advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
The perils of passion fruit
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 4:54 pm   Permalink

On 2015-07-28 16:04, happy buddha wrote:
Thanks wupput.

So for those using the frozen pulp, what's the difference between boiling it with sugar & h2o vs just mixing it with sugar syrup?

I actually just mixed the pulp with sugar syrup and then strained it as I was pressed for time and couldn't wait around for cooling before I had to get to work. I'm not sure if boiling it down with sugar and water would make it more concentrated or any better. I'm happy with my results but perhaps it could be even better with a slight reduction. The instructions in Sippin Safari simply say to mix thawed frozen pulp and simple syrup.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 5:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks mike. I'm trying it both ways for comparison. Even just with the straight sugar syrup mix, I can honestly say I won't be buying any bottles of passion fruit syrup again. The difference is incredible. I think a gum syrup, as someone suggested, would be fun to try.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 6:22 pm   Permalink

On 2015-07-28 16:49, mikehooker wrote:
Thanks Wuppet for chiming in with your input and instructions! I just re-read the Bum's blurb about passion fruit syrup in the glossary of Sippin Safari (I think it might be the same in Remixed) and I mis-remembered. He states to not use commercial brand passion fruit JUICES to make the syrup, although his instructions to make the syrup call for frozen pulp and he makes no mention of using fresh fruit which I find puzzling if it's as cheap and easy as you say. I must have heard the part about the fruit not yielding much juice from somewhere else. I personally have never handled the actual fruit and didn't realize the apparent ease of juicing it as a friend said he has a great mixer we can use. If $3 of fresh passion fruit can yield around 12 oz of syrup, count me in!

It's a super easy fruit to get pulp from because the fruit is contained in a sort of hard but easy to cut outer shell. You cut the shell in half with a spoon you can just scoop all the pulp out in seconds. But availability might be the issue. Southern California has a large Southeast Asian community with ethnic grocery stores, so you can find fresh whole fruit in Vietnamese or Thai stores and I've even bought whole frozen fruit in them when the fresh fruit is out of season. People tell me passion fruit is a vine that is super easy to grow and spreads like wildfire, so my plan is to start growing my own soon. But in other parts of the country the situation could be totally different. I think you're good either way - if you can find the fresh fruit it's easier to get the pulp out than it is to squeeze a grapefruit, and it's easier to make passion fruit syrup than orgeat or pimento dram or falernum or anything, but I'm sure the frozen pulp works just fine too. Now time to make some Hurricanes with my syrup!

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 6:29 pm   Permalink

Yeah I think fresh would be a great way to go. I can't seem to find a single fresh passion fruit in miles though.

For the record, it seems the boiled method yields a richer, sweeter syrup than just mixing straight. But the problem there might be spoilage? How long does this stuff keep in the fridge? I think either one wins over pre-bottled for my tastes though. Hands down.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 10:05 pm   Permalink

Ok after sampling more cocktails than was wise for a Tuesday night, my completely biased opinion is this:

BG Reynolds & Finest Call make a very serviceable passion fruit syrup, but if you want that fresh passion fruit taste to really punch through, can't beat homemade. Not rocket science I guess...

Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-28 10:11 pm   Permalink

fresh passion fruit is not hard to find here, it's in the chain groceries, but somewhat pricy, i think a dollar or more per fruit. the kind w/purple husk. nice fragrance but very little pulp or juice in them, i've bought them before and found frozen Colombian passionfruit pulp is way easier for syrup making.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2015-08-18 12:07 pm   Permalink

So, I'm wondering what people's take on Perfect Puree's passionfruit concentrate is?
It's what I've been using, and generally the only thing I see people saying is that it's expensive, but I think that might be a misnomer. It's $25 a jar, for 30 oz by weight, but it's a 200% concentrate. This means that if you add 30 oz of water by weight you have standard passion fruit juice. So, a 60 oz jar is $25. The question I'm having with it is how much sugar should be in a passionfruit syrup? Perfect Puree's concentrate once diluted contains 7g of sugar for every 56g of juice, or 12.5% sugar content. BG Reynolds Passionfruit Syrup contains 17g of sugar per ounce or 56.6% sugar content, Monin Passionfruit contains 24g of sugar per ounce, or 80% sugar content. Should I be making a true 1:1 syrup then, or one slightly higher like BG Reynolds, or much higher like Monin?
If I do want a true 1:1 then I should be using 87.5g of sugar per every 100g of Perfect Puree Passionfruit juice (diluted concentrate), making the final sugar content 50%.

[ This Message was edited by: dfpratt09 2015-08-18 12:08 ]

View Profile of dfpratt09 Send a personal message to dfpratt09      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-16 12:26 pm   Permalink

dfpratt09, it really depends upon your own personal taste. Also, what works best in the particular cocktails that you make most often.

I like to have several different syrups on hand with different levels of sweetness or intensity. My own personal preference has changed over the years, and I've also discovered that some cocktails benefit from a syrup that's at the sweet end of the spectrum, while another may work best with a more tart syrup.

For example, I just posted a revamped recipe for the Sidewinder's Fang at The Mai-Kai that works best with the super sweet Monin:

But if I made a Rum Barrel, I'd probably use my homemade syrup, or something more tart. If you're not as obsessive as some of us, just make a homemade syrup that's somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and it should work fine.

FYI, I currently make my homemade syrup with 2 cups of organic sugar, 1 cup of purified water and 1/2 cup of thawed passion fruit pulp. I bring it to almost a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer and let it reduce for at least 10 minutes. I then let it steep for several hours before bottling and refrigerating. I like my syrup on the sweet side, and of course this works best in Mai-Kai cocktails.

I have no idea if this method is better than simply combining the pulp with a cooked simple syrup since I haven't tried that. I'm neither a chef nor a food chemist, but I suspect that letting the pulp and sugar come together while heating, along with letting it simmer, may make for a more cohesive and thicker syrup. It always seems to keep its syrupy consistency for quite a while with no additives.

The Week in Tiki * Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-09-16 12:27 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation