FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The perils of passion fruit
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-16 10:51 am   Permalink

I set out on what I figured was a simple task: purchase a bottle of passion fruit syrup in the Boulder, Colorado area. Initially my goal was to find some that had natural flavors and no HFCS. Eventually my goal became to find someone who even knew what passion fruit was. I tried liquor stores, specialty stores, pharmacies (Torani's website said Pharmaca carried it--Pharmaca didn't even know what Torani's was).

I know I can buy it online, but I wanted a local source. I mix drinks very infrequently (maybe one or two drinks a week), and spending $20 for a bottle of syrup on the Internet knowing most of it would likely go bad before I could finish it was something I wanted to avoid. Luckily, we have a large Asian market nearby, and they carried "Passion Juice," a passion fruit syrup made out of nothing but passion fruit juice and sugar. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I don't have anything to compare it to anyway.

I though about buying from TraderTiki, as the syrups that I've tried from them are wonderful, but cost combined with shelf life took them out of the running for me.

I'm tempted to open a specialty store in Boulder that caters to liquor snobs. God knows we're in the area for it, and we apparently need one.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2011-01-16 10:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2011-01-16 10:54 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-16 11:04 am   Permalink

Tacky, I found frozen passion fruit puree at my local Hispanic grocery. I boiled it with sugar water and strained it through a coffee filter to clear it up a bit. Turned out pretty good - inexpensive and you get to control the ingredients

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-01-16 1:24 pm   Permalink

Welch's makes some passion fruit juice that you can find at the store, if you don't mind using a commercially made juice.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 5:34 pm   Permalink

How 'bout order a bottle through a coffee shop. Find one that uses Monin syrups.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-17 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-16 11:04, MadDogMike wrote:
Tacky, I found frozen passion fruit puree at my local Hispanic grocery. I boiled it with sugar water and strained it through a coffee filter to clear it up a bit. Turned out pretty good - inexpensive and you get to control the ingredients

+1 Don't know how many Mexican stores are located in Boulder, but the brand Goya carries a frozen passion fruit that is really good. I mix 1:1 with sugar and toss in a jigger of vodka for a preservative. Tastes great and lasts a long time. I haven't found anything better.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-17 12:53 pm   Permalink

I believe Goa was the brand I used also (a bit off topic, but I bought a couple bottles last week of Goya Coconut Soda - interesting )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-04-28 2:41 pm   Permalink

Whelp, I'm firing this thread back up because my source for real passion fruit syrup locally has stopped carrying it. I know I can buy the real stuff online, but it ends up going bad before I can finish it, and when I add shipping costs it gets expensive in a hurry.

I've called every local store I can think of and no one carries the juice, nectar, fruit, or anything else. Looks like it may be Monin syrup for me. Is the new stuff really that bad?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-04-28 14:41 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-28 3:12 pm   Permalink

Do you have asian grocery stores in town? I'm using this stuff,

all I can read on label is Passion Juice, on the back it says ingredients are Passion fruit juice and sugar, dilute 6 parts H2O to one part juice. I'd like someone else's thoughts on this stuff.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-04-28 3:43 pm   Permalink

That looks similar to what I bought before, but no one around here carries it anymore. I'm starting to wonder whether there's still such a thing as the wild passion fruit.

poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-28 5:34 pm   Permalink

I use frozen passion fruit puree (Sicoly). It holds for a long time in the freezer. I just cut a chunk off when I need to make a batch of syrup. It's available online from Qzina for ~$11.00/kg (which makes a LOT of syrup). They do free shipping on orders over $100. I'm not sure how much it is for smaller orders.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 6:33 pm   Permalink

I've had great success using the Goya purée. I make sure it's a little warm then filter it through cheese cloth into a pot. The process is a little messy and takes time since the sediment will try to clog things up a bit. Keep stirring it around to keep it draining. Then add the sugar to make a syrup. As mentioned earlier in the thread.. add an ounce of vodka to keep it stable. I would freeze some of it unless your going to really fly through some 1950 Zombies.

Enjoy!

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ebb Tide
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-28 6:43 pm   Permalink

Some East Indian / Asian markets carry MD Passion Fruit Cordial which is pretty good.

View Profile of Ebb Tide Send a personal message to Ebb Tide  Email Ebb Tide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 09:57 am   Permalink

Here in Florida, you can find the passionfruit puree at almost all grocery stores. Check in the frozen food section, usually in the "Hispanic foods" section. Make a syrup out of it and it lasts a good long time and is infinitely better than any store bought stuff.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 10:15 am   Permalink

Can someone post a recipe on making a syrup with the puree?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 07:11 am   Permalink

Hey, I'm unclear if you add the Goya puree to a simple syrup(half sugar, half water), or just with sugar alone? Also heat till boiling? Steep? Thanks in advance, I've got some in the fridge. I've used Finest Call Passion fruit syrup but I don't like it as much as Trader Vic's (back when it actually had passion fruit in it)

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation