FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The perils of passion fruit
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-24 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-24 12:58, TikiTacky wrote:
I checked every store I could think of: Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, Safeway, King Soopers, all the ethnic markets. There was no passion fruit of any kind, anywhere. Not even Monin syrup. Apparently we're a passionless society.

It must be a regional ingredient. I can find the juice and the fruit out here. If you ask a grocery store to carry it they might. I'm surprised at what Target has started carrying after I asked.

According to the Los Angeles Times a passion fruit vine will grow like a weed out here once it gets established. They have very beautiful and alien looking flowers.
It would add a very tropical element to a garden if you can control its growth.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2012/05/passion-fruit.html

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-25 8:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-24 10:07, tikilongbeach wrote:
Ceres makes 100% passion fruit juice. You can find it at Whole Foods Market and Wal-Mart out here in California.

my grocery carries Ceres- however, pretty sure all their products are juice blends...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-25 8:11 pm   Permalink

still surprised no Goya frozen pulp in the frozen fruit/juice or frozen ethnic sections at Kroger out there (produced in Colombia)

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-27 5:58 pm   Permalink

so-- what is everyone hoping to mix up with their maracuya syrup, anyhow?

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-24 13:31, tikilongbeach wrote:
According to the Los Angeles Times a passion fruit vine will grow like a weed out here once it gets established. They have very beautiful and alien looking flowers.
It would add a very tropical element to a garden if you can control its growth.

We had some lilikoi growing out back a few years ago on a trellis hanging from our shed. It went down like this:

1 - Hope I remember to water this stuff
2 - Wow. This is growing really fast!
3 - Flowers!
4 - This is a lot of fruit. And I mean a LOT of fruit.
6 - Where is the shed?!

We eventually ended up tearing down the shed to build a micro-house, and never re-planted the lilikoi. It was nice - but if you don't pick the fruit they rot rather fast.

I know this won't help midwestern folks - but california and florida Tiki Centralites may be able to get one growing.

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-05-28 5:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-25 20:09, thePorpoise wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-05-24 10:07, tikilongbeach wrote:
Ceres makes 100% passion fruit juice. You can find it at Whole Foods Market and Wal-Mart out here in California.

my grocery carries Ceres- however, pretty sure all their products are juice blends...

You're right! The Ceres passion fruit juice is blended with other fruit juices. I didn't read the label until now.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-05-28 6:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-27 17:58, thePorpoise wrote:
so-- what is everyone hoping to mix up with their maracuya syrup, anyhow?

A lot of the drinks in Beachbum Berry's books call for passion fruit juice. It's one of the most commonly asked for ingredients.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-05-28 18:57 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-04 11:24 am   Permalink

I haven't had a use for passion fruit syrup yet but for Hurricanes I use the 12oz cans of Goya passion fruit nectar. I am not sure of whats really in them but they are only $.69 each so if I don't use a whole can its no great loss.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-07-04 11:45 am   Permalink

My quest for Passion Fruit continues with no success. Colorado is officially a Passion Fruit black hole.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 11:49 am   Permalink

Passion fruit nectar is not a substitute for passion fruit syrup. Totally different animal.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-04 12:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 11:49, happy buddha wrote:
Passion fruit nectar is not a substitute for passion fruit syrup. Totally different animal.

would you be able to turn it in to Syrup? Kind of like I do to make grenadine with POM juice?

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 12:55, stormrider wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-07-04 11:49, happy buddha wrote:

would you be able to turn it in to Syrup? Kind of like I do to make grenadine with POM juice?

Storm

The problem is that commercial passionfruit nectars and cocktails are already thinned out and chock full of added sweeteners so adding more sugar to make a syrup the way you would with pure juice or fruit isn't going to work well.

Once I found the groceries that carry the frozen pulp homemade passionfruit syrup became a snap. Recently I also found a Mexican commercial passionfruit syrup at the Latin grocery that is very good and only $5 for a 750ml bottle. There are some shelf stabilizers down on the ingredient list but the top three ingredients are passionfruit, water and sugar, with no artificial flavors or colors. I think homemade still works better in drinks that call for large amounts (e.g. The 2 oz of passionfruit syrup in a Grog Log Hurricane), but in amoints of an ounce or less it's as good as anything I have tried.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 3:13 pm   Permalink

brand?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

If you are out of luck getting any fresh juice, try the Monin's Passion Fruit Syrup
which you can get online if you don't have it in your area.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 4:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 15:13, thePorpoise wrote:
brand?

Looking at the bottle now. It's labled "Sirop de Parcha Poly" and I was wrong about it's country of origin. It is from PR and the producer is Halcon Baker.

I was also incorrect about there being no artificial coloring, as I see "rojo #40" down on the list of ingredients. No fake flavors though, and agua filtrada, azucar and pulpa de parcha are the first three ingredients.

Very sad that the only Spanish I know comes from food labels.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation