FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 3:41 pm   Permalink

Tikipaka, pleased that you're enjoying the developing mural. Here's today's progress photo...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-11 04:23 am   Permalink

That mural is AWESOME! I wish my painter buddy would not have chickened out to do mine. That looks a million times better than the photo mural I put up.

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-11 07:33 am   Permalink

You know I gotta tell you, most times I don't like murals
as most are not done well.
This one looks GREAT!
Nice job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-11 4:54 pm   Permalink

Thank you, newB24 and John (tikiskip), for sharing your impressions.

newB24, I have used photo murals to great effect in the past to add an exotic ambiance and to expand the dimensions of a room. I've looked at your home bar and I like what you're doing with it. Keep it up. The fun is in never finishing...

Needless to say, I am very happy with the work of Dave Hettel, artist and surf dude, on this mural. Here's the latest progress photo...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-12 7:41 pm   Permalink

A few more days and the mural should be completed...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-14 05:34 am   Permalink

The second of a pair of awesome Cannibal Trio Lamps by Tiki 65 (Chris) arrived and took its place flanking the TV in the entertainment center next to the Blowfish Bar...

The presiding Blowfish lit with approval...

Dave is adding an incredible amount of detail to the mural; zooming in on one portion to illustrate...

-Tom

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 06:33 am   Permalink

I'd never leave . . .

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-16 1:01 pm   Permalink

Blue Kahuna, agree it's tough to leave... but thanks for the virtual visit, even if only a while!

In the mural background, Dave’s added a couple of musicians and a surfer with alaia, or ancient Hawaiian surfboard (that’s the shortboard; you should see an olo, or longboard!)...

One can almost hear an ancient surf chant...

Ku mai! Ku mai! Ka nalu nui mai Kahiki mai,
(Arise! Arise! You great surfs from Kahiki,)

Alo po`i pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue,
(The powerful curling waves! Arise with pohuehue,)

Hu! Kai ko`o loa.
(Well up, long raging surf.)

-Tom

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 6:41 pm   Permalink

Wow! That mural is really beginning to POP! with snazz now!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-17 3:22 pm   Permalink

Glad you're liking the mural, tigertail777.

Progress today was focused at the outrigger canoe, or wa`a in Hawaiian...

In the Hawai`i of old, when a canoe was finished, a pig would be cooked and the gods of the canoe makers would be petitioned in a ceremony...

O Mokuhali`i, Kupa`aike`e, Lea,
Here is pork,
A payment, a gift, an offering,
A sacrifice to you.
The canoe is finished,
Ready to be launched into the sea,
Its home where it will seek profit and wealth;
Watch over it carefully
Be alert for coral heads and stone heads of the reefs,
For the waves and the swells of the open ocean.
Guide the canoe over the depths of the sea,
Let the canoe ride over the waves of the sea,
Till it is worn out, overgrown with limu, and aged.

(E Mokuhali`i, Kupa`aike`e, Lea, eia ka pua`a, he uku, he makana, he `alana, he mohai ia `oukou. Ua pa`a ka wa`a, a e ho`olanaia aku ana i ke kai, o kona. `aina ia e huli ai i ka loa`a ame ka waiwai.
E nana pono loa `oukou, e maka`ala i na puko`a, na pu`upohaku o kahi laupapa, na nalu, na `ale o ka moana. Ho`oholo no `oukou i ka wa`a ma kahi hohonu o ke kai; i hele ai ka wa`a a nalukai, a `apulu, a ulu ka limu pakaiea, a kaniko`oko`o.)

(from
http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/hawaiian/voyaging/pvs/L2canoebuild.html)

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-18 11:35 am   Permalink

The mural is complete save for the addition of a tapa border pattern along the bottom below the great room handrail level, as well as a flat protective clear coat which will also serve to level the paint sheen. Dave Hettel has done an awesome job and was really great to work with.

-Tom

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-18 12:01 pm   Permalink

Hey ya need a pic of Dave Hettel next to his work.
Nice job Dave!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-18 2:33 pm   Permalink

Aloha, John (tikiskip)... you're right, of course, so here's Dave Hettel, Ormond Beach artist and surfer, next to his art...

And here's the tapa border along the bottom of the mural (not visible above the handrail)...

-Tom

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-18 6:42 pm   Permalink

Fabulous job Dave!, and congratulations on that glorious addition to the Blowfish Bar TikiTomD.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-18 7:46 pm   Permalink

Incredible job! Love it! I have never seen anyone use a brown wash technique as an under layer on a mural before, it really works well to bring the warmth of the reds forwards. I may have to try that some time. Kudos Dave! (nice tapa border too!)

So where does the Blowfish bar go from here?

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation