FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The perils of passion fruit
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-30 07:15 am   Permalink

Tried calling the local Asian and Indian markets, and they didn't have any passion fruit of any type. One suggested I try Monin syrup.

I also tried calling the local Mexican market, but I don't speak Spanush and whoever answered didn't speak English. I can try dropping in, but the Yelp reviews indicate their selection is limited. I guess I need to stop being a cheapskate and order some online.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 07:54 am   Permalink

man, there's gotta be some kind of passionfruit (en espanol, "maracuya") juice, nectar, or frozen pulp at your mexicna/latin store. it's pretty common at most.

re syrup- i mix half thawed pulp, with half simple syrup.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-04-30 08:08 am   Permalink

I gave in and ordered it from BG Reynolds. I ordered two small bottles with the hope I can stick one in the fridge or freezer to preserve it. An added bonus is that my money is supporting a valuable member of the tiki community.

I ordered some falernum and a copy of Beachbum Berry Remixed to reduce the sting of the shipping. The biggest bummer is that I had ordered some other syrups from him less than a week ago, and if I'd realized at the time I wouldn't be able to get the passion fruit anywhere, I could have gotten it then.

First-world problems for sure!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-30 08:08 am   Permalink

My local grocery stores stock frozen mango and passion fruit puree, plus a couple other purees that I've never heard of. Rewards await those who explore the ethnic food freezer!

I have to date avoided any use of the Goya products, though. As I recall they had a lot of high fructose corn syrup (low "real ingredient" content) or something like that which made them unappealing for mixing into high-quality drinks.

I do have home-made mango pulp standing by in my freezer. I could be wrong, but I think that pretty much EVERY place occasionally gets fresh mangoes shipped in.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 09:49 am   Permalink

I usually mix equal parts by volume of sugar, water and passionfruit puree. Bring it to a boil slowly. Let it cool and bottle it. I go through it so quickly that I've never had problems with spoilage, but if you are concerned, add some vodka or silver rum to the mix.

We have a whole bunch of different nectars at our grocery stores down here in Fla. Never had much of a chance to play with them since I usually have pretty good access to the fresh stuff, but I would be interested to hear if anybody has had any experience with them. Might be a good "just in case" ingredient to keep behind the bar.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 10:48 am   Permalink

Thanks for the heads up, THB! I've been needing to make passion fruit syrup for awhile, and this thread lit a match under my arse.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-04-30 4:17 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, I got a chance to go to the local Mexican market and they had no passion.

GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-30 4:30 pm   Permalink

I allow the frozen pulp to thaw and then mix it with an equal amount (by volume) of simple syrup. I do not boil it, I simply bottle it. By not boiling the pulp and sugar syrup I feel that I get a fresher tasting passion fruit syrup.

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-04-30 16:30 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-30 5:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-30 16:30, GentleHangman wrote:
I allow the frozen pulp to thaw and then mix it with an equal amount (by volume) of simple syrup. I do not boil it, I simply bottle it. By not boiling the pulp and sugar syrup I feel that I get a fresher tasting passion fruit syrup.

That's exactly how I make mine. I don't worry about shelf life. I make it in smaller amounts and if I don't use it as fast as I think I need to, I just mix it with some soda water and a bit of lime and drink it. No waste that way.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 06:53 am   Permalink

Thanks for the answers!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

http://www.auntylilikoi.com/

They make great juice and syrup, the juice goes bad fast so use it all shortly after opening

The syrup lasts forever in the fridge

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-22 10:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-30 08:08, TikiTacky wrote:
I gave in and ordered it from BG Reynolds. I ordered two small bottles with the hope I can stick one in the fridge or freezer to preserve it. An added bonus is that my money is supporting a valuable member of the tiki community.

Yeah, thankfully I'm lucky to live in Portland and be able to drive to Blair's place, drink a cocktail, and pick it up in person. I haven't found a retail syrup that comes close to his yet.

[ This Message was edited by: karmalaundry 2013-05-22 22:12 ]

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-23 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-13 16:40, Dapuma1 wrote:
http://www.auntylilikoi.com/

They make great juice and syrup, the juice goes bad fast so use it all shortly after opening

The syrup lasts forever in the fridge

This is the only stuff I use. Order 6 bottles and it'll come in one box. Smaller bottles makes it easy to put in the fridge and keep your backstock on the shelf. The bottles are about th esize of a Starbucks small frappaccino. The best quality.

BG has good products but the shipping costs are crazy.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-05-24 10:07 am   Permalink

Ceres makes 100% passion fruit juice. You can find it at Whole Foods Market and Wal-Mart out here in California.
Whole Foods Market, which you do have in Boulder, would be my first stop for looking for the stuff.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-24 12:58 pm   Permalink

I checked every store I could think of: Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, Safeway, King Soopers, all the ethnic markets. There was no passion fruit of any kind, anywhere. Not even Monin syrup. Apparently we're a passionless society.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation