

Skip, your lights are themselves works of art… we are grateful to have them spicing up the décor of our home and bar. Pat and I wish you and your family, as well as the rest of the TC Ohana, a very Happy New Year!!!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 10:10 pm   Permalink

I love this place

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-31 11:32 am   Permalink

That's adorable. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-09 11:14 am   Permalink

Newest addition to the Blowfish Bar: Uncle Trav's Trader's Hut miniature, flanked by Skipper Kent's Moai salt and pepper shakers... Amazing detail, Trav!

-Tom

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-10 10:47 pm   Permalink

That's awesome...............

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-12 6:19 pm   Permalink

That is a beautiful piece by Miles! Looks great on your wall Tom!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-27 09:12 am   Permalink

Been a while since I've visited here... appreciate the feedback, Jon and Robert!

The newest addition at the Blowfish Bar is the awesome Mai-Kai Mug of Tiki Diablo (Danny Gallardo)...

Last weekend, the Blowfish Bar happily hosted some of our Space Coast friends, Phillip and Ann Haire, along with their daughter, Maile...

-Tom

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-30 04:14 am   Permalink

Aloha TikiTomD

Five things: One, is that Nani Maka Maloney, at your Christmas party, the same as the actress Nani Maka in the now cult tiki movie classic Pagan Island?

from a Florida tourist weekly you provided on another thread

frame from Pagan Island

Two, what happened to the gorgeous mural from Julian’s Dining Room, is it still there? Love your homage to it in the Blowfish Bar.

Three, love also that little hut. Tell me it's background. Is it a remodel of the model from page 2 of this thread.

Four, here are three Miguel Covarrubias works from the web that I like. I know you were researching him. You have great art in the Blowfish that I would love to also own but my favorite is late 20s to early 40s Art Deco works from or about Polynesia. Miguel is from that period and here are three examples of his work that would fit in any tiki bar.

Finally five, This art in the Blowfish is, at some distance, my view from my roof. Need to build a second floor! At one end of Kaneohe Bay is Chinaman's Hat, the little island you see in this print, but the proper name for it is Mokoli'i which in Hawaiian legend is the piece of the dragon's tail that the goddess and younger sister of Pele, Hi'iaka killed. At the other end of Kaneohe bay is Coconut Island (Moku o Lo'e), the original Gilligan's Island.

We, on TC, are all connected by some degree.

Matt

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 04:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 04:21 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-30 12:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Matt!

1) Yes, Nani Maka Maloney is one and the same as Princess Nani Maka starring in the movie, Pagan Island. Nani, along with Puanani "Greta" Kanemura (later to be Mrs. Bob Van Dorpe), was the original Mai-Kai Mystery Girl. The movie itself was filmed in Miami, with the underwater scenes filmed at the Miami Seaquarium. Bunny Yeager, famous pin-up model and photographer, selected the cast. Nani was one of Bunny Yeager's models.

2) I believe the mural remains at Julian's, but the property is still for sale, despite a newspaper article some time ago indicating a buyer who planned to rename it and keep it as a restaurant. The mural is definitely in jeopardy. Last weekend I drove by Julian's, and the for-sale sign now sports a "Reduced" price sign (no price stated)

3) The little hut is one of several I was fortunate enough to acquire from Tiki Central's master miniature hut maker, uncle trav... here is a Tiki Central
link to his creations.

4) Love the works of Miguel Covarrubias, particularly the examples you cited... I don't personally have any of his original art.

5) Awesome that you have such a view! We acquired that painting decades ago from the artist in Waikiki along the Honolulu Zoo fence.

Totally agree, we on this forum are all connected to some degree, and that is a good thing... I have learned much here, contributed a few things, and found new friends and interests through Tiki Central.

Mahalo, Matt, for your visit. Please come back

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-30 1:25 pm   Permalink

I hadn't looked at the bar section in awhile so I stopped by and Wow, when I saw your posts I was so very happy. The art is fabulous and the history so wonderful to read. Thank you TikiTomD for a fun ride. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-30 3:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tom for your quick and helpful replies.

Your, got a lot in common, fellow tiki guy, Matt

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-07-30 15:27 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-30 5:22 pm   Permalink

Wendy, so nice to hear from you! As you can probably see from the photos, your Zombie Village torch mug and Fu-Bob mug are front and center on mug shelves at the Blowfish Bar... and it was great to see your work featured in Sven's magnificent new book, Tiki Pop! Congratulations! Best wishes to you and Dan.

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation