FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 05:19 am   Permalink

Looks to be fun times and the mural over the local bar is magic.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 06:42 am   Permalink

Great to meet you guys and glas the Girl got home safe! Maybe we'll get down for a visit next year.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-23 08:49 am   Permalink

Chris (TornadoTiki), thanks so much for posting your photos. Hope you and George (TikiHardBop) are having spirited times this weekend in New Orleans at "Tales of the Cocktail." I'm looking forward to our next soiree at the Blowfish Bar, beach included at no extra charge.

I see that Christina (metikigal) posted her reflections of the visit and some photos in her blog under "Micro Road Trip" at...

http://themetikigal.blogspot.com/

teaKEY, appreciate your visit here. Julian's mural is indeed magic and must be seen in person to fully appreciate. If you're ever in the Central Florida vicinity, let me know...

Tim (Swanky), we adore that Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl girl; you can see that she's in her own little alcove. Love to have you visit the Blowfish Bar anytime... maybe you can help me deplete my stock of St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram by way of Jasper's Jamaicans.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-23 12:09 pm   Permalink

As a follow-up to bigbrotiki’s observations (http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38880&forum=20&vpost=595048) on the Flagler Beach Pier A-frame structure, I dug a bit into its history. The original pier and pier building were constructed in 1927 and dedicated on July 4, 1928. Here are some postcard scans and photos of the old pier from http://www.flaglerbeachpier.net/ and http://www.cityofflaglerbeach.com/...

The original pier was intended to be huge, according to a 1957 newspaper article, excerpted here…

Daytona Beach Morning Journal April 21, 1957

The deteriorating condition of the old pier building drove the town commission to plan and construct a new building in 1962...

The Flagler Tribune March 22, 1962

The article below reveals that the town commission wanted a more contemporary look to the pier, so they chose an A-frame structure like that of a now defunct restaurant named Beyond the Reef down the coast a few miles in Ormond Beach...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal November 4, 1962

I haven’t been able to find any photos or information about the décor and structure of Beyond the Reef Restaurant, formerly located at 1130 Ocean Shore Blvd, Ormond Beach. With a name like that for an early 1960s era restaurant, it’s entirely possible that the pier A-frame was inspired by Poly pop...

Maybe someone on TC has a postcard, matchbook cover or menu for Beyond the Reef Restaurant (but not the Wisconsin establishment of the same name)? It’s interesting that the former owner of the Ormond Beach restaurant, Charles Gittner, came to Florida in 1955 from Wisconsin, according to his 1980 obituary.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-30 08:29 am   Permalink

David Hettel, a local Ormond Beach artist and surfer, has accepted a commission to create a Polynesian mural at the Blowfish Bar. Dave has been busy lately at nearby Palm Coast, but found a gap in his schedule to begin applying the paint base (completed mural will extend down to just below stairway handrail)...

How long this takes will undoubtedly depend on the local surf conditions, and things don’t look favorable for the Blowfish Bar... a storm is brewing right now out in the Atlantic and forecast to possibly be a hurricane just offshore by this time next week. That means great surf conditions, and probably an AWOL artist. Dave’s business name is Primal Colors and here’s his web site...

http://www.primalcolors.com/index.html

There are several new additions to the Blowfish Bar. The first of a pair of awesome Cannibal Trio Lamps by Tiki 65 (Chris) arrived...

Chris shows the various stages of lamp assembly at his web site...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki65

Lush (pardon the pun, Marty) music is now playing at the Blowfish Bar since the arrival of The Tikiyaki Orchestra’s Deluxe Getaway Package... Jim Bacchi and fellow orchestra members have set a new high mark for contemporary tiki music with “Aloha, Baby!”

Included in the Tikiyaki Polynesian Village Hotel Deluxe Getaway Package was an “Official Souvenir Shop Certified Genuine Polynesian Style Hand Crafted Tiki Mug from Hawai’i” by Bosko...

The small print on the mug box stated the qualifier “may or may not be made in Hawai’i.”

Marty Lush & Jim Bacchi at Hukilau 2011

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-03 12:53 pm   Permalink

Dave's making progress on the wall mural (iPhone photo)...

-Tom

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-04 04:00 am   Permalink

That mural is going to blow this home bar up! Great work!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-04 1:33 pm   Permalink

particularly wanted to say those palm tree lamps are showstoppers! NIICE place

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-04 2:36 pm   Permalink

McTiki and Holler Waller, thank you for the appreciative comments.

I expect that with an ocean view to the East and a Polynesian mural to the West, it will take very little rocket fuel to achieve escape velocity from the Blowfish Bar.

Here's several more photos of the mural in progress as of today...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-06 10:59 am   Permalink

Dave's been adding definition to the foreground palms of the mural...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 3:49 pm   Permalink

Today's incremental mural progress (pardon the iPhone camera resolution)...

-Tom

metikigal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-09 12:03 pm   Permalink

Mural looks great. You will have to have another party once completed so we can see in person. I loved visiting Flager Beach - such a cool little beach town.

You are a decorating genius!!!

View Profile of metikigal Send a personal message to metikigal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 6:01 pm   Permalink

Christina, we'll reprise that party soon so you can see the results first hand and try out something a bit different at the Blowfish Bar. Flagler Beach calls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bNqECDU84

Starting to take shape in the mural are some new images...

-Tom

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 7:22 pm   Permalink

Wowza...that mural is looking great...can't wait to see it when it is finished.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 01:23 am   Permalink

Wow Tom this is really looking great. I loved it when the palm fronds when up on the second tree. And thanks for the YT link, I love that one also..

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation