FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
The perils of passion fruit
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-23 1:41 pm   Permalink

Rum Barrels with the home-made syrup is the only way to go. Since I started making it, I see no reason to buy a bottled brand. Auntie's is the best, but I think home-made has it beat, at a fraction of the cost. And I have yet to have any problems with spoilage. Plus you can adjust the sweetness/tartness to your taste.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-12-24 2:07 pm   Permalink

My super market no longer carries frozen passion fruit pulp. Tried another location with no luck. Checked the Asian market where I get my limes. Nada. Will check mexican markets next. I never imagined this becoming an issue. Too bad Lilikoi can't be found in stores. Was hoping to make some drinks for the fam over the holidays and now need to rethink the menu cuz I'm not gonna buy another bottle of Monin.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-24 2:45 pm   Permalink

What's wrong with the Monin? other then being on the sweet side
it is made of real sugar, natural flavors & has a better taste then most of the alternatives.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2015-12-26 11:46 am   Permalink

ATP: I just posted this the other day...

Quote:

On 2015-12-23 12:29, mikehooker wrote:
I used Monin the other night cuz it was all I had and my palate just can't handle it anymore. Maybe cutting the called for proportion in half will do the trick but I no longer feel the need to keep that stuff on hand. I used to put it in batches of Rum Barrels for parties since it was cheap but homemade is actually cheaper and so much better.

It just dominates every drink I put it in. I've used it for years but now that I've tasted better alternatives, I no longer enjoy it or care to have it in my bar. My dilemma now is that I suddenly can't find the frozen pulp to make my own.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-26 1:10 pm   Permalink

Agreed, there is no comparison to a good home made Passion Fruit syrup
and the Monin is very sweet, so you do cut back on the amount used per drink
but as far as store bought goes when you can't find B.G. REYNOLDS, I have had pretty good luck
with the Monin.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Adam Aku Aku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-12-28 5:24 pm   Permalink

I bought a half gallon jug at one of the larger Asian supermarkets in Portland. It was $11 and should last a lifetime. Been using it three years already.

View Profile of Adam Aku Aku Send a personal message to Adam Aku Aku  Email Adam Aku Aku     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-29 09:15 am   Permalink

I just posted a message in another "juices" thread with some photos of Ceres brand tropical juices. They sell passion fruit juice sweetened and diluted with pear juice.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42247&forum=10&vpost=756536

1) Technically their juices are "blends" because of the added pear juice. I think that the pear juice is used as a thinner/diluent to make a real juice. If you've made your own passion fruit syrup from scratch, you'll know how thick the pulp alone is. The pear juice may be fairly flavor-neutral.

2) They have wide North American distribution, and resellers are included in the post. If you are far away from their resellers, you can buy them through Amazon.

I will likely do a side-by-side test of their passion fruit juice versus my home-made passion fruit syrup. I want to use more than one tester, in a blind-taste scenario. When I do, I'll post results here.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-12-30 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-22 10:10, HopeChest wrote:
Working in downtown SF and living near Berkeley I have loads of great locals where I can get pretty much everything I need and then some, and usually within walking distance.

Everything except passion fruit syrup.

Trying to find this stuff around here has been frustrating to the extreme. I've been trying for months and months - it's rarer than hen's teeth. I know I could order online but that is somehow much less satisfying than walking out of a store with it, kind of like record shopping.

Well, when it rains it pours, London buses, lightning strikes twice, etc.

Whilst buying my weekly large bottle of Small Hand orgeat I saw Ledger's FINALLY got the SH passion fruit in, so I happily grabbed one. On the way home I stopped at the Ranch 99 market for some limes and after my millionth sweep of the aisles finally located the bottle on the right. I KNEW they had to have some! This is why I was never able to find it before:

I've not yet gotten into the Small Hand syrup but have put the Sarang Tawon syrup through its paces. It's from Indonesia and has no HFCS, only sugar. It's STRONG - really packs a punch and tends to dominate the drink. This rather surprised me. However, dial whatever the recipe calls for back by 1/4 oz. and it's lovely...

Thanks to your post, I picked up a bottle of the Sarang Tawon last weekend at the 99 Ranch market near me and I love using it. Thanks for the tips on TC to cut back the amount to keep the drink from getting too sweet. This is a vast improvement over the Finest Call puree I had resorted to before.
Cheers!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-12-31 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-12-30 11:39, finky099 wrote:

Thanks to your post, I picked up a bottle of the Sarang Tawon last weekend at the 99 Ranch market near me and I love using it. Thanks for the tips on TC to cut back the amount to keep the drink from getting too sweet. This is a vast improvement over the Finest Call puree I had resorted to before.
Cheers!

Brilliant! Glad that got you sorted out, mate. I'd actually always been slightly curious about that Finest Call puree so it's good to know this is a step up without wasting unnecessary cash like I did with Bols apricot brandy (UGH).

I don't know how much your market had the Sarang Tawon for but I have since used the ST and Small Hand back to back and I have to say that there really isn't a big difference between the two in a mixed beverage. Nowhere near enough a difference to have a distinct preference. Where I am (and using my pic as a reference), I can get three bottles of the Sarang Tawon for the price of that one small bottle of the Small Hand - that's a HUGE difference.

I've a fridge door laden with bottles of damn near every Small Hands product there is and I go through one of their big bottles of orgeat every week, but I feel that the Sarang Tawon is the no-brainer way to go if you can get it.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 10:02 pm   Permalink

For comparison's sake, I've gone through several bottles of both at this point and feel compelled to update. Hopefully I can explain this properly...

I find myself cutting the Sarang Tawon by slightly over 50% to get the right balance in drinks. A little goes a LOOOOONNNNNNG way. At first I was making up the difference with simple syrup but now I skip that altogether. I also found that if you grab the rock candy syrup by accident to make up the difference instead of simple syrup you may as well have not cut the Sarang Tawon at all and gone full strength. My squeeze bottles are labelled now.

From my first uses I was cutting back on the Small Hand just like I was the Sarang Tawon. It would either be right on the money or weak enough for me to wish I had bumped up the amount. As a result I started cutting back less on the SH than the ST and what I found surprised me - it seemed like there was a point where the SH stopped just getting more and more concentrated (unlike the ST). It was like going from .75 oz of Small Hand to a full ounce didn't up the passion fruit level inasmuch as it just seemed to give a lot more body to the overall flavour profile.

In the end I found the Small Hand to be pretty spot on with 1:1 ratios and giving drinks a subtle richness. The Sarang Tawon is something you need to work at taming for a good balance.

I think it's time to finally break down and order some Auntie Lilikoi PF syrup before trying my hand at homemade.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 9:11 pm   Permalink

Waiting for my syrup to cool so I can bottle it . Iím taking it down to San Diego -gonna use it in the Rum Barrels I concoct after returning to Humpreys from the Bali Hai tomorrow and monday.
I use the Goya pulp. Itís 14 oz. (weight), about 12 fluid ounces which I bring to a low boil with equal amounts of simple syrup. You end up with about 36 ounces of very good syrup. Lasts for months in the fridge.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 12 days ago; 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-01-30 21:11, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

I use the Goya pulp. Itís 14 oz. (weight), about 12 fluid ounces which I bring to a low boil with equal amounts of simple syrup. You end up with about 36 ounces of very good syrup. Lasts for months in the fridge.
Cheers

This is exactly how I've been doing it and have enjoyed it plenty, but the other night I decided to experiment a little more. First, I made a cold process batch (equal parts pulp/sugar/water by volume, shaken like crazy, then double strained) because that was the half assed hurried way I made it my very first time and it tasted good to me. I've boiled each batch since, but ultimately was trying to determine if heating, waiting and making a mess was entirely necessary as both ways tasted just fine to me. So I put a boiled batch to the test and actually found the cold process to taste slightly better. The heated one was still great but had a little extra sourness to it.

Next, I compared the favored cold process (1:1:1) to Hurricane Hayward's version posted on the previous page (2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1/2 oz pulp, boiled, etc). This, being a rich syrup, had the texture of Monin with a milder but very delicious flavor. I suddenly realized the equal parts method I'd been doing really just made passion fruit juice, not syrup. Head to head and in mixed cocktails, I preferred Hayward's ratio over a simple 1:1:1, cold or heated.

I may do one more comparison batch before I declare that one the unanimous winner. Thinking 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and 1 cup passion fruit. It may lose some of the thick consistency but should bring more of the passion fruit flavor to the forefront.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 3:46 pm   Permalink

Tanks Mike,I like these kind of experiments.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation