FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
The perils of passion fruit
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-28 06:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-23 10:07, howlinowl wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-05-11 09:49, howlinowl wrote:
We have a supermarket here in Port St. Lucie, Fl that caters to the hispanic and caribbean ethnic groups, Bravo Supermarkets. They have the passion fruit pulp (a number of brands) and I usually pick some up here. Today I was in the soda isle and what did I see on the top shelf? La Cena brand syrups. Found this one and picked it up:

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, I usually make hurricanes and pieces 'o eight with it.

La Cena has a slew of different syrups ( http://lacenafoods.com/Products63.html ) and Bravo carries most, if not all of them. I'm kinda wondering how the coconut syrup stands up to Coco Lopez (probably not well) or TV's KoKo Creme (never found it here, so wouldn't know if I tried). The sugarcane syrup looks interesting but is black as hell....probably has some mollasess taste to it.

howlinowl

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2015-05-11 09:50 ]

Well, that didn't last long. Looks like Bravo has stopped carrying the La Cena brand of syrups. They have some other brand.....Something Poly or Poly Something....but either Bravo doesn't carry the passion fruit or Poly-something doesn't make it. Back to mixing my own from pulp.

howlinowl

Cruised thru the beverage section of Bravo the other day.....they now have the Poly Passion fruit syrup. Picked up a bottle, but have not tried it yet. I still have a half bottle of homemade to finish before cracking this one.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-29 12:19 am   Permalink

I planted a PF vine last spring and got a couple of blooms and that was it. This year the vine has covered most of a 40’ x 6’ block wall and the vine has produced hundreds of flowers so I am anticipating lotsa fruit.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-17 01:09 am   Permalink

My vine now has many good sized fruit. Not due to ripen til late summer. Can hardly wait.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-06-18 10:01 am   Permalink

Are yours the purple or the yellow kind? And do both varieties taste the same?

My neighbor has a ton of the yellow-ish orange passion fruit growing in his back yard. He gave us some a couple months ago and we tried them off the vine and they were way under ripe. They're getting bigger and more plentiful now so he gave us a bunch more. Got busy and forgot about them for a few days. Then noticed they started getting real pruney so we cut em open and they tasted very bitter and not at all like the passion fruit flavor I know from consumer products or the syrup I make from pulp. What should they look like when you pull them? And do you need to use them right away? Curious if they continue to ripen off the vine or if they just go bad after a few days.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-19 01:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-18 10:01, mikehooker wrote:
Are yours the purple or the yellow kind? And do both varieties taste the same?

My plant is Passiflora Edulas “Frederick”-Purple fruit, Supposedly the best cultivar for eating and making beverages and syrups. We’ll see.
It’s important that they ripen on the vine for full flavor.They’ll let you know when they are ready cuz they fall to the ground. Pick em up once or twice a day and store them in a cool dry spot til they start to shrivel and look like big raisins. I know nuttin bout the yellow kine. Be warned-PF vines are very aggressive/invasive. I’m constantly pruning em back from my tomato plants. On the plus side they quickly covered a block wall and have a tropical air to them. Negatively, unless you have a lot of black Bee’s, you’ll have to hand pollinate the flowers after three in the afternoon if you want fruit.
Good luck

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-19 7:46 pm   Permalink

My fiance and I took her best friend from Kentucky to TV's in Emeryville a week or so ago. Her friend ordered the new drink that comes in the Sea Horse mug ... within a few minutes she started to have an allergic reaction ... blotchy, face getting puffy, etc. I went down to the little grocery store and brought back benadryl, which worked like a charm.

We think it was the passion fruit (took me awhile to tie this in, but I got there).

Apparently, it's a known allergy ... anyways always keep benadryl handy!

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation