FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
The perils of passion fruit
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-05-11 09:10 am   Permalink

Jentiki, you're not the only one to feel that way. I hesitated to mention the dreaded WM word, however there are a number of things which they are very well stocked up on. Fruit pulps is often one of those things.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-11 09:49 am   Permalink

We have a supermarket here in Port St. Lucie, Fl that caters to the hispanic and caribbean ethnic groups, Bravo Supermarkets. They have the passion fruit pulp (a number of brands) and I usually pick some up here. Today I was in the soda isle and what did I see on the top shelf? La Cena brand syrups. Found this one and picked it up:

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, I usually make hurricanes and pieces 'o eight with it.

La Cena has a slew of different syrups (
http://lacenafoods.com/Products63.html ) and Bravo carries most, if not all of them. I'm kinda wondering how the coconut syrup stands up to Coco Lopez (probably not well) or TV's KoKo Creme (never found it here, so wouldn't know if I tried). The sugarcane syrup looks interesting but is black as hell....probably has some mollasess taste to it.

howlinowl

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2015-05-11 09:50 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-11 10:35 am   Permalink

forgot to list the ingredients:

Filtered Water
Sugar (Yay! No corn syrups!)
Passion Fruit pulp
citric acid (for tartness)
Xhanthan gum
1/10 of 1 percent sodium benzoate (preservative)

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-11 2:13 pm   Permalink

JenTiki, I feel the same way about Walmart. Maybe I need a couple of strong drinks at home - then go to Walmart and look for passion fruit pulp? (with a designated driver of course....)

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-14 12:10 pm   Permalink

Yes! The La Cena tastes exactly like the passion fruit syrup I make from the pulp. It's only about a buck or so more than the pulp...saves me the trouble of making my own. I'll be buying more.

howlinowl

wupput
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-31 9:53 pm   Permalink

First the bad news. The Passion Fruit syrup I bought from the Vietnamese market, the one made in Sumatra, was just ok. By that I mean better than most commercial brands, but not near as good as homemade or Aunty Lilikoi.

Now the good news. Orange County Passion Fruit score!! From this fine purveyor of exotic Oriental goods:

The ABC Supermarket in Westminister, which is surrounded by delectable Vietnamese eateries by the way, was selling bags of 5 frozen Vietnamese passion fruits for $2.49. If my calculations are correct that is somewhere in the range of 50 cents per fruit! Contrast with the price at Whole Paycheck, er... Foods, of $3 per fruit, or even the Farmer's market price I paid of $5 per pound.

So, after defrosting in the fridge for a couple of days, the moment of truth came and I cut one open. It was bursting with seeds and pulp. In fact, all of them were. By the time I had removed the pulp from each of my 15 passion fruit I had this:

Never having seen so much pulp, I tried to figure out how much syrup to make and ended up using 3 cups water and sugar. I went for the syrup boil, then add half the pulp, then bring to a quick boil, then remove from heat and add the rest. Which looked like this:

And a few hours later, like this:

Not sure how many ounces of syrup that is, but at least 50. Total price of all ingredients? Under $10. Taste? Tiki-worthy!

[ This Message was edited by: wupput 2015-05-31 21:53 ]

View Profile of wupput Send a personal message to wupput      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 12 days ago; 09:31 am   Permalink

My first time making passionfruit syrup this weekend. I used Frozen Chiquita Passion Fruit Pulp:

1:1:1 - sugar:water:pulp by weight. Half the pulp mixed in while the sugar dissolved, half added afterwards off the heat.

So one sachet gave me about 400 ml of syrup (this is a 750ml bottle):

The result - very sweet, with an intense flavor of passionfruit. The color and consistency are almost exactly the same as the BG Reynolds, but in blind taste tests, all my family preferred the home made.

Also makes a great Trader Vic's Grog

I'll definitely be making this in future instead of buying ready made, as I do with all simple syrups and grenadine. (Orgeat, however, is more trouble than it's worth). Will be trying Falernum next.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 6:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting your results. I've grown tired of the flavor of Monin and the BG Reynolds is good but pricey with a very short shelf life. I've found myself cutting drinks that call for passion fruit out of my repertoire lately because of this. Any idea the shelf life on your syrup? Do you plan to add a neutral grain spirit to prolong it?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 08:18 am   Permalink

I did add a little Everclear to the syrup, as I do with all the ones I make to help preserve. I am not sure how long it'll last in the refrigerator, probably longer than it will take for me to use it all. But as it's so quick and easy to make, and the frozen pulp is cheap enough, I'm not too concerned about wastage.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation