FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
coconutz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-22 02:07 am   Permalink

Anyone know of an authentic Zombie drink recipe? And does anyone have or has seen an authentic Zombie mug?

View Profile of coconutz Send a personal message to coconutz  Email coconutz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 09:10 am   Permalink

There are a lot of Zombie recipes out there. As to what's authentic... no idea

There are 2 books I'd look in,
Intoxica, and Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine by Don the Beachcomber. The former researched by intrepid explorers of tropical drinks, the latter by Don the Beachcomber's wife.

Authentic Zombie mug.... heck, anything with a good Zombie in it!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-22 12:36 pm   Permalink

Intoxica, though a great recipe book by Jeff Berry, does not have the Zombie. However, the Zombie is in Jeff Berry''s previous book of recipes The Grog Log.

When Don the Beachcomber invented the Zombie in the 1930s tiki mugs weren't yet in use. The drink is traditionally served in a tall slender glass often called a chimney glass.

Of course, there is no reason why you can't serve it in any vessel you want. I have yet to see a ceramic mug in the image of a zombie .

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 12:47 pm   Permalink

Ahoy hoy,
We just got a new Grog Log in the mail today. Zombies are a fave of mine:

1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz papaya nectar
1/2 oz applejack
Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz Barbados rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz 151 rum

Shake it all, except the 151, with cube ice. Pour in to tall Collins/chimney glass. Float the 151. Garnish: mint sprig, pineapple cube bewtween red and green cherries. A pinch of powdered sugar over the top.

That sounds good, hmm...it's 5 o'clock someplace!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 12:54 pm   Permalink

TheJab wrote:
Quote:
Intoxica, though a great recipe book by Jeff Berry, does not have the Zombie.

errr, what about page 34?

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-22 2:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-22 12:54, tikimonkey wrote:
TheJab wrote:
Quote:
Intoxica, though a great recipe book by Jeff Berry, does not have the Zombie.

errr, what about page 34?

Sorry about that folks! I thought it was in the Grog Log and I don't have the books here at work (though it would be nice to shake one up about now). You NEED both books anyway.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-22 12:36, thejab wrote:
I have yet to see a ceramic mug in the image of a zombie .

You're having a bad day Jab...

From Munktiki, of course.

I prescribe a Zombie. Just one should get you back to par.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2003-05-22 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-22 12:47, midnite_tiki wrote:

1 oz lime juice
3/4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz papaya nectar
1/2 oz applejack
Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 oz dark Jamaican rum
2 oz Barbados rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz 151 rum

midnite

Despite it being in the Grog Log and all, personally I really don't care for this recipe. Laird's Applejack is some pretty vile stuff. Paint thinner might work just as well and maybe even taste better. I very much doubt that this is the original Don The beachcomber Zombie recipe. I would believe the one given in Intoxica to be closer.

I also have my own recipe that I think works pretty well.

- 1 oz Spiced Rum (Trader Vic’s Spiced, Captain Morgan, or Redrum Voodoo)
- 1-1/2 oz aged Rum (Rhum Barbancourt preferred, or Mount Gay Sugar Cane)
- 1 oz Dark Rum (Myers’s, Whaler’s, Pusser’s blue label)
- 1 oz Apricot Brandy or Apricot Liqueur
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- teaspoon Falernum
- ½ oz Passion Fruit or mango syrup
- 4 oz Papaya Pineapple juice/nectar (or just papaya)
- a little cherry brandy optional
- ½ oz 151 demerrara float

It's not an original Zombie, either, but has been said before nobody really knows what the original Zombie is. As long as it contain 4 oz of blended rums and some type of tropical fruit juice, maybe *anything* could be a zombie.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 10:22 pm   Permalink

I prefer the Zombie recipe that has the Apple Jack in it. Gotta nice littke kick in it. I've tried the other recipe in Intoxica, the 'Tonga Zombie' I think it is, made with passion fruit syrup. That one's not bad either. I haven't done the true Don the Beachcomber recipe. Maybe after writing this post I'll remember to pick up some brown sugar. Anwyay, coconutz you can check out the previousTiki Central thread entitled ZOMBIE!!!!!! for more info and a picture of one of my home made Zombies in the proper 'chimney' glass.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2003-05-22 22:23 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

There is a whole lot of variation in recipies. The original recipe in the Don book is mostly fine aged rums and plenty of them (4.25 oz. of regular and 1 oz. 151!), plus various liqueurs, flavorings, and juices, none of which seem to be common to multiple Zombie recipies (with the exception of lime juice). Don's recipe in Intoxica that's from the 1950s is quite different with less rum and totally different ingredients. The Trader Vic recipe from 1972 is pretty dull with just 2 oz. of light and gold rum, curacao, and some juices.

Piphiro has the right idea. Put in 3-5 different rums, some fresh juice and a flavoring or 2, and you're set. But don't waste the real good rum in a Zombie.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-05-23 07:45 am   Permalink

In "Bar and Cocktail Book: A Complete Guide to the World's Drinks and How to Mix and Serve Them"
by Michael Jackson, the zombie is described as A JOKE DRINK and furthering the insults claims the purpose of the drink is "to cram as many types of rum into a glass like students in a phone booth".
I shant offend this board by repeating what Michael Jackson has to say about the SCORPIAN or MAI-TAI.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 08:10 am   Permalink

From "Hawaii, Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine" by Don the Beachcomber.
3/4 OZ Lime Juice
1/2 OZ Grapefruit Juice
1/2 OZ Fallernum
1/2 OZ Simple Syrup
1-1/4 OZ Light Puerto Rican Rum
1 OZ Lemon Hart Demerara Rum
1 OZ Meyers's Dark
1 OZ Appleton Estate Rum
1 OZ Ron Zacapo Rum (or MT. Gay?)
2 dashes Pernod
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 Dash Absinthe, Pernod
3 dashes Grenadine
3/4 Marashino Liquor
Pour all ingredients into a blender with a handful of cracked ice. pour into 14 OZ glass with a few ice cubes. Garnish with spear of pineapple, orange, cherry and sprig of mint. serve with straw.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=727&forum=1&start=0

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 09:41 am   Permalink

Great bejesus! I'd be sober by the time I figured out how to pour that drink. Or, by the time I figured out what Fallernum is.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2003-05-23 09:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 08:10, Alnshely wrote:
From "Hawaii, Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine" by Don the Beachcomber.
3/4 OZ Lime Juice
1/2 OZ Grapefruit Juice
1/2 OZ Fallernum
1/2 OZ Simple Syrup
1-1/4 OZ Light Puerto Rican Rum
1 OZ Lemon Hart Demerara Rum
1 OZ Meyers's Dark
1 OZ Appleton Estate Rum
1 OZ Ron Zacapo Rum (or MT. Gay?)
2 dashes Pernod
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 Dash Absinthe, Pernod
3 dashes Grenadine
3/4 Marashino Liquor

Now that might well be original given that Absinthe has not been legally available in the US since before prohibition. Don seemed to have a thing for Pernod and put it in a lot of his drinks. I have never seen it used in a Zombie recipe before. But "2 dashes Pernod" and "1 dash Absinthe, Pernod" seems a bit odd.

Actually, the best Zombie I ever had was made for me by an unknown bartender at a now long closed disco in the San Fernando Valley in the 70s (of course). I have no idea what he put in it but it was like none of the recipes I have ever seen. I have been trying for years to reproduce it and have never even gotten close.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-23 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 09:41, Luckydesigns wrote:
Great bejesus! I'd be sober by the time I figured out how to pour that drink. Or, by the time I figured out what Fallernum is.

For Falernum:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3714&forum=1&7

Damn upsetting to read that quote from Michael Jackson. I really respect his opinions about Belgian beers and single malts. Looks like he's going to need a good ass-kicking about tropical drinks. Tony, Woody, the rest of Team UK: Find the red-nosed, hairy son of a bitch and pour a real Mai Tai down his throat. He must recant!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation