FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The perils of passion fruit
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-04 4:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 11:24, stormrider wrote:
I haven't had a use for passion fruit syrup yet but for Hurricanes I use the 12oz cans of Goya passion fruit nectar. I am not sure of whats really in them but they are only $.69 each so if I don't use a whole can its no great loss.

Storm

Happy Buddha is definitely right about passionfruit nectar and syrup being non-interchangeable. As a rough substitution, you'll need to us 4 oz of Goya passionfruit nectar/cocktail in place of the 2 oz of syrup the Hurricane recipe calls for.

Once you do find a passionfruit syrup that holds its own in a Grog Log Hurricane, I have a rum suggestion for you. Rhum Negrita. Mercilessly bashed by Beachbum Berry, this dark, burnt molasses Martinique rhum really can't be beat in a Hurricane once you have a bright/sweet-tart passionfruit syrup that can go toe-to-toe with it. Plus, at around $15 for a liter (at Florida Total Wine and Spirits outlets) it's a real bargain.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-24 6:16 pm   Permalink

Well I made my own syrup from the frozen Goya passion fruit pulp. I have to admit it does taste a lot brighter and more crisp in the drink. Combining that with homemade Pom grenadine made for a much better drink. I had been using the Pat O's version of the recipe. I am going to try the Bum's version next. It seems a lot dryer. I know it will be nothing like any hurricane I have had before but it looks good. I'll make one tonight with bottled lemon juice and try again when I get lemons tomorrow,

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-24 6:55 pm   Permalink

The Bum's version has potential but the bottled lemon juice sucks. I had to add a third of an ounce of grenadine to smooth it out. I will definitely give it a shot with fresh lemons tomorrow. They passion fruit syrup is definitely a keeper though.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 9:45 pm   Permalink

great source for your syrup and juice: http://www.auntylilikoi.com/

they ship 6 bottles per package so order accordingly

the syrup stays good forever in the fridge pretty much but the juice only lasts a short time once opened FYI

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 9:58 pm   Permalink

lemons, wtf?

storm, back away from that supposed original recipe, and stick w/the classic-- rum, passionfruit, lime.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 05:49 am   Permalink

I stick with the lemons as called for by the recipe. Have used limes in a pinch when I don't have lemons but overall I prefer this one with lemon.

The Grog Log recipe doesn't call for any sweetener beyond the passionfruit syrup, but with all that lemon juice a d depending on how burnt/bitter your 4 oz. rum choice is you may find that you need to add a little grenadine or simple syrup to hit the right balance. Because everyone assumes a Hurricane should be bright red a splash of grenadine will put the hue of the drink in that direction and add a little balancing sweetness. I'd say shake the drink up according to the recipe first, taste it and then make any necessary sweetener adjustments.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 07:03 am   Permalink

I find Jeff's Hurricane recipe -- which supposedly is authentic, as I've seen other sources for it -- very tart. I usually add some grenadine.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DarthMalaguti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-25 11:01 am   Permalink

Last weekend in Indianapolis on a hotel deck overlooking a canal, I served hand-mixed Hurricanes (Grog Log recipe) for a small group of friends. Over the course of the evening we ended up using seven bottles of Appleton Estate 12YO, and nine bottles of Aunt Liliko'i passion fruit syrup. The first couple of Hurricanes were a bit tart. I considered adding a splash of grenadine to tame the tartness, but the remedy ended up being a little extra shaking in the cocktail shaker which provided just the right amount of dilution. The hue was a bit off, but the end result was an absolutely perfect tasting cocktail.

As noted a couple of times in earlier threads, the Aunt Liliko'i Passion Fruit Syrup is hard to beat, and my personal favorite. If needed, I can make a pretty decent version at home. First I use either C&H Pure Cane Organic Sugar or Domino Pure Cane Organic Sugar, and make gomme syrup. I then mix equal parts Goya Passion Fruit Pulp with the gomme syrup. Using gomme syrup may seem a little overboard, but it comes close to creating the nice mouth feel of the Aunt Liliko’i passion fruit syrup.

View Profile of DarthMalaguti Send a personal message to DarthMalaguti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DarthMalaguti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-25 11:10 am   Permalink

Here's what the Goya Passion Fruit Pulp looks like. I've been fortunate to find it in every Latino Grocer I've ever visited. It can be found in the frozen foods section. It seems to be pretty good stuff. The ingredients simply read "passion fruit pulp".

[ This Message was edited by: DarthMalaguti 2013-08-25 11:12 ]

View Profile of DarthMalaguti Send a personal message to DarthMalaguti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 11:12 am   Permalink

I've found the Goya pulp in the stores here in Northern Virginia. I think the last place I saw it was Wegman's by Dulles.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-25 12:33 pm   Permalink

One if my local liquor stores now carries Finest Call Passion Fruit. I suppose I'll at least give it a try. With all the preservatives, it should have a shelf life of a few years.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

I've used the Finest Call Passion Fruit and it's not bad. Not great, but not bad.

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 5:07 pm   Permalink

And if you are in the right climate, you could always just get yourself a passion fruit (I would suggest the black knight or Frederick cultivars) so you can have the fresh stuff. The vines are cheap to get and pretty easy to care for.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 7:19 pm   Permalink

how many passionfruit does it take to get an ounce of juice?

seems like when i've bought them before they were all pulp no juice.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 11:08 pm   Permalink

It kind of depends on the variety and how well they grow where you are.

For me, one to two purples (the kind you most likely found in the store) could do it. If you were making a bottle of syrup you might be able to use less.

But some varieties are much larger and... yeah...

Extracting the juice is not too difficult, but I normally just use the whole interior (seeds and all) for cocktails and strain as I pour or just leave them in.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Passion-Fruit-Juice

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation