FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TornadoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-12 10:02 am   Permalink

Fun logo, and the mural looks gorgeous! I'm looking forward to my next mai tai there!

View Profile of TornadoTiki Send a personal message to TornadoTiki  Goto the website of TornadoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 06:46 am   Permalink

Awesome bar FL Brother!

The mural is a choice bump to the decor.

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-16 05:50 am   Permalink

Mahalos to newB24, tigertail777, TornadoTiki and McTiki for visiting and posting feedback.

I’m looking forward to hosting another soirée at the Blowfish Bar, targeting sometime between the middle and end of October. Chris (TornadoTiki) and Christina (metikigal), I hope that is compatible with your calendars. Maybe McTiki would like to motor up and join us. The weather should still be on the warm side, so the beach ought to be enjoyable. In the meantime, I’ve got some rocket business to deal with, as well as acclimation of a new member of the family pack.

In August, Calista, our 15-year old standard poodle, succumbed to a stroke. Her brother, Tango, is 8 years old and exhibited signs of stress in her absence. So we contacted Coastal Poodle Rescue, hoping to find a mature standard poodle female in need of a home. With rescue, you need to be flexible in your parameters. As luck would have it, we got a call within a week with a good match except for the mature part... a 5-month old standard poodle female considered as a “special needs” case because she is an albino. Fortunately, her sight and hearing are intact. Two weeks ago we welcomed Kalani (Hawaiian for “heavenly”) into our home where she has been a mighty cute and lively little pest. She loves the ocean, like Tango, but we have to limit her sun exposure. She is pure energy in motion, approximating an F0 tornado on the Fujita scale as she whirls through the beach house chasing Tango...

Getting back to the upcoming Blowfish Bar soirée, along with Mai Tais, perhaps we can pick a cocktail to try from among the Moon Islander’s recipes in this TC thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=26860&forum=1&start=15&hilite=moon islander drink recipes

Any suggestions on which one?

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 10:59 am   Permalink

Right now, the only official thing on our schedule is our big Halloween party on the 29th. I would like to have a shake-down/bar christening for the new Storm Shelter bar some time before that date. It's either going to be next weekend or one of the first two weekends in October. We will have to see how much trouble the bar top gives TikiMike before I can start realistically planning a date. We keep getting great tiki art in the mail for the bar. It's going to be pretty awesome when it gets done!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-16 12:38 pm   Permalink

George, sounds like you've got quite an interesting remodeling effort underway at the Storm Shelter. Care to share some of that with the rest of us? I'll bet you could apply some spousal charm and persuade TornadoTiki to photo document the progress, since she's an awesome professional photographer. Maybe then you could post a Storm Shelter thread here in this forum.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

We're keeping the wraps on things right now. We want to spring on people as much as we can. Trust me, there will all kinds of pics of the bar on the web soon enough. I'm taking pictures when I can. TornadoTiki is busy using her cameras on paying gigs right now.

And a P.S. TornadoTiki won Best Documentary at the recent Melbourne Independent Filmmaker's Festival in Melbourne!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-25 11:00 am   Permalink

A Blowfish Bar toast is due in honor of TornadoTiki for her big win at the recent Melbourne Independent Filmmaker's Festival for Best Documentary (see Chris Kridler's blog at http://www.chriskridler.com/2011/09/chasing-reality-in-melbourne-film-fest-this-weekend/)!

Keylo Lewis transferred the new Blowfish Bar logo he created to a wood sign for the front door entryway. Here is the rough-out...

And here it is nearly finished, with clear-coat weatherproofing to go...

At the Blowfish Bar last night, we tried out the Islander Special cocktail recipe from the long extinct Moon Islander (see http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26860&forum=1&vpost=487552)...

We used freshly squeezed lemon juice, Publix Old Fashioned Premium Orange Juice in a carton, Dole Pineapple Juice in a carton, Trader Vic’s Orgeat Syrup, Kamora Coffee Liqueur (a leftover we had, imported from Mexico) and Myers’s Original Dark Rum, instead of the light rum called out by recipe. We like that smokey flavor of Myers's.

It was pretty good, but too sweet for our tastes, so we dropped the Orgeat Syrup and minimized the ice for another round, yielding a unique cocktail that was a perfect sundowner. It was indeed another day in Paradise.

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-01 2:36 pm   Permalink

The Blowfish Bar is celebrating the arrival of two new paintings by El Gato Gomez, created using gouache, acrylic, and colored pencil on poplar wood panels. I am a big fan of this artist’s retro style, especially her futuristic (1950’s sci-fi) creations (see http://www.elgatogomezarts.com/).

Here they are, framing the great room sliding glass door next to the bar...

------------

I spent some time at the Flagler Beach Historical Museum this morning pursuing the origins of the Flagler Beach Pier A-frame structure. I found out that Bernie Wilson, the late husband of the Museum’s current President, Catherine Wilson, actually constructed the A-frame, completing it in 1963. Ms Wilson could not recall any details, and the Museum file on the Pier didn’t address my question. So, I’m still left with an elusive tie-in to an extinct Polynesian restaurant, Beyond the Reef, that was located a few miles south along Hwy A1A in Ormond Beach during the early 1960s...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal November 4, 1962

My next stop will be at the Ormond Beach Historical Society to see if they have images or information regarding the Beyond the Reef Restaurant. All I have to go on is the obituary of the former restaurant owner...

Daytona Beach Morning Journal February 17, 1980

------------

While still in the Flagler Beach Historical Museum, I had an opportunity to look over its latest gift, the skeletal remains of a 1940’s era Tom Blake hollow surfboard, quite a treasure...

Here are several web sites that provide the historical context...

http://www.surfmuseum.org/html/tom_blake.html

http://www.woodsurfboards.com/blake.htm

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000315.html

------------

With bright sunny skies, low humidity (very rare) and moderate temperatures in the upper 70s, it was too perfect a day to stay immersed in museum dust, so we headed to Hurricane Patty’s for a cocktail and lunch on the Intracoastal Waterway...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-16 10:23 am   Permalink

Finally got around to hanging the retro Blowfish Bar sign that Keylo Lewis of HakaTiki created; here it is above the beach house main entry door...

And, per a suggestion from Tigertail777, I sent Keylo’s logo design to Perfect Imprints (
http://perfectimprints.com/) of Shalimar, Florida, where Jean-Paul Tamayo transferred the artwork to a custom layout for matchbooks and drink coasters, undoubtedly manufactured elsewhere...

The coasters are Vynex textured polymer on a heavy duty rubber base, with a total thickness of 1.5 mm (1/16 in).

As an aside, Shalimar is a small town located in the Panhandle of Florida near to Fort Walton Beach and Destin. In June of 1950, its brand-new 280-car capacity Florida Drive-In Theatre opened with the 1948 Esther Williams picture, "On an Island with You"...

Here’s the movie trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3ohJWd0oU&NR=1 where Esther initially walks out of a lake in a scene shot at Cypress Gardens, Florida (now defunct but just reopened yesterday as Legoland Florida).

The Florida Drive-In Theatre closed in the fall of 1973.

-Tom

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 12:00 am   Permalink

Oh those matchbooks and coasters turned out awesome! It was an offhand suggestion I never really thought you would actually do it, but I am glad you did. Big fan of matchbooks: been collecting them for a few years now, and find them a never ending source of design inspiration. I was actually quite surprised how widespread of a hobby it is, and particularly the role they play on this site in the documentation of defunct Tiki temples.

Love the placement of the sign too, goes great with the aqua color paint. And those new art pieces are very cool looking I really like how vertical the boards are and how the artist incorporated that into the work.

So now what is left for the Blowfish? Custom stir sticks? A Blowfish drink? I am still dying to see photos of people partying in your beautiful bar.

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2011-10-18 00:03 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-18 09:55 am   Permalink

Check out page 3 of this thread. Pictures prove I was there, although the Mai Tais have prevented me from remembering most of it!!!

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 3:28 pm   Permalink

Yes, I saw those and forgot about them. Looks like you were having one swell time there Tikihardbop!
I think it's time for more pictures of party goers with all the new additions is kinda what I meant to say. So get on over there Tikihardbop and get sloshed with the mural and use those new coasters!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-20 10:27 am   Permalink

Just waiting on an invite. I'll be seeing TikiTom next weekend I hope, at The Storm Shelter and I'm sure that will be one of the topics of conversation, right behind what exactly is "tiki music".

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-21 03:34 am   Permalink

I was thinking that the question is a no brainer.....Jimmy Buffet = Tiki music...

*Runs*

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-21 09:49 am   Permalink

Ah, McTiki, you uttered the name of the Dark Lord of Margaritaville here. Lucas and emspace may already be ordering up a drone strike on the Blowfish Bar.

At the Blowfish Bar, we actually prefer classical Exotica (e.g., Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman) and Hapa Haole (e.g., Alfred Apaka and Hawaii Calls), although we are also partial to the Tikiyaki Orchestra, Lisa Ono (especially her Bossa Hula Nova album), Stolen Idols (have a few digital recordings from a demo CD) and several other contemporary bands. TikiHardBop can attest, if he remembers anything through the Mai Tai haze, that we were playing Swanky’s Vinyl Exotica I and Vinyl Exotica II when he arrived at the Blowfish Bar back in September. Heck, should Lucas deem us worthy of a CDR, we’ll loop the Smokin Menehunes at our upcoming soirée, as I like what I’ve heard on the Myspace site, but can’t seem to buy or download anything. TikiHardBop, we’ll see you at the Storm Shelter next weekend and make some plans.

Sure hope those Hellfire missiles harmlessly detonate over the ocean, perhaps diverted a bit southward by the sounds coming from High Tides @ Snack Jack (
http://www.snackjacks.com/), a Surf bar. I’d hate to see them take a hit, however, as their fish tacos are excellent!

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation