FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 10:10, martiki6 wrote:
Tony, Woody, the rest of Team UK: Find the red-nosed, hairy son of a bitch and pour a real Mai Tai down his throat. He must recant!

He certainly knows his beers, but perhaps his taste buds are so keenly tuned that he can only appreciate dry, bitter tastes. Anything vaguely sweet probably just makes his hair straighten.

Of course, not all Zombie mixers pay such attention to detail as Tiki Centralites. It's more than likely that MJ's Zombie experience was at the hands of what we'd class as an amateur.

Still, should we meet, words about the Zombie will be spoken.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 6:05 pm   Permalink

Well, look anybody willing to call themselves "Michael Jackson" these days can't be all that trustworthy now can they? What with dangling babies out the window and all that, who'd take 'em seriously? Clearly this man is an impostor. Zombies rule!

-JTD

[ This Message was edited by: JTD on 2003-05-23 18:07 ]

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconutz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-21 7:52 pm   Permalink

Tank use one and all for all the Zombie recipes! What frightening concoctions! Eerie zombie mug! Simplicity is best I believe, however so try out this basic brew. After my first, my face numbed, after the 2nd, I forgot my name:
ZOMBIE
2 oz. rum (any)
1 oz. apricot brandy
Then fill glass with equal parts fresh orange,lemon and grapefruit juices. Shake or stir with ice. A splash of grenadine is nice on top. You will be zombified!

View Profile of coconutz Send a personal message to coconutz  Email coconutz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-21 19:52, coconutz wrote:
Tank use one and all for all the Zombie recipes! What frightening concoctions! Eerie zombie mug! Simplicity is best I believe, however so try out this basic brew. After my first, my face numbed, after the 2nd, I forgot my name:
ZOMBIE
2 oz. rum (any)
1 oz. apricot brandy
Then fill glass with equal parts fresh orange,lemon and grapefruit juices. Shake or stir with ice. A splash of grenadine is nice on top. You will be zombified!

A good start but methinks it needs more rum or it's not a Zombie. Throw some 151 in there too (Demarara if you have it). After 2 you should become the living dead!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 07:29 am   Permalink

There's a Zombie recipe in the BoT. Don't know the page, but I've blended that one and it's not bad. The best Zombie I've tasted is David Chan's blend at the Honolulu Restaurant in D.C.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 07:53 am   Permalink

^Just make sure to hand your car keys off to someone before you start drinking David's Zombies. Thankfully, I usually count on my wife to get me home from the Honolulu.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 08:17 am   Permalink

Here is another version.I found this gem of a book in a garage sale.The name of the rums shows it's age of the formula. I have not tried it yet(powdered sugar?).

This is from "The Official Mixer's Manual" by Patrick Gavin Duffy, Copy 1934, New York.

Zombie
3/4 oz. Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz. Papaya Juice
Juice of one lime
3/4 oz. Powdered Sugar
1/3 oz. Apple Brandy
1 oz. Rum, 90 Proof
2oz. Tropical Gold Seal Rum, 86 Proof
1 oz. White Label Rum
Ice generously and shake. Garnish with a slice of pinapple, a green and a red cherry. THEN FLOAT ON TOP RUM OF 151 PROOF. Top off with fine powdered sugar

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-07-22 08:18 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 10:09 pm   Permalink

Yet another variation:

1 1/2 ounces golden rum
1 ounce dark rum
1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
1 1/2 ounces pink grapefruit juice
2 teaspoons superfine sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grenadine
3 teaspoons passionfruit syrup
1 teaspoon 151 proof rum

(151 can be mixed into the drink or floated on top and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar)

Garnish with fruit wedge, mint and maraschino cherry.

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 7:30 pm   Permalink

here are a couple i just found though i haven't tried them yet
2 measures dark rum
2 measures light rum
1 measures golden rum
1 measurestriple sec
1 measures lime juice
1 measures orange juice
1 measures pineapple juice
1 measures Guava juice
1 tbsp grenadine
1 tbsp
orgeat
1 tsp pernod

1 measures golden rum
1 measures dark rum
1 measures white rum
1 measures apricot brandy
1 measures lime juice
1 measures pineapple juice
1 tsp rock candy

in ounces
1/2 white rum
1/2 golden rum
1/2 dark rum
1/3 cherry brandy
1/3 appricot brandy
1 3/4 pineapple juice
1 orange juice
1/3 lime juice
2/3 papaya juice
dash orgeat
dash 151 (demerara rum)

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 11:41 pm   Permalink

The last time I had a Zombie was when I was at the Trader Vic's in Atlanta. It was alot different from the recipes that are in 'Intoxica' & 'Grog Log', and it actually seemed simpler to make. Joel (the bartender ) showed me, but I totally forgot and wish that I remembered it. I actually liked it more than the ones listed in the two books. The only thing that I can remember was that it had grenadine in it, and was red in color. Anybody know of this one?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-12 4:52 pm   Permalink

This is the Zombie recipe I use:

3 1/2 oz Rum
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
3/4 oz Apricot Brandy
1/4 oz Simple Syrup or Orgeat
1 oz Lime Juice

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 7:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-11 23:41, donhonyc wrote:
The last time I had a Zombie was when I was at the Trader Vic's in Atlanta. ... Joel (the bartender ) showed me, but I totally forgot , Anybody know of this one?

A little late, but here goes (as published in the Atlanta Journal, reportedly from "the bartender at Trader Vic's, Joel"):
-Juice of half a lime
-1 1/2 oz. fresh orange juice
-1 oz. lemon juice
-1/4 oz. (Trader Vic's) grenadine
-1 oz. curaçao
-1 oz. light PR Rum
-1 oz. Dark Jamaican Rum
-Scoop of shaved ice
-Garnish w/fresh mint leaves
(Repeat as necessary)

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 10:17 pm   Permalink

Here's the recipe that I doubled at the collegiate national championship football game last year. There were 30 people here. The recipe says it's for 60 - so we had a people to booze factor of 1 to 4. Vic must have hung out with sissies.

From the Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink:

2 bottles Red Heart or Myers
4 bottles Ron Merito or Brugal
1 bottle Demerara 151 (Lemon Hart)
2 bottles DeKuyper or Nuyens Curacao
3 quarts lemon juice
3 quarts orange juice
1 quart grenadine
2 ounces Herbsaint or Pernod.

Mix ingredients thouroughly, chill with large cake of ice in punch bowl, letting it stand an hour or two before serving.

Ohio State won and we all danced around for about 2 hours singing and hugging and crying.
Hey, it's been a while.

Also - some of the crowd wouldn't touch our offering and drank several cases of beer.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 10:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Kava King...

Yowshuh!!!!! That sounds about right. I'll try that one. As I recall the recipe wasn't too complicated, and that one you listed doesn't seem complicated either. I'll get on that right away. Thanks! Now if I could only get this mouse out of my kitchen.....

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-15 10:17 am   Permalink

I was just emailed the Bali Ha'i version of the zombie recipe, tasty!

Zombie
Makes 1 drink
Ice
1 ounce light rum
1 ounce Meyers Original Dark Rum
1/2 ounce triple sec
Dash of creme de noyaux or grenadine
2 ounces orange juice
2 ounces sweet and sour mix or pineapple juice
1/2 ounce 151-proof rum

Garnish
1 pineapple, orange or lemon wedge
1 maraschino cherry
1 tiki umbrella

Fill a 14-1/2-ounce glass with ice. Over the ice, pour rums, triple sec, creme de noyaux, orange juice and sweet and sour mix. Stir contents. Top with 151-proof rum. Garnish and serve.

(From Sam Choy's Hawaii at the Bali Ha'i.)

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation